Looking for a new bigger "screen"

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by anticupidon, Dec 28, 2020.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Gurus, I need some advice.
    For now in our living room the media content is viewed on a 24" Dell monitor. But two things happened lately.
    One, we started to receive more visits form close friends (with kids) and also some other close friends without kids.
    And we watched some media content...was a challange to find a place from where you can watch that content.

So the second thing that happended is related to the first:
    Technology gets older, so our tried and true 24"Dell monitor is not enough anymore.

And for those who have a good memory and will remeber my opinion about TV: For my use a TV is a screen. As long as it is not connected to the internet and all connections made by the TV (paranoid mode on,hope not) will be blocked by the pfsense router.

So now, after the long introduction I ask you:
    I am looking for a 43" 4K TV to use as a screen. Will not connected to the internet, only connected to my HTPC via HMDI /DisplayPort cable. Sound is not of importance, as I will hook my Edifier self speakers to provide sound. Budget is max 350€.
    So, I am new to this TV area. I am asking for the best panel, Hz, and all media standards for 2020 for my budget.
    What I searched for now and I am still reading reviews:

HiSense 43AE7200F

TCL 43EP640

Samsung UE43TU7100

TL/DR My 24"monitor has gotten old and small for our HTPC. I need a bigger screen.

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Well, seems that I'll have to wait more for your opinions.
    Meanwhile, I'll try to read some more if I'll find time.
    Thanks in advance!

3. rflair

rflair Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    @rflair thank you sir, the 4:4:4 detail is what I was missing the whole time.

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Update.
    While discussing house improvements and tech upgrades wife just plain told be that she hates the idea of a smart TV. She fancies rather a bigger screen, a monitor.
    So, looking for a 32" or bigger monitor for 500€. Doesn't have to be the latest and the greatest, just for casual gaming (60-75Hz) and movies.
    OLED would be great.

6. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Me same, anti spyware BS. Go OLED, turn off the SMART TV options, disable ideally, do NOT plug in Ethernet and PW protect your WIFI so the TV would not pick it up by "accident".

HandR likes this.
  7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Turn off the SMART TV options? More like open up the TV insides and work my magic with the soldering pencil, removing microphone and camera.

The AP are PW protected, and pFsense software can work something to block whatever I choose to.
    Trouble is that there are some shady free open AP, more like honey pots around.

Saw this...but not OLED. Just a VA panel.
    https://www.amazon.com/portal/custo...dL&imageExtension=jpg&reviewId=R2NNOFM9MYO0BV

Valken likes this.
  8. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    VA panels are not bad for gaming. It just that for Cinema, IPS looks better but after you have seen OLED, there is no going back.

Do you have Xiaomi products in your area? 55" OLED for 658 Euros!!! That is a steal even if you disable all the "Smart TV" garbage and use it as a pure monitor:

https://xiaomiplanets.com/xiaomi-mi-tv-oled-v21/

9. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Yes, there is even a brick and mortar Xiaomi store nearby.
    Yet, from all Android Smart TV, Xiaomi is what I despise the most. Google data mining combined with CPR data mining. Privacy advocates rejoice!
    But I'll see one in person, and seek the schematic. Need to know where should I operate to make it deaf and blind for real, in the case I'll buy one.

10. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    My quest is far from over, but I’ve reached to some conclusions that might make to come to a sooner decision.
    To context, a non-*smart, dumb-TV is basically a monitor.

To buy a 4K 32-43 non-smart TV or dumb TV from brands like Sceptre here in Europe, it’s almost impossible, or it would take long times, and shipping a TV from the States, even with insurance is a gamble and some time and money wasted.

Buying a smart TV and not connecting to the internet could be a reasonable solution. However, a smart-TV will always scan to a open WiFi. Once a AP is open, it will connect and start to transmit whatever. Another reason no to pursue this avenue is paying for a thing you wouldn’t use fully and spending money to smart TV market, which I despise.

Another option is buy a panel used for digital signage, but the prices are insanely high. Yiama, Bravia, NEC are offering 4K 43" panels starting from 1500€ and well beyond 2300€.

So basically I am left with the option to buy a large 34" or bigger monitor and used as a display/TV, to say so.
    Found these monitors:

1 Sceptre 34" Ultrawide E345B-QUT168
    2 My Curved Monitor 34" from Xiaomi

Both with their pros and cons. Anyone with more knowledge about monitors and their technologies can chime in ?

11. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    After a lot of searches, criteria, avalaibility, specs, the minutiae of searching, I decided not to lose my mind and time over this matter.
    If I would apply all the criteria, the monitor that meets that would be:

Unavailable , because chip shortage and regional manufacture
    Too heavy and too expensive, because digital signage panels are not TV, just some beefy monitors.

So, I had to gave up something and I did. I went out and bought the LG 43UN700-B specs here:
    https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-43un700-b-4k-uhd-led-monitor

Once I'll get my hands on it, I'll try to review it, maybe it would help someone out there to take a decision.
    It's not perfect, the monitor, but it's the closest I could get.

DannyD likes this.
  12. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti FE
    I find monitors the most difficult of all pc hardware to choose, i've been using a 32" 1440p for years now, you need some serious horsepower for 4k but it's the best res imo.

anticupidon likes this.
  13. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Serious horse power, as in gaming on it, right? No plans to gaming on my HTPC.
    Just for watching content, my current 3400G will be enough?
    Nevertheless, my HTPC could be upgraded to a beefier APU. Or buy a PS5 and have it as gaming and multimedia console.

DannyD likes this.
  14. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti FE
    I'd be happy gaming 4k on a 3070ti 16gb.

15. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Got the monitor yesterday.
    Connected my HTPC to it, using the included cables.
    Well, it's HUGE.
    It's a new thing, having to move the head to follow the cursor on that big screen estate.
    Had to scale up the desktop and user interfaces.
    Just for fun, fired up Black Mesa and Tomb Raider. It ran, but 25-30 FPS oh Tomb Raider and same or less on Black Mesa.
    Had to OC the 3400 up to 4100 GHz from stock 3700, allocate 8GB from the 16 available and OC the RAM to 3200.
    At stock speeds, Netflix streaming was using more than 60% CPU power and 80% iGPU.

I don't know, what you guys want me to post about this monitor?
    Took some pictures, but before uploading, I thought to ask if anyone wants more details about the monitor.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021

16. Lloyd_Braun

Lloyd_Braun Member

GPU:
    Asus rog strix 3080
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
  17. SplashDown

SplashDown Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    I just picked this up a week ago, https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hisense-58-Class-4K-UHD-LED-Roku-Smart-TV-HDR-58R6E/479239112 ..and I picked a good 1 too, picture nice and crisp. And price well $400.00 dollars ain't bad at all I looked at Vizio and Samsung also but the Hisense was better by far. Says it has a good low latency game mode but havn't messed with it yet. The Samsung 55 was $600.00 and the picture wasn't close to Hisense, the word is the Samsung UHD class 6 series is a crappy TV on this lower level tier of TV's.

18. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Somehow related, but at a stretch.
    Some business partner had to change a screen used to show digital signage material pushed by a dedicated player.
    They haven't be able to buy a monitor over the weekend, they got a smartTV instead.
    Well, what do you know.
    Somehow, that TCL smartTV connected itself to a open network, and updated itself.
    After a few minutes, started to broadcast ads over the content served by the player connected to the HDMI.
    Like having your console connected, and during your game ads start to pop up outta nowhere.
    And all that with all setting on OFF.