looking for a gaming monitor 1440p ips

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by ramthegamer, Nov 3, 2016.

1. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    i have been looking to replace my full hd samsung tv with a new gaming monitor at 1440p, but i still see that 1440p gaming is a niche market, as i can see the monitors are pretty expensive if one wants to get gsync and or 120hrz monitors, any recommendations? i can't break the bank to get a 600 $ monitor, it is simply too expensive right now, id rather buy a tv than get a monitor for that price.

2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Crossover 2795 - 1440p 96hz $350
    This is better version of korean monitor with a solid panel. Make sure the model you purchase has only "DVI dual link" port. Also do your research before buying one, see if other people from Dubai had experience buying it from e-bay and if they had any bad experience with delivery.

Regarding specs, keep in mind there no Free-Sync or Gsync support, so you have to stick with vsync + stable frames for best experience.
    I myself use this monitor with 970. In some games I set video settings to medium or high to stabilize 96 fps.

If you want to experience QHD and higher refresh rate, while accepting the fact that you have to lower video settings in some games, I say get monitor.

There also cheaper korean models, check overclockers monitor forums for recommended ones.

Good luck.

3. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    do you think 1080 p 144hrz is a good option? i can still max games at 1080p in the future and not worry about the fact that 1440p will be a hassle to run at 60 fps without dual gpu setups etc..

4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    It depend on your needs. If you want best graphics and most smooth image, yeah go for 1080p 144hz. 970 will be fine for that. You also got strong CPU, so it shouldn't be problem to aim for 144 fps.

1440p is good choice once you want to get a bigger monitor.

Dual GPU setup should really not be mentioned (for how awful it performs or might not perform at all). If you need strong GPU power to drive demanding games on higher quality, get single Nvidia 1070 or 1080.

5. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    A monitor, is a piece of hardware you're not likely to upgrade etc. as you would a Video card, sound card, coolers etc. etc. When you plan on keeping something like a good gaming monitor, don't buy one for the sake of having one based on your budget today. Save up for a while, and do it right, from the get go. You can find something now that's in your budget, but you may never really be happy with it. Take your time. Be frugal, and Invest smartly.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I've probably got a fairly equal LCD to GPU upgrade ratio

7. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    That is some excellent advice. Personally OP i'd go for something like the crossover suggested...

But I can def vouch for Benq quality. My current is 5+ yrs now and still looks great. (perhaps I can see a touch of backlight bleeding in one place...or is ghosting not sure).

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  8. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Only issue i see with the crossover monitor as with the qnix is the only option is dual dvi ... some cards did away with dvi and if it keeps heading that way it would be a waste.

9. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I was afraid of same, but most vendors add DVI for their cards. Nvidia still has DVI port on official (foundry edition) cards and AMD cards got their DVI port attached by vendors.
    I don't think DVI port is going to disappear any soon, but need to be thought through.

10. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE

11. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
  12. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    i just bought the un40 ku7000 4k smart samsung tv, i hooked it with hdmi (10.2gb transfer rate) onto pc, all resolutions are showing, such as the native 4k resolution, but i can't run cs go when i set the resolution to 1440p, the game exits and i cannot run it again anymore, unless i change the desktop resolution back to 720p and back to 1080p. do i need a display port to be able to run cs go at 1440p? what do i need to run 2k gaming on this tv?

13. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I dont think HDMI (1.3 or 1.4) in your case can pull 1440@60hz. Maximum cappable tranfer rate is up to 1440@50hz.

Set custom resolutin for 1440@50hz, see if it helps.
    You can check more supported resolutions on HDMI wiki page.

Personally, buying TV for competetive games like a csgo is pretty bad choice. Low refreshrate and display delay makes you feel bad when enemy headshots you before you even get chance to see them.

14. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    This. The Korean monitors may be good for the price but no point going cheap or skipping features you want just because you want it now. If you want gsync there are decent 1080p models for $400 or less. The ASUS swift models are great now that the manufacturing bugs have been mostly worked out

15. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    cs go now feels super responsive with the low input lag the tv has, feels just like my acer 19 inch 4ms response time monitor on the other pc.
    btw what do u mean by hdmi 1.3? how is the 2.0 hdmi then? what's the difference and is the cable different or what?

16. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    please use wiki or google HDMI versions specs. Its all there.