looking for a cooler (7700k oc)

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by appletechgeek, Dec 3, 2019.

1. appletechgeek

appletechgeek New Member

GPU:
    gtx 1070
    so i got a new case. and for all costs i wanted to put my pc in it so i had to cut some of the fins off my noctua nh-d15 to get it in. good enough for now but i'm looking for a new air cooler.
    problem is.
    the case has a max of 150 clearance.
    but after some investigation a 165mm wil fit. but the heatsink has to be higer away from the gpu (and a couple off mm more away from the memory side but a slight bend in the heatsink fixed that)
    my i7 7700k is currently delidded and replaced the TIM on the die with liquid metal aswel as liquid metal on the ihs to the cooler
    i dont have any max load readings yet since i'm still finishing the system
    but before any liquid metal stuff the max temps were 95c @ 5ghz max load
    i'm just looking for coolers that are the absolute best possible that would fit in this case. budget for a cooler would be around 200 euros max.
    i used to have a 360mm aio and that thing barely kept my x5670 cool at stock speeds so hence why i'm more intrested in air coolers atm.
    the case i am using is the thermaltake level 10
    and from some rough measures it seems that the cooler has to be atleast 4~ cm away from the first pcie slot to properly fit in.
    https://imgur.com/a/S3Prqfe here i got some imagine of the disaster :p
    as you can see the little "lip" shows a nice indication to the max the cooler can sag down to.

for those being mad about me destroying a 100 dollar cooler
    think of this.
    would you rather destroy a 100 dollar replacable cooler or a roughly 1500 dollar case thats very rare and hard to get by drilling holes into it to fit your cooler?

thank you in advance for your tips and advice for what cooler to get.

2. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi there

From my personal experience I would go with Noctua NH-D15/D15S or Thermalright Le Grande Macho RT,BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro and many other which performed very nicely on my 5960X with 4.6GHz,I tested all these CPU coolers on my 5960X and all of them performed quite good there

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

3. toyo

toyo Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    You already have probably the best air cooler, the D15 you chopped off. You have a 1500$ case... and a 4 core CPU? Why? Doesn't make any sense. And a 1500$ case that's not even spacey enough to accommodate the big air coolers? I mean, you can fit the D15 even on smaller cases like the Meshify C which cost 10 times less.

Anyway, if you want to stick with the case, just go liquid. Get then biggest AIO you can get or just go full custom loop. Plus, a delidded 7700K should not be that hard to cool unless you try to run it at 1.45V and the like for AVX prime95 runs.

4. appletechgeek

appletechgeek New Member

GPU:
    gtx 1070
    yeah i've decided to bite the bullet. in march i wil do a full custom loop in this case
    wich is going to be challenge as 1 its my first custom loop and 2 this case is not designed at all for this
    i got the msi z270 gaming m7 plus 7700k for 150 euros as a bundle hence the rather *weak ish* cores. i might try to get a 8700k to work in the motherboard but idk if that wil work
    (i had a xeon x5675 before this with a motherboard that was very much dying)
    my plan is going to be to get a nude cnc v1 water block for delidded cpu's and using 2 or 3 radiators with a easy way to attach a chiller to the system (yeah i'm that kinda mad man)
    1 120mm for the rear and one 140 either in front where the normal fan is mounted or diy mount it in the actual cpu hump. (or both)
    so far i finally got some numbers using my nh-d15 and fully liquid metal application.
    got the chip to run stable at 5.3 ghz at **around** 1.45 volts 5.4 runs too but i'm running out of thermal headroom and everything in my gut says this chip can reach 5.5 ghz or even higher with enough cooling.
    can anyone confirm that these oc numbers i'm being able to reach are actually quite good bins or are these numbers most 7700k's can reach? (this is my first chip touching 5ghz)
    here's some pics of how the rig looks now.
    https://imgur.com/a/AiOJqKZ (edit:i put the wrong imgur link in >.<)

5. toyo

toyo Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    5.3GHz @1.45V is the top 1% for the 7700K. You're at the limits of what can be done without exotic cooling. I doubt the loop will help too much, but a chiller will.

7700K 5.30GHz 5.10GHz 1.450V Top 1%

Unless you're after specific benchmark goals for that specific CPU and platform, your money will pretty much always be better invested in just buying a new platform, instead of investing in exotic cooling. Although I fully understand the pleasure from tinkering with it and extracting as much performance as possible.

6. appletechgeek

appletechgeek New Member

GPU:
    gtx 1070
    yeah i think the biggest difference wil be the chiller in the custom loop with that special waterblock. but dont think i can go much further.
    wil also be a decent task for first time custom watercooling. and apart from the water block most the parts can be transfered to a new system afterwards
    i think my end goal for 24/7 use is going to be 5.2 or 5.3 with the custom loop since at 90c you dont have much headroom to make a silent fan profile anymore due to the lack of degrees.
    did notice 1 thing
    5 ghz needs minimally 1.310 volts to be stable and 5.1 needs about 1.4 volts to be stable so thats quite a jump for the chip. but at those volts it also goes much higher.
    maybe i need to thinker with different voltages too instead of letting it auto decide the other voltages.

7. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi there

Chiller for such loop is just waste of money, unless you have spare money there but its not worth it for such CPU etc

Special waterblock, I don't see any reason getting special waterblock, get best one which are Aquacomputer Kryos, Heatkiller IV Pro but most of waterblocks are within 2-3°C from each other

Get best radiators on market which are Hardware Labs/HWLabs or if you want external radiator then MO-ra3 360mm or 420mm which I own and run fans in 600-700RPM etc, my power draws from wall with 4*GPUs rendering can be up to 1300w and still I can run fans under 700-800RPM

If you want something special then phase cooling can be option there, if I would recommend that, no because of condescension same applies for water chiller

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura