Looking for a "cheap" UltraWide 3k monitor.

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by MonstroMart, Oct 21, 2020.

1. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700 XT GOC 8G
    Hi!

I currently own a 27 inch 2k monitor and since i now work home i would like to add a 2nd monitor to my home computer. I decided it's time to go UltraWide and make the move since Windows 10 is nice at handling multiple windows displayed on the same screen and i want to game in UltraWide anyway.

I want 34 inch to 36 inch and minimum 100Hz @ 3k resolution. VA or IPS panel. There's not many choices where i live and i would like to stay within the price range of 600$ CAD to 800$ CAD. My only options are pretty much this :

BenQ EX3501R 700$ free shipping
    GIGABYTE G34WQC 570$ + shipping
    AOC CU34G2X 650$ free shipping

The three monitors got good reviews that pretty much all agrees they are good options within their price range. But all three got their fair share of negative user reviews about ghosting and bleeding. I have to buy online and since it's hard to return a monitor i would like some opinions i can trust. User reviews online tend to be all over the place and people complaining for no reason. I got a MSI Optix MAG27CQ and i like it anything similar bu UltraWide would please me.

I trust the people around here so anybody own one of those monitors and can tell me if they like it or not?

2. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700XT Gaming OC
    I've got the AOC CU34G2X. It's not perfect. Mine does have some bleeding but doesn't really bother me since it's only really noticeable on completely black picture. Also the freesync range for mine is actually 53-144Hz not from 48Hz. At 52Hz the monitor doubles the Hz. But apart from that I like it. At first I felt the monitor was big coming from a 24" but now got used to it and actually want my next monitor to be larger. What I am sure of is no more 16:9 as primary monitor and only have one as a secondary.

It has the option to show the refresh rate in real time which might or might not be important for you. I think all these 144Hz VA UW monitors use the same Samsung VA panel.

3. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700 XT GOC 8G
    That's what i'm planing to do. Currently have a 16:9 144Hz 2k display and i planned to keep it as my main monitor for a while but now that i'm working from home i really need at minimum a secondary display. But i'm used to work on 3 displays at work. But buying two displays would cost a lot unless i would buy really cheap 1080p ones. It would actually be more expensive to buy 2 displays than a single cheap 21:9 display unless i aim for 1080p which i don't like for work i prefer the real estate offered by 2k. So i feel like a 21:9 3k display would be best as it's the same real estate as 150% of a 16:9 monitor and since i already own DisplayFusion i would be able to easily re-arrange windows on it. And for gaming it would be a plus when supported for sure. Still just undecided between the 3 monitors posted above lol thanks for your input

4. stanleykell651

stanleykell651 New Member

GPU:
    GT1080
    There are Lots Of Ultra wide Monitors are Available. Checkout the latest LG-34WK650-W Monitor. It has everything that you need to checkout before purchasing any ultrawide monitor. Also, If you need more suggestions then I found one guide over internet. You can checkout it.

5. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Have seen reviews of the G34 and all say its brill!

6. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    Hi Monstro,

so i have a LG 34UC79G Ultrawide and i´m very happy with it. Freesync, 144hz, IPS and so on. But it´s not perfect of course, the monitor becomes a little hot after a few hours of use and there´s the bleeding problem of course, in my case it happens in 3 corners of the screen, but it´s only really visible on one of them.

Fortunately, the bleeding is only noticeble when the screen is all black.

Also, you can check this thread, dedicated to UW monitors, if you want:https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/the-ultra-wide-club.416567/

Good luck with your purchase!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  7. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Eagle
    I got GIGABYTE G34WQC last weekend and returned it yesterday.
    It had so many issues I never had on any monitor before:
    - backlight bleed was pretty bad but it was one thing I would probably accept given its price, but...
    - it had bad flickering on desktop and in games with Freesync enabled(could be reduced with settings but never go away)
    - Brightness was jumping up and down when there was a change from bright to dark on part of the screen
    - when setting 8bit colors and 100Hz refresh rate screen was repeatedly turning off and reset every 5 seconds (went away by setting 10bit)
    - Netflix was showing horizontal bars with various brightness randomly or every time mouse move/click or keyboard was pressed

Got myself MSI Optix MAG341CQ for Black Friday $400 (mind this is in Europe 21% tax included) and with an additional $62 cashback from MSI.
    I am waiting for 38GN950-B to get in-stock, getting it at a really good price, after which MSI goes to wife.

Looking at newegg.ca, I would be choosing between MSI Optix MAG341CQ and BenQ EX3501R as AOC is the same screen as gigabyte and there are reports of flickering as well.
    MSI does not have HDR400 but have better colorspace, Benq on other hand have HDR and higher brightness, but costs more as well, so the choice here is about your preference.