Long time to load game for HL2?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Jerms, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Jerms

Jerms Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800GT
    I installed and have been playing for the last 2 days. Just wondering if it takes long for anybody else just to get the game started from menu? It takes a minute or so before I'm off and running. Is this normal? Never had to wait this long for any other game to start. Also, when I double click on HF2 shortcut, it authenticates with steam everytime. I was told that you didn't have to go through internet everytime you wanted to play single-player. Any thoughts?

Thank you

2. mr.pbody

mr.pbody Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 9600 pro 128mb
    the start up time is long for me as well and i have a decent rig.

i've started the game only twice so far (it took me all night last night to install the damn thing! :( ) and both times it went through steam but i wasn't connected to the internet and i don't have dsl/ethernet...i'm dial up.

i too am hoping to lose the steam thing...just something else running in the background if you ask me.

3. glock38

glock38 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 285 2GB
    Takes VERY long to load for me aswell. Im gonna try and install it on my new Hard Drive (8MB Cache)

4. krisha

krisha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GTS250 512 mb
    makes no difference with a 8 mb cashe - it takes forever here to : )

5. adair_fett

adair_fett Banned

GPU:
    Asus V9999 Ultra - GeForce 6800 Ultra
    Takes forever for me also.

6. Jerms

Jerms Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800GT
    Glad I'm not the only one then, I was thinking of re-installing it, but I guess that won't do anything either. I too, have an 8meg buffer 120 gig SATA hard-drive. Would think that would be speedy enough but I guess not.

7. adair_fett

adair_fett Banned

GPU:
    You got to remember it is loading a whole helluva lot of crap. Its not going to be instant, even with a SCSI drive. Im sure you will live. :)

8. Jerms

Jerms Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800GT
    Hey aider,
    I have the P4EE 3.2 too, wish I could overclock like you but I have a Dell. No way to do this in bios since there's not even a menu for it. Can't complain though, they put the EE in my machine when I originally ordered a Prescott 3.2. I'll take the 800 dollar upgrade for free!!!

9. adair_fett

adair_fett Banned

GPU:
    Nice. Sounds like you got one helluva deal there.

10. RaStAsMuRf

RaStAsMuRf Master Guru

GPU:
    512mb EVGA 8800GTS
    Well tbh it loads faster than some newer games like Far Cry did for me, and it also runs better....and i enjoy it more :p
    I need to get some more RAM but i'm fed up on spending money on computers lol.