Long Beep at Post

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by PETEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. PETEY

PETEY Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS
    All I have to say is : Crap, what did I do this time? My neighbor gave me a spare PC to keep or to sell and I decided to sell it on Craigslist. The person who was interested in buying it said that he would need to be able to run Oblivion.

Well, it turns out the only thing that the PC was lacking was RAM. Lucky enough, I have lots of old spare RAM. So I'm putting in extra RAM and I began to think "Damn, this isn't going in". Yet it clearly was being put in correctly. So I took out the RAM that is already in the motherboard and put it in the spare motherboard that the spare RAM came out of. It fit in perfectly. So obviously the RAM should fit.

This is where I made lame mistake. When I put the RAM back into the motherboard - I put it in upside down. I didn't even have to force it in too much, but it went in as if it didn't make a difference. Then I put in the extra RAM. The PC didn't post. So I fiddled with the RAM a bunch of different ways until I realized I had the RAM in upside down. I put the RAM back in rightside up and now all I get is infinite amounts of long beeps at post. Each beep lasting 2 or 3 seconds, and it'll keep beeping til I turn it off.

I wish I knew which mobo it was. I believe it was an MSI of some kind with an nForce 2 chip in it.

Any ideas?

2. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    Long beeps at post indicate a memory error. Either the RAM is toast or the slot is damaged. :(

3. PETEY

PETEY Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS
    Yup. RAM was toast :(

Thankfully it wasn't the motherboard. I put in excess of other RAM and I doubled the RAM it was at previously. Too bad I didn't charge extra for this :bang:.

4. PhonyEye

PhonyEye Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7970
    charge extra? you are responsible for misplacing the RAM no?

5. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
  6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^^^What they said...

I have installed ram in backwards before and fried the ram, but the dimm slot was OK luckily.

btw the model of your board should be printed on the board somewhere.

I have an nF2 MSI board in the garage I could have a look at and give you the model if it's any help...

It'll be DDR though...

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009