lol, Activision ponders sub fee for next CoD MW

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Stukov, May 31, 2011.

1. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    trolloLoLo

what a crap...

alrdy preordered BF3 tho. More ideas, get monthly $$ but p2p servers! :p

2. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090 G9 240Hz
    their nuts simple as

3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    GOOD! Hopefully this will cause COD to die. Or at least make Activision re-think their release strategy.

4. MrH

MrH Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armour
    100 M$ points for a box of ammo.

5. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    Bye BYe CoD Series...not that i liked u in the first place..
    Im stick with the Founders of Good Team FPS..
    DICE FTW..Battlefield has FREE DLC`s and Maps..
    And its Build for PC Gamers..

Activision and Co. can Suck my D...(wooohhh) :puke2:

They really need to learn to make good games, that have better replay value and all..instead of trying to milk every single aspect of the Game..

Get out of here.....

-BetA-

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  6. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Well to be fair, this type of thing happens in the business world all the time. You see your competitors doing something that works so you try to copy it. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

I have a question for all you WOW players though. I don't play and know nothing about that game. But from what I've read, its updated quite frequently (besides expansions). In these updates, are there any free content given? Or is it only performance tweaks?
    IF Craptivision were to go this route and then release 4-5 map packs a year for free it MIGHT be worth it. Otherwise they are going to see a massive drop in players online.

7. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Never been a fan of cod, and this just makes it even worse.

8. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    hahaha morons!!

Luckily I hate CoD :)

9. reno_skychaser

reno_skychaser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX R9 290 4GB
    Oh there's lots of content. Lich King, the previous expansion, saw 3 major content patches.

10. sk8zophrenia

sk8zophrenia Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX1060
    oh dear...
    RIP, CoD... please stay in that 6feet deep hole and dont come back
    i wanted to have both bf3 and mw3 at first, but now i changed my mind

11. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I was just reading more about this here. http://www.techspot.com/news/44016-activision-unveils-call-of-duty-elite-subscription-service.html

Halo has done all this stuff for free on their website. There are also tons of free apps that people have created that work on both IOS and Android that gives you the same information for free.

They are really shooting themselves in the foot here. A map pack for a COD game costs $15 and there are what, 2 map packs a year? That's only $30. Even if they only charge $5 a month, that's an extra $30 a year for them to tell me how good I am with a particular gun? Or give me the ability to pair up with someone in my skill ranking? My 360 already has something called a friends list and I usually only play games with people I know anyway.

What a waste of time. I can see a lot of people subscribing maybe the first two months until they realize they are getting nothing out of this service. Of course then they'll add more features and raise the price.

12. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    .......and people will still pay it.

i might just invest in some Craptivision shares lol

13. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    You'd think this would cause them to die out, but no, it will be a huge success. Here is the most intelligent thought the typical 6-20 year old audience of this game has in an entire year: "Herpity derp herf derp herp derp durrr!"

They will go nuts over it, they will love it and Activision will be printing money, reminiscent of the con artists known as Nintendo.

14. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
  15. chevy350`

chevy350` Member

GPU:
    5600XT Red Devil
    I think they should work more on the mod tools they said were coming before the First Strike map pack that is supposedly getting "closer" to released now again with the next new pack coming out June 2nd.

16. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    the service can't be justified on the xbox 360

17. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I guess it's debatable. I know that XBOX Live definitely has better community tools and functions than say PSN and Steam atm.

What would draw people to pay for the subscription is the fact that if you want to play with your friends on XBOX 360 and/or you want to play online on XBOX 360 exclusive games you have to pay the subscription (this part is basically forced on you).

However, people like me don't have a problem with that as long Microsoft upkeeps the service and we entrust that the service doesn't go down (unless it's planned maintenance).

deltatux

18. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    Although i despise this kind of money making tactics, we all know that this will be a huge success because of COD fanbase. They will eat all the **** that it´s send their way as long as it´s come sort of COD crap.

When PSN was down, 95% of users were complaining they couldn´t play COD...

But the worst part is that soon all the other game makers will follow this trend...

Money is killing the video game industry... Alongside everything else...

19. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    Once DICE sees how much extra money is made with the pay to play model, they will probably follow suit and so will other companies that feature expanded multiplayer games. No company would turn down that amount of money. BC2 has about 8.6 million players according to the stats website. COD has more, but if you use BC2 as an example, let's say only 3 million want enhanced service at a cost of $4 a month. That is a lot of money every year.

Video games have consumed people's lives. Take a look at the Bad Company 2 leaderboards....the top times on XBOX = 3,390 hours.....PS3 = 3,422 hours....PC = 2,772 hours. The developer wants a piece of that action. If people are going to spend 4 or 5 hours a day playing the game, they want more than the $60 that you paid for it. That is almost 5 months of straight usage since March 2010 when it came out. It is a huge amount of time....There is no other form of electronic entertainment that can provide that amount of usage time at a price of $50 or $60. (I paid $40 on amazon.com). It costs $10 to go watch a movie that only lasts about 1.5 - 2 hours.

A side note.....I am interested in the demographic here due to the 600 hours gap between the consoles and the PC. I would assume that the PC players tend to be a little older and don't have as much time (still a lot of hours though).

I personally, would pay a monthly fee to get enhanced BC2 content because I enjoy the game so much. However, I wouldn't want this to be an industry norm. I don't like it, but that seems to be the way things are going. I am not a big fan of pay to play but I do understand why they are doing it. The biggest concern is that 4 or 5 years down the road when other developers have followed suit....how much money is it going to cost per month to play our favorite 3 or 4 games? $20? $30? in extra service fees?

I think that for the most part, this idea will be rejected by most (as long as we still get a somewhat complete game without the extra content) and depending on how much it costs a developer to create the enhanced content and maintain that content...they might find that it is hard to recoup those costs with a small percentage of the community choosing to buy the extra stuff.

We have been used to getting the game and then being able to do whatever with it, mods, unlimited play time etc. We have seen the rise and fall of arcade games over the last 25 years and now it seems that the pay to play idea of the arcade is coming back in a different form.

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  20. Doug

Doug Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    That's how WoW works. When an expansion is released there's a few end game raids that everyone spends months learning and farming until everyone's geared and it's easy, so then blizzard need to release a harder set of raids for people to start on and the cycle begins again.