Logitech z906 alternatives?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ishamm, Aug 29, 2011.

1. ishamm

ishamm Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5870
    I am looking at getting a new pc speaker system, im currently using a very cheap (~£40) Logitech 2.1 system thats not terrible, but just VERY quiet. I having been looking at the z906, but have read some very mixed reviews about it, many saying it lacks any definition due to lack of tweeters; poor bass etc.
    I will be using the system for films, gaming and also for playing music (mostly rock/metal type stuff) loud enough to play guitar along to (loud as i have no neighbours XD)

can anyone suggest any similar systems but better in that price bracket? prefferably 5.1 for the films but i could live with 2.1 easily.
    It will currently be running of the motherboard onboard sound processor, but soon upgrading to Xonar dx or equivalent.

thanks for any input!

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Microlab FC-730, they're brilliant sounding in comparison. They're fully wooden boxes for the sub AND for the satellites, which I think helps.

http://www.microlab.com/?r=51systemen&st=full&id=361

I believe thats technically been replaced by:
    http://www.microlab.cn/product_detail.asp?id=223&bigclassid=15&smallclassid=63

Which is exactly the same except has an FM radio built in :)

I should point out they're by no means a replacement for the Z906, just a better sounding speaker set!

This is probably a closer comparison:
    http://www.microlab.com/?r=51systemen&st=full&id=369

The logitech does have the digital inputs etc, but it definitely doesn't sound as good - those features just adds to the price, and adds significantly to what Logitech can charge since if its those features you want, its about the only speaker system you can get!... In other words, you're paying quite a premium for it, some people end up buying a good (but cost effective) alternative stereo system.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  3. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX 3080
    Z-5500 are very good, if i ever want new speakers again i would get tho's again :)
    Yeah there old but very powerfull and amazing quality speakers.

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Problem I see with all the logitech speakers is they just don't have the timbre of some other speakers. If you spend that much on the speakers this is something which should be considered. The acoustics of the room do play a part, with the right acoustics the Logitech sound quite decent, but in the same conditions those that do sound good with poorer acoustics sound even better! I have nothing against Logitech, i'm a long time user of their mice and keyboards :)

5. ishamm

ishamm Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5870
    thanks. the microlab FC730FM look nice, but seem to have a very low rms Wattage compared with the Z906's. would they be as loud? i dont really understand wattage for speakers, i have a 30W guitar amp that is way louder than the current logitech settup i have now, also rated around 30W. am i comparing to completely different specifications?

6. ishamm

ishamm Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5870
    also where can i buy microlab products? any googling leads to russian sites, and nothing shows on amazon uk or google shopping tab. thanks again

7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    For a speakerset that was under $100, the FC730 was really surprising! After much research and listening I was already impressed with the sound quality, but the build quality is also exceptionally good. The speakers are full wood cabinets, have a very nice finish, are all shielded (as with all their speakers, including the h500/H600 etc), not to mention the fact it also comes with a wireless remote, a proper one, that also lets you adjust the read speaker loudness as well as the centre and subwoofer (as well as volume, balance etc). If you turn the unit off at the front it will reset the settings, so just use the remote and put it in standby :)

More powerful alternatives to the FC730 are:

The FC861:
    http://www.microlab.cn/product_detail.asp?id=245&bigclassid=15&smallclassid=63

The H500:
    http://www.microlab.cn/product_detail.asp?id=299&bigclassid=15&smallclassid=73

The H600 (identical to the H500, but with speaker stands)
    http://www.microlab.cn/product_detail.asp?id=299&bigclassid=15&smallclassid=73

I don't know where to get them where you are, in Australia you can get them relatively easy, at least for the FC730. For the FC861, and H500/H600 thats different...

The FC730 are probably a medium loudness speaker, I'm sure they're louder than your current ones. Sound quality wise they're the best computer speaker I've heard. It seems most speakers trade of sound quality with loudness.

If you want quality and loud, the H500/H600 would be ideal, I would have got that if they were available locally!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  8. ishamm

ishamm Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5870
    thanks for the suggestions. i'll keep searching but i cant find any uk based sellers for microlabs unfortunately. are there any other similar brands/setups to look out for? also if someone could explain to me the question about wattage from above i'f be very greatful. thanks

9. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Ishamm the best 5.1 speakers you can get for the pc are the Edifier S550's.
    You can get them here

http://www.o v e r clockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SP-001-ER

Remove the spaces between "over" the forums blocks the address for some reason.

I myself bought the edifier c6's and they are amazing sound quality.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  10. gold_heart007

gold_heart007 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX N560Ti TwinFrozr2
    ^^S550 is undoubtedly better sounding system than Z5500/Z906. Both treble and mids are excellent because of the twin drivers in satellites.
    Just don't compare with Z5500's hideous bass response!! :D

11. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=350684

12. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Well that is just it, Logitech are a mice and keyboard company. They jumped into the speaker market a few years back due to gaming. They really have no interest in making speakers to the public other then to gamers. So really, the mantaility is "loud and boom". They have no interest in minimizing distortion and true clarity. If you look at there product line it is all about gaming. While there is nothing wrong with this, it just says to me Logitech as a speaker company is not to be taken for true quiality...

13. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Just make sure you look at the design of the speakers, try and get wooden satellites with at least two way drivers. -That means Sats with both high and mid range drivers.
    If you don't get those, your speakers will either sound really tinny, have poor imaging or both. I will save you the explanation why...
    If you are bound and bent to get a PC type speaker system check out:
    SVEN
    MicroLab
    Edifier
    Genius

They make speaker with the above design parameters and although they are considered PC speakers they offer some of the best PC models available.
    If you have to money I would avoid PC speakers altogether and get something a bit more serious.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011