Logitech re-releases MX518 mouse with a new sensor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Logitech announces its MX518 mouse again. The gaming mouse was popular in the past and the company says it will therefore release a new version. The mouse retains its original shape but will receiv...

Logitech re-releases MX518 mouse with a new sensor

G*addict and KissSh0t like this.
  2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    It just needed a tilt wheel.

I still use a G500s myself and have a brand new one in the box.

3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Great mouse back in action.

4. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    They already did that years ago. The G400 and G400s are an MX518 with new sensor. But I guess this announcement results in more free advertising (by sites like... this one.)

This is the G400. You need a microscope to spot a difference:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019

5. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Hmm... A little too late for me. I already bought a Rival 300S not long ago to replace my ailing Rival 300. A pity, MX518 was a great piece of mousery.

6. dunadan101

dunadan101 Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I might just get one for old times' sake to replace my g303. I really mistreated mine in the early CSS days through high school and it never let me down.

7. GludDK

GludDK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SSC
    Release date TBA? I bought mine yesterday off the shelf at a local store here in Denmark. Online retailers have been saying "Release date 19.02.2019" since the weekend. So I guess it's already out? :)

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Nice to see it released world-wide officially, imported the Intelli one that Microsoft made earlier this month and it's been excellent, saw that Logitech MX518 too but it was also China only though I suppose with this little news bit it's finally going WW then, nice!

https://www.reddit.com/r/MouseReview/comments/9k81io/the_new_logitech_mx518_has_been_released_on/

https://www.reddit.com/r/MouseReview/comments/acxecu/intellimouse_pro_3389/

Should both be using that 3389 sensor. Apparently quite a good one but a mouse is more than just the laser or optical (laser) bit on the end there. :p
    (Comfort, weight, feel, size, PITA class cabling. Ha ha!)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  9. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    Great!!!
    I have two still functional -only the scroll wheels needed cleaning.

10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    tbh, I never understood why this mouse was the holy grail of mice. IMHO it doesn't do much different than other mice...
    Can somebody teach me what this thing is all about? Why I should pay the same money for this mouse than for any other one with the same hardware and more buttons?

11. SniperX

SniperX Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080S Trio
    14 years later and mine is still working with no issues. Great ergonomics. The quantity and placement of the buttons are perfect. I think the new updated MX518 will sell like hotcakes.

Solfaur likes this.
  12. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 VENTUS 10G
    The MX518 had thicker cable. Yeah on the promotional photos of G400, like you posted, it's thic, but not in reality. I needed a new one after a year and half, because the cable got damaged near the base. It was in warranty so no problem, and the new one is going strong after 5 years and 11 months :)

It's a no nonsense mouse that just works. And it fits to my big hands nicely. But i hear that same praise about G5 mouses, so yeah.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  13. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    My new mx518 arrived today :D

Have had 5x old. And love them!

14. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    This is blasphemy!:p - you should try one and then you will know - you will never need another mouse. All the others are just like water pistols compared to this.

Solfaur and fantaskarsef like this.
  15. Youkinen

Youkinen Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    We got one (or one predecessor model, the blue one) with our first real computer around 15 years ago. The Logitech logo has come off long ago, but it is still working! :D
    Although brother had to solder the cable back in at some point. I'm not sure how many clicks the buttons were rated at, but that mouse has seen some serious Diablo 1 & 2
    action, so probably the rated click count has come and gone too. :p

This mouse is the main reason I go all Logitech with my peripherals now days.

Solfaur and RzrTrek like this.

16. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    It's not like heavily shaped gaming mice with thumb buttons would have been quite as ubiquitous back then as they are now. I'd say MX518 was one of the first of its kind, at least of the widely available ones. I guess because it was from an old manufacturer like Logitech, random stores would have more easily taken it into their selections, thus paving the way to the mice of smaller manufacturers as well. Not to mention it really was a jolly good mouse.

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Upvoted for calling it a jolly good mouse.

18. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    That's the best mouse I've ever had the pleasure of holding in my hand and a big plus was the lack of childish RGB bloat. I will most definitely pick one up; even though my 8K Pro Gaming Laser mouse is working.

Solfaur likes this.
  19. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Man, you guys have no idea what kind of smile this news put on my face! :eek: ... :D

Finally Logitech woke up and re-re-re-released this fantastic mouse. For me, the shape/weight/buttons layout of the mx518 (and all its versions up to G500s) is perfection, at least for my hand size.

Great news, good timing too, since I have my G500s for over 5 years now of daily heavy usage and for the past half year was looking at a replacement, and was even thinking of going the ebay route to get my hands on another one...yay!

20. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    I will buy two so I will be covered for the rest of my life.
    This is really exciting news!