Logitech G500 or MX518?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Veteran, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Hi there

Im thinking of upgrading from my 1st edition G5 which i have had for 6 years now,i bought some new mouse feet for it and it works like new,but i feel like buying a new mouse.

I have looked at the G500 and Mx518,they are both roughly the same price,which one do you recommend?Has anybody used both of these?

Thanks

2. Omagana

Omagana Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
  3. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Go for the G500.

4. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I have both. They are both awesome but if you like the flexibility of adding weights then go with the G500. Personally I like the smooth feel of the MX518 a little better though.

5. Deathspank

Deathspank Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX570 1280mb
    imo the MX518 is the best, really great mouse.

6. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    I used MX518 for about 1 year, until a few days ago I switched to G500. Here's my comparison of the two mice. I play mainly Quake Live, a fast-paced FPS where accuracy, response time and fast yet comfortable mouse movement are key. The comparison is best viewed in the context of this game.

Let's start with shape and grip. While on the outside they look very similar, they actually lend themselves to quite different grips because of differences in the surface texture. MX518 has a surface that can easily be gripped on, whereas the G500 surface is slippery in comparison. I have relatively large hands, so I don't use palm grip with either mouse. The MX518 I held with the base of my hand gripping the back end of the mouse (as it easily sticks to the skin when slight pressure is applied), and with the "distal phalanx" part of each finger laid on the mouse.

However, since the G500 surface is slippery, I can't grip the back end with the base of my hand. Instead, I only grip it with four fingertips (ring finger grips the right side, with the pinky below it not really applying any pressure). This works very well with G500, for three reasons: 1) the areas around the front of the mouse are vertical allowing for a tight grip for easily lifting the front of the mouse, 2) the sensor is close to the front, as opposed to central in MX518, and 3) the mouse is heavier than MX518 so it would be less comfortable to lift the whole mouse, and especially the rear of the mouse becomes disproportionately heavy if you use any of the optional weights. Moving the sensor with four fingers right around it feels accurate and responsive; however there is the downside of the rear part possibly affecting your aim as you're not gripping it tightly.

There is a slight difference in the shape of the thumb area between the mice. If I hold my thumb tight to the mouse, G500 is more comfortable than MX518. However, this isn't the most comfortable grip for lifting the mouse, as explained above.

I've seen my mouse tracking with hitscan weapons such as lightning gun or machinegun improve slightly, especially when tracking an enemy moving diagonally on the screen, i.e. in mid-air. I believe this is largely due to lack of angle snapping / prediction in the G500 (though it can be set on in the driver settings). Angle snapping was actually the main reason I moved away from MX518; in almost every other respect, MX518 is wonderful. I want my mouse tracking on the screen to accurately reflect the tracking of my mouse sensor and hence the movement of my hand.

Also very importantly, you can choose from a variety of USB polling rates (which affect the response time of your mouse). I have mine set to the maximum of 1000hz polling rate, giving me a 1ms response time. 200hz / 5ms is the MX518 default. If you want faster response time for the MX518, you have to use special tools for manipulating the drivers and it's not guaranteed to work.

The G500 supports up to 5700 DPI, but this is just a selling point and nothing that makes any difference whatsoever. You don't want to use that high DPI. 400 or 800 DPI is good for almost any resolution and in-game sensitivity. However, you can set up to 5 (I think) application profiles, where the DPI settings of your mouse change automatically when you start a specific application/game. This is nice to have as an option, but not necessarily all that useful.

Other notable features of the G500: a scroll wheel that you can set in free or gradual mode with a switch behind the middle button. Also, you have three thumb buttons of which the middle one actually interferes with the thumb grip if you grip the mouse with your whole palm, however this is not a problem if you use fingertip grip like me. And you can program macros into the mouse buttons.

All in all, so far I'm liking G500 a lot thanks to its higher polling rate, lack of angle snapping, 2-mode scroll wheel, and front placed laser sensor. It's a minor minus point that the surface is slippery, as it forces me to change the grip coming from MX518, but I'll get used to it and in the end I might even prefer it over my old grip.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  7. jonathen85

jonathen85 Active Member

GPU:
    Inno3d nvidia GTX 275
    I like both but would recommend the g500. I found that the shape is more comfortable in my hand than the mx518.

8. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    @lehtv

Since when does the G500 have a slippery surface? Mine has a sandpaper like feel to it. My MX518, just like the MX510 before it, has a very slippery surface which becomes even harder to grip when you sweat.

9. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    The top surface is slippery, and the sandpaper surface on the sides is also slippery in the sense that it does not stick to your skin, it just provides some friction but doesn't prevent sliding. My MX518, however, does not slide at all if I apply just a little pressure.

10. sikvdila

sikvdila Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X OC
    G500 But G5 is also great mouse i like it

11. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O
    MX518. Been using one for 5 years.

12. David

David Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I own a G500, G5 and MX518 mouse. The G500 mouse is my favorite but it does have one weakness: I found it is more susceptible to dust and hair (in my case, cat hair), which means frequent cleaning.

13. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Looks like ill be going for the G500 then,thankyou all for the help especially Lehtv for that indepth and time consuming explantion:)

14. Tyler Dalton

Tyler Dalton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Yea, if you have a G5, no use downgrading to a MX518, getting the G500 is the right choice. I've had all 3 and I love my G500.

15. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC