lock up/ BSOD

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by rjd2, Nov 22, 2010.

1. rjd2

rjd2 New Member

GPU:
    geforce 9800 GX2
    I'm having issues where my system locks up and/or gives me a BSOD with an error in the file nvdkllm.sys. I built a PC several years ago and always had problems with the system freezing from time to time. Recently the system would fail to boot windows unless I started in safemode and deleted or disabled vid card drivers. I tried another video card and seemed to have the same issue. I tried taking out the sticks of ram and trying each one individually to see if that was the problem. I still had the errors. I concluded that there may be a problem with my motherboard so I purchased a new mobo and CPU to go with it. I built the new pc and am now having the same issues. Is there something I should be doing to get my system into a stable setting? Any help would be appreciated. The lockups occur at random but are much more frequent when playing games or streaming/watching video.

2. SubtleOne

SubtleOne Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1060 Amp!
    I had numerous BSODs when installing a new nVidia card, and discovered that they stemmed from the nVidia driver set that installed an HD Audio driver (I had failed to pay attention at first) that was driving my system to oblivion. I then uninstalled and reinstalled without it and the problems persisted, even using the so-called "clean install" by the nVidia drivers.

I then downloaded the Guru3D Clean Sweeper, uninstalled the display drivers, entered safe mode, ran Clean Sweeper and removed all trace of the nVidia drivers, rebooted, installed the drivers fresh but with no options enabled other than the pure display drivers and the control panel, and the constant BSODs ceased. You may still get a crash, but this should go a long way if it is the same problem.

Another option which may help, is to go to my-config.com, download their plugin and let it test for up-to-date drivers. It will show driver issues and link you directly to the latest ones if you don't have them. There is no ad-ware, toolbars, or the like with this, just so you know.

3. rjd2

rjd2 New Member

GPU:
    geforce 9800 GX2
    I'll give that a try when I get back to my PC later tonight. Also, I used the windows resource monitor and noticed that my ram had a few hardfaults/s every once in a while. Should I be concerned?