Little help with afterburner faulting/closing all of a sudden?

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by klepp0906, Mar 26, 2019.

1. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    So a few things changed.

I added a new gpu (went from 1080ti to 2080ti). Added a new ssd, (upgraded 960 evo m2 to larger 970 evo plus m2) and imaged my old hdd to the new and increased partition size.

The aforementioned may be completely coincidental but nonetheless, afterburner is now (what appears to be randomly) shutting down on its own with the following in my event log.

Faulting application name: MSIAfterburner.exe, version: 4.6.0.14820, time stamp: 0x5c7e82b1
    Faulting module name: SaveMedia.dll, version: 1.38.0.0, time stamp: 0x5c7e8110
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0000a5b0
    Faulting process id: 0x2fa0
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d4e3591acbd405
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\MSIAfterburner.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\RivaTuner Statistics Server\SaveMedia.dll
    Report Id: c1cde562-792d-4d31-a8a4-58e9f4dc3872
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

anyone got anything for me? What is savemedia.dll?

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

SaveMedia.dll is screenshot/video writer. Fault address is inside PNG screenshot encoder.

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Install RTSS 7.2.2, see if that rectifies the situation, could be another bit of fallout from the revoked signature on 7.2.1

4. Unwinder

Doubt that 7.2.2 will help with that.

5. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    Yea it did not. That was done w/ 7.2.1 after an uninstall/reinstall of afterburner in an attempt to rectify the issue. I was using 7.2.2 prior, and have since re-upgraded to. I javent had issues with it in literally years, and now it randomly shuts down.

Definitely not taking any screenshots at the time. Does it do something at random? Or would something trigger it to do something outside of capturing something? I did image disks to a new disk and that disk has the capture save location.

Changing directory of the save and then changing it back potentially helpful or unrelated?

For now ive disabled the encoder server and it hasnt happened - but as i mentioned, its pretty random so i could just be lucky at current.

So frustrating!

Thank you very much for your time :)

6. Unwinder

I have no ideas what's gone wrong when the disks were cloned, sorry.

7. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    take a guess? If anybody knows the inner workings of that dll its you right? :p

Ive backed up and restored images dozens of times over the years, this is ithe first time to a larger disk however, its always been to the same disk.

Something to do with the diskid perhaps?

Any idea what that dll would be doing or does do in the background and at what type of interval so i can try to pin down what is the actual impetus to the crash? I know the what, trying to figure out the when then why now :p

Problems like this are the worst >.<

As i mentioned, been backing up the same windows install for a LONG time now. The idea of a format (especially over something like this) is crippling to my psyche :p

Wondering if having precisionx installed even though its not running and I havent done anythign with it other than change my cards RGB color, would be related. I dont even think it HAS any capture type stuff built in.

Either way - thanks for your time :) Will let ya know if i should figure it out any further on my own. Or maybe a new windows version in april, or a new update past 4.6/7.2.2 will fix it :)

8. Unwinder

There will be no guesses. I have no mind reading skills and do not know the internals of your system to tell what got corrupted in the OS, sorry. And the fact that it is my dll doesn't automatically turn me 24/7 support service for troubleshooting, sorry.
    The only thing I can tell you is that the crash is located inside PNG compression and that and it invoked only when you press screen capture associated hotkey. I'm sorry but I cannot help you further and play "let's guess it" game. Do a clean install, disk cloning is one of the easiest ways way to get things broken.

9. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    you said, no guesses - then you gave me some extremely helpful info :p

I doubt anything is corrupted persay. The image is verified. windows and all my other softwares present 0 issues. i can pass prime etc. sfc and dism report nada.

its something wonky going on, image restoration could be purely coincidental but hell if i know hence why i asked.

i just came back to say turning off the encoder service did nada, so ill move onto the png compression and hotkey. Even though alt+Ctrl+s is pretty difficult to press by accident so unless its pulling double hotkey duty mixup.

Will post back if i make progress. Thanks for what youve provided.

EDIT tried a manual capture and ss with hotkey - no problem, no crash. something happening on its own.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  10. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    whelp (preliminarily) as its only been all evening - but it seems the problem was evga precision x1. Even though i never used it to change anything other than the rgb on the waterblock (and only kept it installed in case i wanted to change my scheme again) it somehow conflicted something awful with afterburner/rtss.

Shame as it means every time i want to change colors i have to reinstall/uninstall potentially. Still, glad i know what it was now and can move on with things-a-workin again.

11. Unwinder

Close to zero chances that the reason is X1.