Linux... really worth it?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by HoT-DoG, Jan 23, 2006.

1. HoT-DoG

HoT-DoG Member

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 6600GT
    Hi

I'm a bit curious about linux.. i've always been a windows user, and i never tried linux because of the "fear" of not playing games.. but now that i use the computer mostly to work i was interested in a more stable system.

Is linux a safe/easy choice?

If so, what "version" of linux (sorry about the noobis question)

"Don't even think about it"

2. Morpheous416

Morpheous416 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GT 750 Ti
    Define safe?

Linux is a great OS. There are plenty here that use it. Try one, I think you'll like it. Ubuntu is great for starters as is....... (help me out here people!)

3. Recrofne

Recrofne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    You have just as much reason to ask if Windows is really worth it, for a general comparison.

A Linux based OS is more than capable of doing just about anything you can imagine. Linux/Unix Operating Systems will naturally be more secure and stable due to the very structure of the OS itself.

Because everything isn't all unnecessarily tied together like with Windows, you don't have so many annoying problems. This means you can uninstall, reinstall, delete, compile and do whatever without having to reboot. Unless you're changing something in the the Kernel, of course. Also, if one program crashes nothing else will go down with it. Just restart the crashed program (or whatever it was) and you're good to go.

You also don't have to worry about viruses very much because they won't spread. That's not to say that a Linux system is immune, it's just harder to take down. An unpatched Linux system can last for months before being compromised. Even so, you still should take the time to secure it properly.

Another good point is that you can customize anything and everything about your Operating System. Plus multiple virutal desktops are nice. I know you can have virutal desktops in Windows too, but it's poorly done at best.

As far as applications go, youll find many wonderful open source programs. There's certainly no shortage of good quality software. Certain programs will even run faster on Linux.

Now on gaming; this, aside from the learning curve, is the weak point. While there are many native Linux games and you can run a significant amount of Windows games with Wine/Cedega, you're still better off with Windows XP if you mainly want to use your PC for gaming. The game developers are at fault for not showing support.

All in all, if you want a stable, secure, fast and reliable operating system that has incredible potential for productivity, give Linux a shot. You must be willing to learn something new though, don't give up or bash it because it's not what you're used to. Please read through this article if you're serious about making the switch to Linux.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2006
  4. HoT-DoG

HoT-DoG Member

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 6600GT
    Thanks Morpheous and Recrofne

I dont really mind customization, i just need it NOT TO CRASH making me lose all my work. Another point is the microsoft office.. does it work under linux? i only tried one alternative to it.. openoffice.. and well.. i think it sucks, maybe because i spent all these years using the microsoft formulas.

The only game i play once in a while is lineage, but i dont mind booting to windows to play it. i just need a OS with less probability of errors.

Again, thanks for your answers

5. Advis

Advis Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 6600GT 128mb
    MS Office on Linux will never happen.

If your new, try some LiveCDs likePCLinuxOS & Knoppix. As a Linux newbie it gave me a good opportunity to learn the differences between distributions and allowed me to evaluate what Linux is worth to me.