Linux gaming?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by gotkookie, Sep 3, 2005.

1. gotkookie

gotkookie Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY Geforce 6800GT @ 360/1100
    How is linux for gaming, my teacher said linux uses less resources than windows xp, and its much more secure. Should I go for linux, I would try it myself, but reformatting is a lot of trouble, a lot of stuff to reinstall. I know that for windows xp games that dont work on linux you can use emulators such as cedega, but is it worth all the trouble?

2. Firefox_1

Firefox_1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB
    Not very good for gaming, hardly any games are made for linux, the only major ones I know of are UT2004 and Doom 3. For now, XP is basically the only choice for a gaming machine, or dual boot XP-Linux. I have also heard that there is a DirectX emulator out there that will make some more games work like HL2, but it's just not worth it.

3. darknight909

darknight909 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 2080
    Wine

WINdows Emulator

can use that to play any windows games on linux

4. Paulus

Paulus Master Guru

GPU:
    7900GTX
    yeah, it's not great :( :(
    cedega is the best program for running games on linux

native linux games like ut2004 run better on linux than winblows, thats about it unfortunatly, but if you switch life becomes just that bit better.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2005

5. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    we tried UT2004 on blue summer's ubunto linux and it could read the linux installer on the UT2004 disk LEGAL copy.

6. deathvirus

deathvirus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 MaxQ 8GB
    Linux is not that good for gaming ..... yet ..... so if gaming is of more concern then stick to WinXP .....

7. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    So there is no decent stable Linux gaming platform yet?

I am considering trying out linux, and have no experience with it. But I like my gaming and benchmarking, so maybe I should stick to Windows?

8. Recrofne

Recrofne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    It's because people don't make games for Linux, but a good majority of them can be run with Wine or Cedega. The games that are made to run on Linux out of the box work great though. You can't blame the operating system for lack of the developer's support.

9. OvR|<|LL

OvR|<|LL Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Man if they had one proggie that would port all games over to linux Id be on it in a sec. A buddy of mine is one of the developers for Gentoo, and I love the os. How ever 35 hours to compile it to your liking doesn't appeal to me at all:(

10. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Stage 3 doesn't take long on Gentoo, but it's still a pain, more manual.

But a fun OS.

Linux really are too far behind, and they won't make any inroads into the Desktop market until they can pull it together and become like OS X.