Linux And All The Choices - Information To Help

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by DasFox, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Or make your own OS, choice is yours. There are no limits.

2. Alexandre

Alexandre Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 650
    The sound of FreeBSD in bitperfect mode with real-time sound settings is actually higher quality than what comes out of a Creative Zx sound card when using windows11.

If FreeBSD is too advanced (for your skills) then there is GhostBSD which is very user-friendly:

[​IMG]

3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I abandoned sound cards about a decade ago. Only pass through external devices (AV receivers) will do for me. With full bandwidth HDMI audio 5.1ch works great on both Windows and just about any version of Linux.

4. Arinoki

Arinoki Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 650 1GB
    How sound quality compared to using ASIO on Windows?

5. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Does ASIO do anything quality-wise, apart from lower latency?
    Pipewire is very mighty and flexible, so I wouldn't expect any general degradation.

6. Alexandre

Alexandre Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 650
    I agree. It is mainly the audio quality via analog connections (the green 3.5 mm jack) that is not as good in Linux and windows11 (wasapi)

When I play audio in Linux via HDMI --> SPDIF (instead of analog) it sounds much better. Don't ask me why this is, but I have never managed to get decent audio quality over the analog connection in Linux. I have already used mpv + Jack (instead of PulseAudio) and I have also tested PipeWire. But those don't change much in terms of audio quality in Linux for analog connections.

I haven't tested ASIO yet.
    When I say that windows11 does not have an equivalent sound quality to FreeBSD I am speaking specifically about wasapi in combination with an analog connection.

7. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Not noticing any difference between Windows and Linux, can only think of some weird driver or resampling issue.

8. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HoF PTX 7095 Ultra
    I've just installed Mint on my laptop (on raw hardware, full disk, no virtual machines or tests), and tbh I'm very impressed by Steam/Proton. All the usual games that I play work fine, despite several of them not having a native executable. Performance is 90-95% of what I would get on Windows, the translation layer is very thin.

All the devices on the laptop work, got wifi, bluetooth, touchpad, even the special Fn keys work. I didn't have to install anything !
    Nvidia proprietary driver installed, and works just as well as on Windows. And yes, it's an Optimus laptop, with Intel iGPU pass-through. I never thought this stuff would work on Linux, but it does, flawlessly.

After just one day, I'm beginning to consider installing it on my main computer as well... but there's a catch: I need Adobe software for work, and that is not available on Linux. So... the quest to find a good enough video editing software that works on Linux begins, once that is resolved there's nothing holding me back.

Windows 11 is starting to be a real pain in the arse with all the bs that they are shoving down our throats and less and less control over the machine. After 30 years of using Windows, I've just about had it.

---
    Also, the "learning new stuff" experience will be nice!

9. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Didn't you missed all the driver installing,time consuming updates, while fighting ads filling up your screen? /jk

There is more to Linux that meets the eye. it's about owning your data, doing your computing, as you see fit.It's about your personal journey, learning new ways of doing stuff and have fun.
    About video editors, KDELive and DaVinci Resolve and Shotcut are working and I installed and used a bit. Don't rush it, don't hurry up to make the switch, there is no pressure. You do you, take your time to be more aquinted with the new os and its ways.

wavetrex and Whiplashwang like this.
  10. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    I too have been trying out Linux the last few months. Been using Arch and the major problem I had was support and configuration of my Sound Blaster Z card. After trial and error, reading the arch wiki, creating some custom config files for wireplumber, I finally got it set up and working properly. The other problem was Nvidia support on Wayland, which has been poor when gaming, but with the new R555 beta driver, most of those problems have been addressed.

The only thing I'm really waiting on is proper HDR and some remaining Nvidia features like frame-gen support. Although, recently in Cyberpunk 2077 I was able to get the FSR3 frame-gen mod, Nvidia Reflex and HDR to work all at once with a custom proton layer and launch commands. After all the crap with Windows 11 and now the AI Copilot nonsense, looks like I can finally jump ship sooner rather than later.

Last edited: May 28, 2024
    anticupidon and wavetrex like this.

11. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Apart from the "usual" quirks regarding Nvidia's drivers, installing Linux on hardware directly goes as smoothly as any other OS.
    And almost all games work with Proton/Steam.
    I gave up long time ago on Microsoft as in using its OS at a personal level. For my personal computing needs, criteria regarding ownership of data and some other, Linux is more than enough.
    And yes, playing casual games on Proton gives me the same experience as in Windows.
    Happy computing!

SaberJ2X likes this.
  12. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Been running CachyOS now for around 3 months.

Easily the best, and fastest distro around for gaming. Nothing even comes close, and everything is basically setup out the box ready to go.

It even has optimised kernals for different cpu architectures.

Currently running kernal 6.9 using the bore scheduler.

The new Nvidia driver has made wayland soooo much better and Cachy comes with it preinstalled and setup ready to go.

Using mainly Proton-GE for gaming and its been awesome so far.

Screenshot_20240613_024515.png

13. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    There is always a reward for spending time trying, learning new things.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  14. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Give XanMod kernal a go.

Very easy to install and setup and brings a lot of performance optimisations.

It's literally 3 terminal commands and you are done.

https://xanmod.org/

Just make sure to change the last command with the correct kernel for your system, it's all listed on that site.

15. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HoF PTX 7095 Ultra
    Thanks but I still have a lot to learn before I start tinkering with that kind of stuff.
    Will save the link tho, may become useful in the future.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.

16. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    No worries I understand, I too am still learning a lot of stuff with Linux.

I ran Mint a while back for a time period and honestly one of the easiest things I ever did was install the XanMod kernal with those 3 commands.

And installing the latest nvidia driver and all the dependencies is simply this command

link to instructions here: https://github.com/lutris/docs/blob/master/InstallingDrivers.md

where you change the 535 driver number to 555 in the command or whatever is the latest avaliable. you can see what drivers have been compiled for Mint/Ubuntu/PopOS! etc here

https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+packages

they are all Debian based so they are basically the same under the hood.

I see you are running AMD so when it comes to gpu drivers you are good to go out the box :)

17. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Many tweaks are just placebo or close to it, usually games run good enough or even optimally in regular Proton with regular Arch/Manjaro etc. kernel.

More important is to not use intel pstate powersave or other garbage CPU clock governors and RDNA2 cards likely also still need a tweak to maintain clocks more aggressively. There was also a thread about the radv_zero_vram=true performance issue, though this should be (mostly) solved with kernel version 6.10.

18. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Interesting

A true and direct opinion on switching to Linux.

19. Aniboom

Aniboom Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6950 XT
    Wanted to say a big thank you, as this is one of the threads that motivated me to switch sides.

I moved from Win 11 to Fedora KDE spin at the end of May, and it's been a surprisingly pleasant experience out of the box.

I just use the rig as a gaming machine and I play no online games besides Dota 2, making the transition quite favorable. KDE feels polished and familiar enough to not make the daily drive cumbersome; using the Discover store to get some of my essential apps is laughably convenient and using Flathub to get the rest of 'em is straightforward once you get the gist of it.

Steam and its Proton layers are incredible and allow me to play just about anything from the library as-is, along with ProtonDB for those rare quirks. For non-Steam titles I just use Lutris and it proved itself capable to set up just about anything I throw at it. For those rare occasions in where the game either doesn't launch, stutters or acts up, I use ProtonUp-Qt to manage ProtonGE versions as well (thank you again ProtonDB).

So far I've played with relative similar performance as Win11 titles such as Alan Wake 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Diablo 2 Resurrected, Dota 2, Forza Horizon 5 and Snowrunner.

What feels weird but in a really great way is that once I got past the initial few days of figuring how things work, all's handled by the system itself and I no longer have to manually check that apps are up to date. Hell, I don't even have to run the terminal command to check for updates as the Discover app does it for me in a GUI.

Did I have a few headaches? Yes, I was trying to figure out a GUI to control my GPU and discovered LACT; happy ever setting it up and does the job without issues. I also had to read up and understand what Proton is, how it works, its alternatives and how to apply it. All nice and dandy since figuring that out.

Somehow i've reached a new point where when I fire up the rig and I still have that empty, lingering feeling that i'm supposed to do something before playing my games. But no, just fire it up and go.

I've been juggling with the idea of fully moving from Windows for the past couple of years, even dual booted on a few occasions (for about a week each and tried Elementary, Pop_OS and Ubuntu) but didn't have the patience to figure out the why's when stuff didn't work and being open-minded enough to understand that this is not Windows so some things may not work in a Windows-like fashion.

All in all, I am impressed with the experience and I am glad I am trying out an alternative. I honestly did not expect it would be this refined. Don't think that I will be moving back to Windows anytime soon. Sorry for using up so much pixel real estate with this post but it's been a long time since I got this excited.