1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux And All The Choices - Information To Help

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by DasFox, Jan 6, 2007.

1. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC H20
    you might find linux mint more suitable for a beginner, which also has an xfce edition.

386SX likes this.
  2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    I agree, Linux Mint just works. But people are people, everyone tries and has different experiences with different distros. A guy I know, first time ever in Linux world and he went straight to install Manjaro when he could easily choose Mint or whatever. And he didn't ask for help, he just googled all of it by himself.
    He insisted on having the latest kernel and all, and last time we spoke he was more than happy with Majaro and the fact he could play Diablo III with Wine and Nvidia drivers in Linux.

3. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    I chose Manjaro because a user here told me about because i´ve no idea about what´s the better distro for me, of course. For now i´m just experimenting and trying so no worries with any possible complications. Like i said before the hardest part is getting used to a Linux environment because i "grew" up with Windows. This i way i still struggle with some minor stuff...

Anyway some good news regarding gaming on Linux:https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...re-windows-games-to-linux/?comments=1&start=0
    It´s not a world changer but a step in the right direction. By the way, i´m really disappointed with the fact that Vulkan doesn´t support Linux automatically....

4. ManofGod

ManofGod Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    The fact is, as nice as it is with Gnome DE, it does not just work. The built in VPN software works when connecting to a Windows RDP Host but, when disconnected, internet access is killed until a reboot of the computer or network adapter is done. Manjaro, on the other hand, does not have that issue, at least out of the box.

5. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    I miss a lot of useful commands to start with. Eioother you already have Linux expereince, then you don't need this guide at all, or you do NOT have any experience, then (I guess) you would like to get more detailled info.

For beginning to dive into the whole Linux ecosystem, I found it very useful to use some Ubuntu based distro first. Don't ask me why, but somehow the syntax of the tools in there is easier for me to learn than for example RedHat. Btw.: Linux MInt is based on Ubuntu.
    Because I had (and still have) problems with the syntax of every command, I installed Ubuntu in a VM (Virtualbox), then installed SSH (sudo apt install openssh) and logged in from PUTTY on my Win machine. a big PRO there: Copy&Paste into the PUTTY shell (mark and copy in Windows, press the right mouse-button in the PUTTY window to insert).

Commands I find useful:
    - sudo apt update
    (Updates the Update cache, does NOT do an update!)
    - sudo apt full-upgrade
    (run after the update command; installs ALL updates available for installed software!)
    - sudo apt install openssh
    (sometimes "sshd" instead of openssh; otherwise "sudo apt search ssh" gives you a list to choose the right package from; installs SSH server)
    - ip addr show
    (gives you the IP of your Ubuntu machine; useful for SSH or network tasks)
    - sudo visudo
    (opens the "sudoers" file, where users / groups get listed which are allowed to run "sudo -i", an interactive root shell, like directly logging in as root)
    - sudo passwd <username>
    (change / set passwords for users, run "passwd" without anything to change YOUR password)

Tricks / hints to remember the Unix file structure / file system:
    /bin(64) - all binaries which are NOT part of the Linux system itself, but typically needed.
    /sbin(64) - all (s)ystem binaries which are part of Linux itself, like "echo", so only the most most basic programs without much bling-bling.
    /usr - Unix Secondary Ressources (often mistaken for USeR-files, that's not true)
    /home - all personal folders, separated by username.
    /root - HOME folder of root!
    /var - VARiable content! Here goes almost everytzhing what changes often, like server logfiles and the like. Does it change more than two times per boot? Good chances to find it in /var somewhere.

And one thing I learned to love quickly:

TAB key!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With TAB you get something called "bash auto-completion" (BAC for writing reasons). For example you want to specify a very long path like:

/home/386SX/files/downloads/somethingidownloadedsometime/somethingidownloadedsomeverylongtimeago/someprettyfuuuuuu_upfiles_name.with.-a.lot.-of-.special.chars.txt

... in your command, you could either put it in every time OR write:

/h<TAB>3<TAB>fi<TAB>do<TAB>so<TAB>so<TAB>so<TAB>

... given there is no second folder or file with almost the same name. As long as the "results" of finding a file / folder is only 1, BAC will auto-complete the path.

Don't remember if the command was called VISUDO or VISUDOERS? No prob: Enter "visu<TAB>". Press <TAB> twice to get a list of possible entries matching what you started to type.

Just my ... 2 bits :D

6. Clanger

Clanger Master Guru

GPU:
    igpu
    Debian 10 with Mate desktop is good enough for basic internet work :)

7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    ^ basic internet work
    Just watching the surface, not even scratching it.
    Debian, just works. Solid and stable.
    We put Debian Buster as a base for our POS, in which WMVare powers a virtulized XP machine containing the actual software.
    That XP computer died 5years ago, had the chance to virtualize it's hard disk, and make it live again in a Linux box.
    Was my job interview, if you will, for this small computer shop.