Linksys Ships MU-MIMO Enabled Wireless Router

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 7, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    So that would be Multi-User, Multiple-Input, Multiple Output :) Linksys announced the availability of the first MU-MIMO enabled Wireless AC router - the Linksys Max-Stream AC2600 MU-MIMO Gigabit Rou...

Linksys Ships MU-MIMO Enabled Wireless Router

2. Tuoni

Tuoni Member Guru

GPU:
    Denise
    Useless product without MU-MIMO clients. Try to find MU-MIMO enabled clients.. yep there are none.

3. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    ^ Not only that, $280? For a router?

Starting to get very exorbitant as far as costs are concerned. Maybe revolutionary as far as Linksys is concerned, but they are asking a lot for this new router. Too much.

4. Ch0plol

Ch0plol Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 770 4GB
    Yeah, but the average person who has no idea about what the usual cost for a router is / what MU-MIMO is will just read the box and see "3x faster" and possibly buy it.

5. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Isn't point of MU-MIMO to be able to transfer data between multiple clients at the same time?

edit: Or you mean not everyone has supported 802.11ac client? (iPhone6+ etc...)

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  6. Tuoni

Tuoni Member Guru

GPU:
    Denise
    MU-MIMO is a great technology and i think it has great potential but it has one huge drawback; MU-MIMO technology ONLY works with MU-MIMO router AND MU-MIMO capable clients.
    It doesn't mean that a client is MU-MIMO capable when is a 802.11ac class client, 802.11ac and MU-MIMO are two very different things. iPhone 6/6+, Galaxy 6, name all the latest phones/tablets/laptops/desktops/TV.. none of them is MU-MIMO capable at the moment.

A good read: MU-MIMO vs. XStream: The Coming Battle For Wi-Fi Airtime

MU-MIMO support is something that needs to be in the hardware you can't just update the software/firmware of your client and poof it's now MU-MIMO capable.

Personally i prefer Xstream, so i have a Xstream router. Xstream technology itself is maybe not as sophisticated as MU-MIMO but is has a huge advantage over MU-MIMO; Xstream works with every single wireless client you have in your house right now. The only hardware dependency of Xstream is the router itself. Xtream technology is new and so the execution of it is kinda rough/inefficient on most routers right now. But Xstream doesn't have any hardware dependencies outside the router so Xstream can and will be polished more by firmware updates of the routers.

Marketing is misleading no matter if it's about MU-MIMO or Xstream. Both use numbers that are only theoretically possible.. well it looks nice on the box of course.

7. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    thank you for explanation.

8. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    The latest tech is always going to cost a premium. But this notion that just because there aren't Mu-MIMO clients available doesn't mean it's pointless though. I once thought that it was pointless for me to upgrade my n900 router to a newer AC1900 because everything I own that uses Wifi is still wireless-N. Well it turns out that due to these newer AC1900 routers having more advanced processing capability, better radios, and improved software\firmware... older wireless-N devices on average see a dramatic increase in send/receive throughput. Range didn't improve much, but at just about every tested location throughput increased a lot.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...oes-an-ac-router-improve-n-device-performance

9. Tuoni

Tuoni Member Guru

GPU:
    Denise
    You will get the same performance improvements out of a cheaper AC1900 class router then a much more expensive AC2*00 class MU-MIMO router. AC1900 routers and MU-MIMO routers are really not all that different except for the MU-MIMO technology that doesn't "work" yet.

Get an AC1900 class router or Xstream class router if you want/need a router now. MU-MIMO simply isn't worth it until you have at least 3+ MU-MIMO capable clients.

10. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I hear that, but even when I grabbed the first AC Router from Asus it wasn't anywhere close to $280.. that was new technology too.. why was it so much cheaper?

I feel like the price of new tech has started to creep up over the years. IMO a home consumer brand router @ $280 is a pretty shocking price point. Just can't seem to figure out who would buy this at that price.