Linksys router won't play nice with my new modem

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by DSparil, Aug 13, 2020.

1. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Hey Guru's! So all was 100% well in internet land, and I had my old modem and router working flawlessly. Since my modem was severely outdated, I picked up a new one and am back online. Unfortunately the router is not. It will not sync up with the modem, and I'm not sure how to get these two to play nice together. What do you guys recommend to configure this thing with my new modem? I'm on Win10, and its a fairly new Linksys router with brand new Netgear modem.

- PROBLEM SOLVED -

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Did you have access to both device configuration page?

3. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    I do, but was finally able to resolve the issue with a few attempts at a full factory reset. I finally got it to talk to the modem and connect properly, but then had to jump a couple hoops with a firmware update. Problem solved.

386SX and anticupidon like this.
  4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i curious, firmware update for modem? or router?, and what new modem?

I bought netgearCM600( this should be capable of 1gbit if it ever happen on cable i have) year and half ago to get away from the the puma 6 chip almost all isp seem to want use as there modem

DSparil likes this.

5. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    It was a firmware update for the Linksys router. I picked up a Netgear CM500 myself, so ours would be similar. I'm not sure what yours might have that this doesn't, perhaps more downstream channels? This one has 16. It was more of a forced purchase, as my old Cisco DPC3010 modem decided to completely kick the bucket on me. Turned out to be a nice little upgrade though, as I'm seeing around 80 more gbp/s with this modem!

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    CM is 24 down 16/up

up 960mbit

My ISP lock all 24 down but only use 16 streams and lock 4 up and use 4 of 8 up.

get 500mbit out of the 400mbit I should get down, but the upload is pathetic only 20mbit up which give me roughly 23mbit up.

The more channels used the better the chance of you getting you provisions speed and beyond.