1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Links from Google and Bing are being redirected

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by SickBoy254698, Apr 9, 2011.

1. SickBoy254698

SickBoy254698 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 780 OC
    I know Spyware isn't a regular topic around here but I'm not a forum member anywhere else so here goes.

Thursday morning I picked up a customer's laptop and got rid of some nasty spyware she had picked up. I get a call from her this morning and she tells me there is a different program running now and she can't do anything. I picked it up again and cleaned it up for her but this time around what she had picked up was a huge pain in the a$$ to remove. In the process of removing this infection I discovered the actual problem. Links from webpages work fine but links from Google or Bing searches are being hijacked and I can't seem to find the source of the issue. This is what led to the computer getting infected twice to begin with. Spybot did not detect this either and I can't seem to find anything unusual in the Hijackthis report.

She's going out of town tomorrow and I need to get this fixed. I tried to Google this a thousand different ways and I can't seem to find a solution. I know it's something easy and I'm just overlooking something that is going to make me feel stupid but I don't have time to waste on this one. Please only respond if you can help with this specific issue. Don't post links to random tutorials, general spyware guides of anything that doesn't relate to this issue specifically. I know what I'm doing and have been doing it for years. I hate having to look like a jerk and say that but it happens to often so sorry.

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You don't have Spyware, you have a BHO (Browser Hijacker). Try running Malwarebytes and see how you go..also check your hosts file to see if anything has been added.
    Can you post your HJT log?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  3. Detection

Detection Banned

GPU:
    2 x 6850 - CrossFireX
  4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ehow seem a little dazed & confused .. they call it a virus and then vaguely advise removing it with spyware remover...and don't mention host's file etc...

The brighthub link is a good one tho...good detailed info..

5. Detection

Detection Banned

GPU:
    2 x 6850 - CrossFireX
    I realised that after I posted the eHow one, and went looking for a better one describing similar fixes to your own post ;)