1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

limit to 120 fps with RTSS on 120hz monitor or other value?

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by alexander1986, Jan 11, 2019.

1. alexander1986

alexander1986 Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    so I'm playing a lot of fortnite and the engine is unreal engine 4 in that game, same as PUBG for example, for the longest time i've been using the ingame framelimiter to set 120 fps, vsync off,

(monitor is asus vg248qe lightboost enabled 10% at 120 hz)

but then today I was interested if there was any difference using unlimited frames ingame, and limiting to 120 with RTSS instead and got some interesting results,

with ingame limiter 120 fps vsync off = frametime is never a flat line and never below 9.3 or so ms even when fps is 120,

with riva limiting instead frametime line is completely flat and solid 8.3 ms frametime, mouse input also feels more responsive somehow and smoother overall, for me this was very surprising as I thought limiting frames at the engine level, especially in such a popular and modern game would be superior to 3rd party limiting ?

could this be the issue that im measuring frametime with same application im using to limit the frames with, RTSS ? so its not a "true" result? it still feels better/faster input though if its not placebo, also there is a bit more tearing with riva but feels better still either way, im very insensitive to tearing and lag is more important for me, anyway would be interesting to hear some opinions on this and if anyone tested this in fortnite/pubg and what were your results?

Have one final question also about what value I should limit to , should I just keep RTSS at 120 or some other value like 119 or other value (and why?) my true monitor refreshrate according to testufo site is 120.004 hz if that is important, thanks a lot for any feedback!

2. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    You could try the Blur Busters' method of low latency Vsync ON. Try limiting the framerate in RTSS to a value that equals your monitors' refresh rate - 0,01 (eg. 120 - 0,01 = 119,99). To find a more precise measurment of your refresh rate, you can use this link to a Blur Busters test utility:

https://www.testufo.com/refreshrate

3. alexander1986

alexander1986 Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    thanks for answer but I don't want to run with vsync on even if its the low lag trick, also I did test my hz its 120.004 if you read the post again :p still looking for answers if anyone knows why im experiencing the above situation and if rtss should be at 120 or other number for best result with vsync off !

4. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Oops, sorry for that! My brain must have edited that one out... You could also try the Scanline sync method that the latest version of Rivatuner allows. Under the field where you enter your FPS limit is a field that controls the new Scanline sync. If it's 0, the feature is turned off. When you input a number, RTSS will try sync to a specific scanline. Try putting in -1, for example. That should hide the tearline. There are more in-depth tutorials on this subforum by much more competent people than me, so try going through those for more information about this feature. Keep in mind that this feature requires a bit of GPU headway in order to keep the tearline stable.

alexander1986 likes this.

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    It's not uncommon that a 3rd party tool, especially RTSS, provides stabler frametimes than ingame limiters.
    RTSS uses proper CPU based limiting hence the solid frametimes. This is also the reason you feel control is more responsive as frametimes don't vary.

Another user reported not long ago the exact same finding with Fortnite, saying using the ingame limiter he barely even reached the cap whereas with RTSS framerate is almost consistently at the cap.

Also my personal experience with U4E games is they all have less than optimal framepacing for some reason. Depends on game ofc but seems to be inherent to the engine.

alexander1986 likes this.
  6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Frame time jitter is not that important with vsync off. However, use whatever feels best to you, I'd say.

7. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 /AMD v7
    Try scanline option. Like 1 or -1. See where tear line appears. I set my like 1cm top screen so it does not bother me at all. U have like v-sync game limited to your refresh rate without additional input lag that said v-sync adds.
    Better than limiting by rtss framelimiter itself, or ingame.