Limit both FPS and temperature?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Thorium232, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Thorium232

Thorium232 New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA
    Hi, sorry if this questions has already been asked.

I'm using NVIDIA Inspector to globally limit my FPS to 60, but i'd like to put a limit on the GPU temperature aswell (around 75 or 80) is there a way of doing so inside NVIDIA Inspector itself, or do I have to use RTSS for the fps and NVIDIA Inspector for the temperature? (as far as that would keep things stable and compatible...)

Edit: using Vsync in combination with the temp limit is not very good, as Vsync buffers excess frames and doesn't really make your GPU strain less.

2. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    First, post your specs, card and what your trying to do.

My guess is MSI AB will handle all that but not sure why you want to limit temp, if you mean lower clocks (throttle) when X temp.

Anyway, with AB you can set fan rpm profile, temp limit, power limit and cap fps per game/app.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  3. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x970,Gsync,3DVsn2
    Don't know if we don't have same Inspector and/or settings for it BUT if you pay attention there are many values lower the usual fps limit ones, some with temps too..
    for example I see from 60° up to 95°

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  4. Thorium232

Thorium232 New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA
    I have multiple devices, so posting a configuration is cumbersome.
    First one has GTX 560 and other one GT 840M, both NVIDIA (screw AMD imo)
    (but does it matter?)

I'm trying to put both an FPS limit and a temperature limit on the GPU.
    For example: put limit on 60 FPS globally, but ALSO put temperature limit on 75°C, so yes, it will throttle itself when reaching 75.
    NVIDIA Inspector can only do ONE of those features at a time, not both combined. (unless I'm missing something)

Edit: all of this without messing with overclock/underclock settings, or voltages.

The problem with NVIDIA Inspector is: when I want to limit the temperature to 75 °C, it will do so and throttle when getting there, but it will happen very rapidly, because there is no FPS limit active.
    So, the GPU will output an excessive 120 frames and then rapidly reaches 75°C and throttle already. I want to prevent that from happening by putting both an fps and a temp limit.

Please take a sufficient amount of time to reread.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20

Use rivatuner (RTSS) to limit FPS and set nvidia inspector to limit to temp target.

One will take over the other depending on scenario.

6. Thorium232

Thorium232 New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA
    You're certain it won't cause conflicts?

Also, does RTSS fps limiter work everytime, without having to open the app? (like NVIDIA Inspector's does)

7. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x970,Gsync,3DVsn2
    Has to run in the background.

8. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 3G
    I found MSI Afterburner incredibly bloated and had that HORRID, trying way too hard to look cool UI, don't know about Rivatuner. So I use nvidia Inspector's (if you're already using it for frame rate limit...) overclocking section, but don't overclock. I just move the temperature target slider from 83 to 74 and that works fine by me. The boost clock may not go as high or the fan may run faster, but whatever it takes. I did not like my card running at 80+ during games just for that 0.47 FPS "gain".

You can create a desktop shortcut to apply the settings, then in windows 7 drop that in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp\your settings shorcut.lnk" to have it applied at startup, but in Windows 10, I had to create a .Bat file (let's call it Temp74.bat), then make a shortcut to that in the StartUp folder. F***ing Windows 10....fights you over everything.

Temp74.bat contains this text, adjust path to nvidia inspector and temps/clocks as needed:

Code:
    start /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\Tools\nvidia inspector" nvidiaInspector.exe -setBaseClockOffset:0,0,0 -setMemoryClockOffset:0,0,0 -setPowerTarget:0,100 -setTempTarget:0,0,74
    Then make a shortcut to the .Bat file and put in the StartUp folder. I like to rightclick > properties on the shortcut and tell it to run minimized so there is no command prompt popping up at start.

I actually downclock just a bit as well, so for example, my Temp74.BAT contains (-20 core, -10 memory, 74 temp target):

Code:
    start /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\Tools\nvidia inspector" nvidiaInspector.exe -setBaseClockOffset:0,0,-20 -setMemoryClockOffset:0,0,-10 -setPowerTarget:0,100 -setTempTarget:0,0,74

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti @2GHz air
    MSI Afterburner allows you to limit on temperature or power.
    You can set the clocks and voltage too with profiles for different uses.
    There is a frame rate limiter with the included Rivatuner Statistics Server.
    The monitoring graphs are great.

10. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    You're thinking of true triple buffered VSync which keeps rendering frames, displaying the most recent one every VSync interval. But that's not the norm. Most DX11 games achieve some effects of triple buffering through flip queues, mainly framerates that are not divisors of the refresh rate (e.g. 40FPS @ 60Hz), but as for VSync, frame rendering stops and a waiting period starts when a frame is rendered in under 1 / refresh rate.