Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII Release Dated on Steam

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by kx11, Nov 1, 2015.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
  2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    (This is a re-post of my Steam forum post)

I have found the Xbox One controller to act a bit strange with this game when used in Windows 10 Pro v1511.

It works fine for combat, exploration and menu management (using Y) but as soon I press the Menu button (equivalent of Start on the Xbox 360 controller) then both the controller and keyboard stop recognising inputs so I am unable to use either the D-pad or the cursor keys to access the Save function to save the game!!!

However, if I turn off the controller then I can use the keyboard to navigate the menu and save the game then turn the controller back on to play the game. Basically, the only way I can save manually when playing with the controller is to keep turning it off to save the game using the keyboard. This issue also affects Final Fantasy XIII-2.

This absolutely ludicrous IMO and it is why I would recommend anyone thinking of picking up an Xbox One controller as a replacement for their Xbox 360 controllers at least hold onto the older controller for compatibility reasons. I didn't and I have come across at least 20-30 compatibility issues like this with the controller in these FFXIII games, Grandia II Anniversary Edition (which at least has a workaround) and many Unity Engine titles that in all likelihood work fine with the 360 pad. I can only guess at that though because I unfortunately sold my 360 controller on thinking the Xbox One controller would work exactly the same as it, which is evidently does not in my case.

3. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Aerith costume is missing and apparently won't be added back in for PC.

4. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Strategy guide exclusive to Japan, though it was released in the EU and US as DLC (Console version of the game.) but I guess whatever they negotiated doesn't cover this late PC release.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Lightning_Returns:_Final_Fantasy_XIII_garbs

"Siegfried" is missing too apparently as it required using the Outerworld functionality which is not entirely present in the PC version of the game, plus to unlock it you would also need to have finished the demo version of the game.
    (They could just have added it as another DLC unlock outfit without too much work but I guess they choose not to.)

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Well it turns out that the Xbox One controller actually works fine in Lightning Returns: FFXIII but not in the first two games. There is a weird workaround though that someone on the Steam forums suggested for the first two games though: stab/hold down the triggers when the controller becomes unresponsive to make it work again and, yes, it does work, although it does get tedious messing around like that every time I use an access point to save the game or come across a tutorial.

I'm guessing that Square-Enix will not bother to fix those games but I cannot help wondering if it is possible to take certain files from the latest games and use them with the first two games to get the controller working properly? After all there are all using the same engine, right?

6. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    It's using the same engine "base" (White/Crystal or what it was.) but Lighting Returns has a lot of changes for the PC port from the previous two games and the engine itself was changed between FF13 and FF13-2 and then again for FF13 LR so I don't think it would be doable, besides nearly all code is in the game exe itself and not via some .dll though a third party xinput.dll hook could perhaps work if someone made it to improve gamepad compatibility.
    (Might be some generic/universal utility already available but I don't know much about this myself.)

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Roger that. Still havent finished FFXIII so I'll just wait with this one. Maybe better XONE drivers will fix the problems. I sometimes run the XBox Accessoires app in Win10 to check for updates.

8. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    https://github.com/PeterTh/gedosato/commits/master

The newest changes for GeDoSaTo has made it compatible with Lighting Returns and probably some other games too which previously crashed. :)

(All it needs now is D3D10+ support and eventually 64-bit support but we'll see what happens and when Durante actually has time to work on it.)

EDIT: Oh and the game was updated yesterday I believe it was so it now supports more (all?) 16:9 resolutions up to 3840x2160 natively without any tweaking being required.
    (It's still locked to 16:9 and I don't know if effects such as DOF handle or well scale properly above 1080P either, don't think the patch did anything for that.)

EDIT: GeDoSaTo profile also has a hash-id for toggling the UI

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  9. Anvi

Anvi Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 390 8GB
    Resolutions up to 4k are available with the patch from S-E and it even does native downsampling.

Unfortunately the DoF feature causes fugly aliasing. Standard DoF is a little better than the "Advanced" one.

I'll try if Gedosato does a little better job, but can't really complain for 14€ game :)

10. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    tons of crashes after the update

11. Phillevo

Phillevo Member

GPU:
    Zotac 980Ti amp!
    will it be included for xmas sales?

12. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    GeDoSaTo has now been updated with a plugin that solves the DOF resolution issue, also allows for enabling ambient occlusion. :)

13. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    Nope, not a single one..also, why? They just added more resolutions, nothing more.