Lian Li Launches 1499 USD DK-04 Desk-type Case

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Lian-Li Industrial Co. Ltd, today announces the DK-04 computer desk chassis: the first-ever standing computer desk. This chassis offers hardcore enthusiasts design improvements, better drive mounting,...

Lian Li Launches 1499 USD DK-04 Desk-type Case

2. KillerCroc

KillerCroc New Member

GPU:
    ATI AUW9800Pro
    first ever?

First of all, a computer case / desk? It's been done - at least 5 times that I'm aware of - first was the Redharbinger Cross Desk , and then there was Lian-Li's previous models, the DK-01, -02, and -03. So report please, don't just copy the press releases. And let's not forget the Lian Li F1 Aluminum Computer Desk - not a case, but a desk that matched with several cases they had on the market in 2006

3. ubercake

ubercake Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC Blk
    Geek's dream come true

This desk is everything a DIY-er could want, but is fairly cost-prohibitive.

Lian-Li could have this in every geek's den if priced at $499.99.

Once the R&D is paid for, they should drop the price. It makes sense not to have a separate massive tower if you can just put the parts inside the desk. Very convenient.

One thing though... Front-panel ports of any type, while convenient, will eventually date the case. They should come up with a replaceable front-panel connection plate like the one that comes with motherboards for use on the back of a case so a case never goes out of date. They could produce replaceable front-panel hubs to use with the replaceable plates to accommodate new connection types in the future. You don't want something like this desk to go out of date.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  4. Lowice

Lowice Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 980ti OC
    Without a curved edge at the sitting position, I will never buy it.

And Yes front panel need to be replaceble.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's a standing desk.

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Exactly the stuff you can't change makes you buy another table a few years later. And to be honest, it offers way to little customisation to work in my personal 'DIY' category :)

7. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 ♥ MESA 21.3
    I'm at a loss for words, no comment.

8. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080M
    Also, you want your desk to be thin, when using it in sitting position.

9. AzzKickr

AzzKickr Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega64
    *Ignore* Can't find the delete post button

10. AzzKickr

AzzKickr Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega64

Actually the first one ever was Peter Brands’s L3p D3sk ;)
    A Dutch pro-modder.

(nitpicking but credit is due where credit is due)

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Some guru rigs of the month have been custom desk chassis. For $1499 I would rather have a carpenter build it for me and buy a glass top and the necessary fittings/parts. I doubt it would be much more than a $1000.

12. dazzs

dazzs Member

GPU:
    GB 1070G1gaming
    No this a first. STANDING AND SITTING DESK / CASE CHASSIE. Before you bash someone reporting read what it said first.

13. warezme

warezme Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 970GTX Classified
    Lian Li is so lost

Lian Li used to be innovative, now their designs are derivatives of the same old thing over and over. Also their quality has sunk. The last Lian Li case I bought was made of aluminum gauge half the width of a case I bought 4 years earlier.

This overpriced desk looks like it belongs in a prison not your home office.

14. dazzs

dazzs Member

GPU:
    GB 1070G1gaming
    Lol not putting this in my home office. Wife acts like the warden enough. Lol

15. pimpineasy

pimpineasy Master Guru

GPU:
    1050ti/Rx570
    $1500 they are smoking crack rocks.. i could make something like this with scrap metal/wood from the free section on craigslist. lmao

16. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Aorus-Extreme-1080TI
    When i have more spare time i fancy having a go at building something like this for myself,
    It would need to be longer than this and would need at least 3 draws either side .

For what this is i do find it overpriced .

17. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Looks nice and all But If I am dropping $1500 dollars on a desk it better do more then just go up and down hehe, For $1500 dollars I can buy the material I need plus the pc parts and build myself a nice desk very close to what you see here plus the pc parts included- No thanks Li I will have to pass on this one.

18. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Right? Why spend the $ on this prebuilt when you can get custom whatever style materials you want made for as much if not less... makes no sense.

19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I completely agree with you guys.

20. War child

War child Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 980Ti SLI
    You all fail to realise the high cost of this comes from the powered legs.

I aquired very similar legs to this for my own desk and the retail was £1100. (luckily cost me zero as it was surplus stock from my office) So for what it is, Lian Li has provided a reasonably priced desk. Still not to my liking however but cost wise, I can't see how they can charge lower.

I also agree with you that it would be far better to make your own customised case for the same money. Gamers don't need to adjust the height... just change the height of your own chair :D

I have adjustable legs because I like to stand sometimes when I am working at my desk at home.