1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG Unveils First OLED TVs with NVIDIA G-SYNC Support

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    LG  joined forces with NVIDIA adding support for G-SYNC Compatibility to its stunning 2019 OLED TVs (model 65/55E9, model 77/65/55C9). LG's newest OLED products offer blazing speed and stunning colo...

LG Unveils First OLED TVs with NVIDIA G-SYNC Support

Maddness likes this.
  2. Maddness

Maddness Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW
    Oh hell yeah. Now I’m keen. Absolutely love my 2 LG OLED TVs. Really happy that they are finally supporting VRR over HDMI. About time Nvidia.

3. Camaxide

Camaxide Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Gaming X SLI
    It’s hard to see why they would release such a tv capped at 60hz... 4K120 is the next step up to get tv’s up for smooth livingroom gaming.

4. oli3

oli3 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC
    I knew it would pay off holding back on purchasing a new OLED just yet!!! Much excite.

But on another note, what are the burn-in implications of using this TV as a monitor? It's my only concern.

5. Maddness

Maddness Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW
    Well I’ve been using one of mine hooked up to my PC it’s a C7 65” and I use it a lot and so far have no signs of burn in. As long as you don’t have static images you will be fine.

6. Maddness

Maddness Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW
    As it’s HDMI 2.1 I’d expect them to enable 120hz @ 4k with an update.

7. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega56 + Morpheus 2
    G-Sync Compatible? Don't you mean the open adaptive sync standard thats compatible with all vendors (Intel, AMD and nvidia)?

Why do we get these stupid branding names suggesting a narrower or exclusive compatibility instead? I prefer news getting just the facts and leave the marketing out of it.

OnnA likes this.
  8. Glottiz

Glottiz Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 1080Ti
    Probably just money changing hands between Nvidia and LG. Samsung TVs had VRR implementation since 2018 yet Nvidia doesn't acknowledge this. At least they said you'll be able to enable on any VRR-enabled TV, even if it's not LG, so that's something...

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    OnnA likes this.
  9. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    They are supporting official HDMI Variable Refresh Rate, ie. HDMI 2.1 feature only, unlikely to work with pre-existing "FreeSync" HDMI PC monitors - just in case someone gets too overly-excited.

Practically, there are no Displays that do this yet, so there was nothing to support yet.

10. Maddness

Maddness Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW
    I'm sure it's only a matter of time. They did cave in and support adaptive sync after all.

11. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    I wonder if it will work if you do not connect to the internet on your tv.

It's a minor concern I have, but these new televisions to appear to have lots of functionality which require connection to the internet, or, have code on the SoC from companies like Google, Amazon etc which appear to be using the television for data gathering on usage stats etc.

I think we give these companies enough info...and now nvidia are collecting data from televisions, too?

12. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Yes it's FreeSync (VRR is FreeSync)

"G-SYNC compatible just means that it's Freesync and is tested with Nvidia's implementation of Freesync which is years behind AMD's since Nvidia just adopted Freesync.
    Nvidia needs to make features for the future gaming community not just catch up to open standards" ;)

But thanks to AMD they will at last support Open Standards so GJ....
    AMD FreeSync in nV terminology is G-SYNC compatible.

Note:
    For me it's just good old Freesync, period.

"With HDMI 2.1, VRR support becomes a mandatory feature of the standard, forcing both TV makers and device makers to adopt support for variable refresh rates.
    Let's be clear, this is why Nvidia is supporting HDMI VRR.
    They have to support it to fully support HDMI 2.1."

-> https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_1/index.aspx

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  13. Dribble

Dribble Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    If this was school the open adaptive sync standard can be seen more as the course, the g-sync compatible bit is the exam. The TV maker takes the exam in that Nvidia will test their equipment and give you a pass or fail and you get a certificate that means something at the end of it.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    It is not Freesync HDMI.

Freesync HDMI is not Open standard.

15. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 2080Ti FE
    I'll believe the hype when i see it happen for real. Currently i have two 2019 LG TV's. The C9 OLED and the SM559000 Nanocell. Both of these TV's suffer from lack of eARC support over the HDMI 2.1 sockets. LG simply haven't implemented it. If you hook up a Blu Ray player to the TV HDMI 1 socket, then hook up the LG SL10YG soundbar to the eARC socket and play a movie, you get audio lag. The video images are 1-2 seconds ahead of the audio.

This is because LG have not enabled eARC correctly. If you plug an Xbox One X into the TV, there are no 5.1 or 7.1 audio passthrough options, only Stereo. So that means they haven't even activated 5.1/7.1 over LPCM... again, only Stereo. The Dolby Atmos option can be selected but like i say, using that causes audio to be 1-2 seconds behind the video footage. They're cramming a surround sound signal into 2 audio channels like absolute muppets.

I'm pretty sure this could be fixed in a firmware update but it has been 6 months since launch and it still hasn't been rectified. So i have very little confidence that LG can deliver on the G-sync compatibility statement if they can't even fix the audio.

Here is a video clip of another user who logged the problem first:

He and I both could plug the Xbox or blu ray player directly into the Soundbar and send the signal the other way up to the TV. This fixes the audio lag issue but... because the xbox and blu ray player aren't plugged directly into the TV, we'd lose out on ALLM and VRR because the soundbar cannot pass those signals through. The soundbar also can't passthrough Dolby Vision either. So we need those HDMI 2.1 sockets fully enabled corrently via firmware.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    eARC is not for connecting a Computer to a Soundbar through a TV.

17. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Why not just use Optical out for devices that will not use eARC, or, cannot make use of such audio to a beneficial level?

I don't know about which tv's you got, but I would be surprised if they didn't have optical out, I guess is my point.

airbud7 likes this.
  18. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Source on that "quote"? Nvidia's implementation is not "years" behind AMD WTF do you think laptop G-sync displays are? Nvidia just is more stringent in what they certify.

19. Glottiz

Glottiz Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 1080Ti
    False. This has nothing to do with HDMI 2.1. Nvidia doesn't sell any graphics hard that have HDMI 2.1.

20. bombardier

bombardier Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti GAMING