LG Signs a deal with Lewis Hamilton

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    LG Electronics (LG) announced that Six-Time Formula One World Champion Lewis Hamilton has been signed to be the global ambassador for its LG SIGNATURE, the company’s premium home solutions brand. Ha...

LG Signs a deal with Lewis Hamilton

2. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    Out of all the famous people out there... they chose a man-child.

CalculuS, Neo Cyrus, nick0323 and 4 others like this.
  3. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks the same...prima donna...

SniperX and JAMVA like this.
  4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Because you certainly make your payment decisions based on if a race car driver tells you a TV is good, or not...

Despite my personal dislike of Hamilton, why do companies think people will buy more of their products if they push millions into "testimonials" who just lie to people telling them how good a generic unreleased and untested product (the latest of them of course) are, never even considering using it themselves?

Silva and INSTG8R like this.

5. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    I mean I have an LG 4K TV I don’t think any particular spokesperson would have influenced my decision

fantaskarsef likes this.
  6. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Same here. But I don't feel like I'd like to imagine that say €50 of what I paid went into Hamilton's pocket for no apparent reason but to influence the weak minded.

That I won't buy an LG TV again after I needed three models to get one working without fault is a totally different topic.

Silva and INSTG8R like this.
  7. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/GTX 1060
    Thank you LG - I will stay away from your hardware from now on.

Silva likes this.
  8. EndlessE

EndlessE New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Its really old business models still at play. Endorsements and Testimonials, alongside brand loyalty formed a "team". People bought things from their "team's" exclusively. Limited marketing, and effort required.

--

What irk's me is
    Who thinks "Technology" and "Art", then thinks "Formula 1!!!!", its a extreme stretch... it just happens to be a "sport", you can stick permanent advertisements on both the object in play and the operator...

fantaskarsef likes this.
  9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    I like the way they did a stealth consultancy with Lewis, who helped LG with the methodology of how to not pay tax :)

Oh, just look it up - Lewis dodged tax for a jet plane he bought...and then tried to preach about global warming to kids, at the same time his twitter account was talking about his new jet plane.

Very thick irony.

JAMVA likes this.
  10. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    The hate for Hamilton is thick in this thread, lol.

11. Blueabyss25

Blueabyss25 Member

GPU:
    PalitGRP 1080Ti 11G
    a man-child yes, but he drives an F1 at 300 km/h, so he is the symbol par excellence of mastery, and control.
    (although for me the F1 competition is not interesting.)

12. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    So...he was born with fast reflexes and a shorter-than-average physical dimensions, that allow him to fit inside a racing car.

I'm happy to slow clap that.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  13. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I mean, I have to admit, probably nobody would believe or act according to the opinion of a massively overweight person sitting there. Although he probably would know best, only watch TV the whole days etc.
    That thought alone would be so absurd that it only shows that commercials and ads are a business of deception.

14. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    Same thing with these "Instagram influencers". I do not understand why anyone would care, but people do care and apparently buy stuff based on those recommendations. If it was waste of money perhaps companies would have stopped doing this for a long time ago.

15. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    Make that three of us ^^

16. TalentX

TalentX Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 / 8GB
    What makes me wonder more is the fact that recently quite many large companies are on a crusade obtaining other companies. All started shortly before and after Corona-Parody. Coincidence? I don't think so. Many companies are suffering due to the lockdown-circumstances, thus big companies see a chance in obtaining them. But for the long-term this is no good for the consumer.

17. Archvile82

Archvile82 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 FTW U
    Can't stand the guy... absolute d*** and that's coming from a Brit :)

I also dont understand why these big companies waste money signing a celebrity thinking it will make you want to go and buy one.

A bit like B&O make slick design but the inside a licensed cheap crap Samsung but they advertise the fact footballers ect go out and buy it :rolleyes:

SniperX and JAMVA like this.
  18. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Of course this is not coincidence. Businesses with cash reserves were smart to cheap buy their own shares in march, when stocks dipped. Now they have easily made 50+% on those shares in many cases, which they use to arrange to buy companies that did not have enough cash to do this.

And yes, this dynamic tends to bring the total market situation more towards "the big buy more of the small ones", making them get even bigger while the small ones sell or disappear.

19. Silva

Silva Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX560 4G
    After finding out they're the reason that most monitors aren't true 8bit and 6 bit + FRC that are killing my eyesight, I'll never buy one either.

I'd be more convinced if it was Linus from LTT over this fag.

cryohellinc likes this.
  20. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    What happened to LG? they use to be a very cool company, i don't know if they are failing in their marketing campaigns but i haven't heard about any cool tech from them since a very long time ago. I even remember the first tactile phone i have used was an LG in that moment they were everywhere, now... in mobile they have being doing absurd stuff like the auto fliping phone and every phone i see from them is late to the party or just cheap in the hand. i won't speak about SONY because i wont say any good thing.