LG OLED TVs To Receive NVIDIA G-SYNC Upgrade Starting This Week

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 1, 2019.

1. haste

haste Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    That is great news indeed. I'm really happy that common sense took over. I only wish more modern monitors and TVs received such fw updates. It would be so much easier to buy a new device.

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Well I don't have an OLED (but 2019 LG TV), and apparently it still works (see latest Nvidia driver thread).

Free is free... can't see much bad about it from a technical side.

Maddness likes this.
  3. DG21

DG21 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti WF Extreme
    Right now I own an almost 5 year old Samsung ue55hu8290 curved TV as screen only for my PC to do musicproduction with Ableton, cause it's just very convenient to have 0.8m² @100DPI.

Also I own a 1080TI waterforce extreme, that runs out of the box @2GHz+.

To have a replacement with OLED and gsync as well would just be a charme.

So I can enjoy quite a few AAA titles on high to ultra setting, when I find a bit of time.

Just my 2 cents... :)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  4. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    I'm usually the last person to throw out the label but this post is about as wackjob conspiracy theory as you can get. Spend a little time on this forum and you'll see that the majority of frequent posters are pro-AMD. Click on any Intel or nVIdia related topic and its nothing but a carpet bombing of thread crappers, always changing the subject to how great some new/upcoming AMD product is.
    If viewed in a vacuum, one would likely think that AMD holds the greater market share but that is entirely not the case. AMD owns about 19% of the desktop CPU market and less than 15% of the GPU market according to the latest steam hardware survey. If anyone was utilizing a "loud persistent presence" it would be AMD. But i wont entertain such a crackpot theory that all these AMD fans on this site are part of some AMD funded scheme. They're just AMD chip/gpu owners who are extremely passionate about the products they own and think this is a good way to convince the competition to switch sides.

yasamoka, MegaFalloutFan and fry178 like this.

5. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090
    Current OLED are 150NIT, next year they going to 200NIT, in 2020 300NIT + even wider color gamut + twice longevity from 15K hours to 30K
    You can update now and wait for 2022 to update next time for Ultimate OLED, or you can wait for next year and get higher nits panel
    Or you can update now, and next year too, i might do it if i manage to sell my TV, 48inch coming next year, it will be Superior PC monitor then the 55inch that I use + all the updates I mentioned + higher PPI and still big enough to close my view of the wall behind my desk

6. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080S WaterForceWB
    you mean 5-700 nits..
    at least for the specs i've seen

7. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    After viewing a C9 OLED right next to a Samsung QLED Q90 the OLED wins hands down. It has the right balance between vibrancy and contrast while the QLED suffers from bloom/halo and attempts to melt your eyeballs out of their sockets with unnecessary peak brightness. I'll definitely go for an OLED when the C10 comes out next year.

fry178 likes this.
  8. nick0323

nick0323 Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 Jetstream OC
    I don't think it's been mentioned here but the cheaper LG B9 TV's are now also getting some G-Sync love. This was announced in October. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/g-sync-compatible-2019-lg-tv-available-now/

I'm not sure why they were missed initially, I thought it may have been related to a CPU limitation but the TV does have VRR and HDMI 2.1.

In addition, we’ve worked closely with LG to also bring G-SYNC Compatible support to their 2019 B9 4K OLED TVs, taking the number of supported LG TVs to 7 across the B9, C9 and E9 ranges.

9. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080S WaterForceWB
    @RavenMaster
    Check the price on the A8G, they sound way better and use the same panel.
    The last couple of weeks we had the sony for cheaper.

10. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Capped at 60hz though coz those don't have HDMI 2.1

11. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080S WaterForceWB
    and your gaming 4K@120?
    1080p/1440p should still allow for 120