LG OLED TVs To Receive NVIDIA G-SYNC Upgrade Starting This Week

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    fantaskarsef, nick0323 and Maddness like this.
  2. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Does LG really believe that console gamers are going to buy their TVs labeld gsync when told it's for nvidia only hardware?

Or better yet who, on mass, is buying turing cards to run off their TV's?

"This gonna get gud" meme comes to mind.

3. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080
    Once again someone who ostensibly considers themselves an "enthusiast" or "guru" immediately shits on a company for adding additional features their competitors don't have at no additional cost. Boggles the mind how you think this was a worthwhile post. What should they have done here? Not been gsync compatible?

4. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    This is the dumbest, most self center, egotistical bubble of a post yet in 2019 and we still have a few more weeks to go.
    It not only boggles my mind that you "feel" we should share your limited view that "Nvidia is PC and console gaming" but your run-on of a post makes for hard reading.

If you cannot grasp the logistics of a view point outside your bubble nor see the rudimentary gist of my post then no wonder you post in such a way that comes off as a cultist.

However, since you asked (in a long winded emotional way) I do not agree that gysnc should be in TV's as it adds no value for console gamers and the labeling as such is confusing. Which offers nothing of benefit to me as a PC and console player.

Now, having said that, look at the crux of my post.
    -There is no proof that people with Turing cards, on mass, are buying TV's instead of Monitors.
    -This Gsync TV won't appeal to console players do to it's segregation for Nvidia (IMO).

EDIT:
    I just checked some prices for this 55"-65"
    These TV's cost well over $1400- $2400.
    HAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Sure someone might buy LG OLED for OLED but you kid yourself believing Gyncs labeling offers any real value here. It's more of parasite addition then anything else IMO.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019

5. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Gaming PC in the living room is getting more popular. I had this setup for a couple of years and I know several other people who are working this way now. I'm actually considering replacing my desk and monitor in the office with a TV and couch, with a lapboard.

Having G-Sync on a TV would be great - especially an OLED.

6. Aekold

Aekold Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    I'll take any free feature updates I can get! Just wish they applied it to the B7 series that I currently have.

Also, I don't see anything referencing console gamers in this press release, so it might not be their target audience. A lot of people have secondary HTPCs that might want the feature for casual TV gaming with controller, as well as people who occassionally plug their main rig into the OLED (like I do) to get a really cinematic experience for games like Tomb Raider.

Maddness and fry178 like this.
  7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    oh, the narcissistic deflection is dripping from you.

8. Inquisitor

Inquisitor Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC Hybr

I think you're being self centered, just because you are not interested in this particular feature, doesn't mean others aren't either. They've added extra functionality to their TVs at no cost, if you find no use for it move on and enjoy whatever TV you have purchased

GSync on a TV would certainly make it on my list of Pro points for a TV if I was looking for one and a modern TV for that price I would definitely want some kind of GSync/VRR going on.

9. Aekold

Aekold Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    Laptops are a good solution if you have the space for both and don't want two rigs. Just wish they weren't so expensive in comparison. :( Sounds like you only have space for one or the other, though.

10. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    In that case if you already have the TV I would agree with you. But if you looking for TV/ Monitor not so much.

Ah, this was a thing over 10 years ago, where have you been? This isn't new.

You do see the contradiction there right?
    :D

I provided 2 examples that are woven in reality. Also noting the cost of these TV's. One thing you seem to be missing is that these are not Monitors but actual TVs. The selling point is that it offers OLED not gsync. You imply the opposite then claim I'm being selfish because I won't garner that view point. Nah, you are actually defining the very thing you try to point finger to.

And as I've said before:

-There is no proof that people with Turing cards, on mass, are buying TV's instead of Monitors.
    -This Gsync TV won't appeal to (next gen) console players do to it's segregation for Nvidia (IMO).
    -Gsync for these OLED Tvs are cost prohibitive if Gysnc is the focus (which is what some of you are focusing on).

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I have a mix of both. My desk is in my livingroom, with the couch facing the TV and evenly centered with it. Although I could use a wireless keyboard+mouse, I prefer to just sit at the desk whenever I'm playing a game. Sitting closer to a big screen is more immersing anyway. There's never been a time someone else in the room wanted to do something different when I was sitting at the desk so it's always worked out for me.

12. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    I just had enough room on my PC desk to pop on a 43in 4k HDR tv onto my PC desk to replaced my aging HannsG 28in 1080p monitor, now pc monitor gaming is dead to me. lol

fry178 likes this.
  13. NudeDude

NudeDude Member

GPU:
    2080Ti
    What the hell are you shouting about :O

Free update to make PC gaming better on premium TV and it is something bad?

If these were lot cheaper i would replace my monitor with this kind of TV (better of 120hz @ 4k still...) to get real blacks and superb picture quality over plastic over priced toy-monitors.

My next TV will be able to show PC gaming too.

fry178 likes this.
  14. wavetrex

wavetrex Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    Adaptive Sync in TV's is great !

however,
    iNvidia hijacking a free technology to their own branding and marketing is just evil.

And even worse, they are getting away with it !

MonstroMart, Mesab67 and carnivore like this.
  15. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    WTF are you guys going on about G-sync .It is Freesync on a TV which is a great thing.Can be used with AMD/Nvidia and Xbox.I do not see a problem here at all and use my PC and TV a lot to game,although I prefer a monitor.
    First sentence from article

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You mean like AMD did with freesync and didn't even bother to qualify displays with the slogan.

Loophole35, Maddness and fry178 like this.
  17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Yeah I don't get that argument "it's okay for AMD to brand their implementation of Adaptive Sync but not Nvidia"

I don't get what you're talking about? The TV already supports variable refresh rate - they advertise that and you can already enable it on the Xbox One X. This is simply just adding the extended features of GSync Compatible as well (LFC and whatnot).

18. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Master Guru

GPU:
    DECIDING

My 40'' 4k TV, not OLED is my tv, music, gaming, internet browsing, love it, hdmi only - I'm easily pleased :p

19. Cplifj

Cplifj Active Member

GPU:
    290X
    doesn't Nvidia Gsync need extra hardware ? Then when it does not , it is more like AMD freesync. in other words NO BRAND INVOLVED, just the standard vesa adaptive sync technology.

Losercompanies running with the BRANDNAME. As if the brandname will make things good, look at apple. It's stupid and childish. aka marketing and it's toddler employees.

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Freesync is AMD's brand name for the extended features on Adaptive Sync. So it's literally working on you lol.

Andrew LB and Maddness like this.