LG offers a 47,5-inch OLED gaming display with 4K resolution with up to 138 Hz refresh rate.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 26, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Valken likes this.
  2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
  3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Eh.. make it 27, 32, 34, or 35" and then I'll say finally. I think LG made a big mistake not trying to do oled at popular monitor sizes. Samsung beat them to the punch and over the next few years I think most people will be buying new Samsung OLED monitors.

TheDeeGee, Icanium, Undying and 2 others like this.
  4. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    No under 30'' sizes...
    I'm at 24.5'' currently and I find it hard to justify going to 27'' just to have QHD, let alone going +30''.
    Where am I supposed to put this monitor? My desk is 80cm deep and I had to extend it for the 24.5'' I have now...

TheDeeGee likes this.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    maybe in another 10 years or so sub 32" oled? i starting to think by time this happens i will be already dead :rolleyes:

TheDeeGee, Solfaur, Undying and 2 others like this.
  6. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I would prefer a Q-OLED also, but they want to go the wide 1440p route, which I don't like at all. I believe that whoever creates a 4k120 16:9 panel at 32", will basically get a really large market of people. I would buy one of these without further thought.

I really have the annoying issue with my mobo/GPU combo that when CSM is disabled (for pure UEFI mode), the GPU will not display over HDMI until it loads the GPU driver. Also most reference designs have only one HDMI port, and I really need that to connect to the TV, so the Display Port is a must for me for the monitor.

Icanium likes this.
  7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Im actually glad they are going 34 ultrawide. Its becoming more popular. Lg needs to jump on it instead of making these gaming tvs. Who wants a 48" tv for a desk monitor?

Agonist and Solfaur like this.
  8. Moonbogg

Moonbogg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti@2.1GHz
    Can't fool me. That's a 48" television set.

9. Toss3

Toss3 Guest

GPU:
    WC Inno3D GTX 980 TI
    Really hope they release a 42" version of this! Would get the 42" TV otherwise, but it doesn't work with my macbook on 120Hz. Already have a 48" CX.

10. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Ultrawides are kind of terrible for work. They're worse than a 16:9 monitor for reading text, and worse than a second monitor to have things on the side.

11. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger Master Guru

Yep @PrMinisterGR, also the curve throws things off of being good for productivity.

12. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I also know that a lot of people don't care, but a 1440p 27" screen (which is what a 34" ultrawide really is, just a bit stretched), has really low DPI for any text work.

13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    We are talking about gaming though where 34" uw is incredible and immersive. That pixel density is just like 27" 1440p. Easier to drive than 4k but still looks very nice.

Agonist likes this.
  14. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    80cm is exactly the distance from my face to 55inch OLED that use as a monitor, you are overthinking this.
    You get used to it fast
    48 and 42 are even more palatable

IMHO anything below 35inch 16:9 is outright too small and i can never go back to tiny monitors like 27 or 32

15. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Good luck when you're 60 years old and can't see anything out your thick glasses.

Undying and TheDeeGee like this.

16. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Guess LG also has desks with a 4 meter depth, cuz there is no way this works at sitting 1 meter away.

Can we get 27 Inch 1440p OLED already for actual desk use?

eGGroLLiO and Silva like this.
  17. Tymplar

Tymplar Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3090
    Q-OLED? You mean QLED? QLED is Samsung's competitive product line to LGs OLED. It's vendor-specific, like how LGs IPS technology is branded as, "Nano IPS". Any manufacturer can spit out a 32" 4K 120Hz panel every day of the week, but it's going to come down to the type of lighting technology employed.

And regarding your no CSM / full UEFI issue, are you saying that you have an actual MONITOR connected via DisplayPort + a second display (being a TV) connecting over HDMI in a multi-display configuration? It's a bandwidth issue, which is why DisplayPort (via 1.4a) has been the king of the hill up until the past year or so with HDMI 2.1 being the go-to for anyone with that need or setup that only allows for it (since TVs don't have DisplayPort ports). TVs were never designed to operate as being attached to a computer as its primary display, and vice-versa with monitors never having been designed as being attached to streaming devices, STBs, DVD/Blu-ray players, etc... I've seen in some cases where the TV needs to be configured via NVCP with specific chroma subsampling to get things to work as expected, and even then, sometimes it's a matter of which port you use in which order, or other TV-specific settings (like "Deep Color" or the like, depending on the TVs manufacturer). But all one can do in this regard is either try to figure it out, or deal with it until they upgrade their setup since, well, "It just isn't designed to work that way..."

My. Man. Gaming indeed, and I'm with ya on the Ultrawide / immersion bit. I went from dual ASUS ROG Swift PG278Qs a few years back (27" 2560x1440 @165Hz) and for my Christmas present to myself that year, split them apart and put the (at the time) king-of-the-hill 34" ASUS Ultrawide in between 'em. Initially was like, "Eh, not sure if I'm gonna stick with this...." until I fired up DooM (2016). The immersion literally SUCKED me into the 34" Ultrawide. Main display for gaming right now is a single monitor - the 38" LG UltraGear Nano IPS 3840x1600 @ 144Hz (OC to 175Hz if desired), so hard to go back to anything after that immersive Ultrawide experience, totally agree. Even though there aren't nearly as many super curved ultrawides now as there once was when it was first a big deal. And while I'll admit...that new 48" OLED they're going to drop on us soon is very, very appealing, I've got my eyes set on the one in the middle...the 32" 4K Nano IPS @ 144Hz (160Hz OC) as the perfect "sweet spot" when it comes to 4K and gaming.

That, and I just bought a new LG 65" OLED + 8K capable Dolby Atmos / DTS:X receiver two weeks ago for the living room and finally got around to finishing the setup last night to give it a proper breaking in. In. Love. But don't currently have either a PS5 or Xbox Series X to see what 120Hz @ 4K looks and feels like, so I think that one day this week, I'll move my gaming rig out into the living room for a bit to connect its RTX 3090 up to the new LG OLED and see what all the fuss is really about :)

Undying likes this.
  18. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    Discussion was about Samsungs new OLED monitor. When I see Q-OLED my thought process is Samsungs new QD-OLED panel and not QLED.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    perpetuating myths eh?

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  20. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    My thoughts so...
    Right now I am rocking 48"C1 since Black Friday, so more than half year, as monitor(primary, secondary is my benq Z2456xl).
    And as at beginning there was a little problem with adjustment(brain, eyes) now I find it normal to use. HDR/SDR alike. I prefer HDR thou.
    Screen is around 1 meter from me.
    I am 45. Gaming since 19y.o. So first screen was CRT 85Hz, then trinitron 100Hz, then shitty FHD lcd 60Hz.

Had always glasses(like from teens time). Shortvision. I did not noticed any sight degradation from using C1 OLED, damn, phone is tiring my eyes more.
    Currently I am waiting for my order fulfillment, Dell QD-OLED, is due 05 sep 22...and C1 will go to bedroom then.
    4k is just too much now for my GPU(or even future GPU), glad there are some optimized games, and FSR/RSR