LG Cinema 3D questions

Discussion in '3D Stereo and VR Gaming Section' started by georaldc, Dec 21, 2012.

1. georaldc

georaldc Guest

GPU:
    MSI 6970
    How good is Cinema 3D for gaming? We might be buying a new TV this weekend (just as a cheap replacement for an old, broken tv at home) and came across this for a good price:

http://www.lg.com/in/tvs/lg-32LM3410-3d-tv

Other than trying out nvidia's 3d vision tech via red/cyan glasses, I have almost 0 experience when it comes to 3d gaming. I plan on hooking up my ps3/360 to the tv as well so I wonder how well 3d content from them will look like.

2. Sinean

Sinean Active Member

GPU:
    xfx 7900 xt
    Threw my friends ps3 on my vizio 3d tv passive. Works great, limited to 720p though. You maybe able to do 1080 maybe if it will take checkered/interlaced. My passive tv doesn't accept those outputs.

3. Techio

Techio Guest

GPU:
    XFX Fury 4096SP Unlocked
    I've heard that it's a hit and miss. I'm pretty sure it uses TriDef 3D which IMO, isn't great. Good, but not spectacular. I have the Samsung SA950 23inch monitor that comes with 3D TriDef, it was already annoying to setup as it came only with game launchers, no 3D settings of sort. I'll have to give a second try since I did this a few months ago and didn't bother doing it again. I'll update you on the gaming experience. :)

AMD HD3D I haven't tried since I don't have a AMD card. :p

4. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    I had the LG2342 TriDef monitor and I found it decent enough, but you have got to install the LG software package that enables S3D gaming.....I found this to be somewhat of a hassle. Sold the monitor to my bro, and took out old trusty, Zalman ZM-240W TriMon S3D monitor (I already had the Zalman, but wanted to give LG's Cinema3D monitor a shot). The thing about the Zalman is this, S3D setup is easy as pie because it is supported in nV control panel. I use this monitor for S3D gaming wiht 2x GTX670 in SLi mode, AWESOME! Isaac Clark from Dead Space series, especially DS2, almost popped out of the screen, I kid you not! This monitor was reviewed and well rated by Hilbert, one of the reasons why I'd gotten it.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    First of all, this is not PC monitor. There will be at least 2 frame lag. = 33+ ms.
    Most of LG TVs have much higher, which is unfortunate.

32lw570/650 series had lag about 120ms and in gaming mode it was 80ms after a year on market.

There are models which has very low input lag. Unfortunately those are usually TVs with only few features and advanced technologies used. It's kind of logical because no post processing = no additional lag. And on high class TVs not all of those features could be turned off.

Since I had TVs mentioned above and they were not good at all for gaming I spend a lot of time going through reviews, tests on practically all available modern and passive 3D TVs.

My current winner is: Panasonic ET5 series (ET50/ET5B/ET5E - region based) a.k.a. TX-L42ET5B
    I do not own it yet, since I hope OLEDs which has image quality and response superior to plasma will drop at price early 2013.

It has pretty good image quality. In ghosting test it was superb and lag in gaming mode with all image processing off was below 34ms = 2frame lag.
    This is acceptable for all modern FPS. Not for old HC games like CS1.6 but I would not play that on 3DTV since for that I have 120Hz LCD.

Since you may plan to use it as primary PC display be really sure input lag is as low as possible. Because there is nothing more frustrating than moving mouse and waiting 100+ms for it to move on screen.

As for software used for 3D games, do not think built-in conversion in TV is any good. It can't be it's based in 2D image analysis.
    iZ3D was best for me since it has pretty good custom mode. (not in development over a year)
    3Def is better for some titles and still getting improvements.

Since it's not anymore possible to buy iZ3D I mention that trial can be reset if you do small investigation on what application does while running 1st time in each output mode.

As for movies TV selection does not matter that much since ghosting even on oldest passives is smaller than on active and even there it's not that bad due to lower contrast on edges in movies.
    For them I recommend Cyberlink PowerDVD 11&higher for advanced image processing features. But with both iZ3D / 3Def you get basic player which is mostly sufficient.

6. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    If you have a Nvidia card here is what you do. Open the NV control panel and click "set up stereoscopic 3D". From there you will see a link called "NVIDIA 3DTV PLAY". Click that link and you will be sent to a page that has the software needed to play games in 3D on your 3DTV. You will also be able to see pictures online or even pictures you have snapped yourself in 3D. You will be able to use the 3D glasses that came with the T.V. which is the best choice. Red/Cyan is horrible! Anyways, I have a 3DTV and this is how im doing it. There is a free trial and later you will need to buy it. No need to buy all that expensive Nvidia 3D Vision hardware. I just noticed you have a AMD card. Ive tried that route and its horrible. It's one of the reasons for me getting a Geforce card. If you end up getting one then follow my instructions. As for the PS3 you have everything you need. Hook it up go into the settings and setup the 3D. Grab the 3D glasses that came with the TV and game on. Good luck.