LF Advice on new H20 rig.

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by SourDiesel, Sep 18, 2007.

1. SourDiesel

SourDiesel Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800gtx @ 660/1100
    I currently have my c2d on a tuniq120 and have my 8800gtx on stock air. I'm looking to build a solid water cooling setup that cools both my cpu and gpu. I was thinking like 1/2" tubing, DD D-5 pump, Apogee GTX block, DD 8800 block, BI Xtreme3 X-flow rad, a 5 1/4" bay reservoir. If you have any suggestions for good parts or something i should alter let me know. My price range is $200-$300 i'd say.

2. axis01

axis01 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS G92
    The DD 8800 block is very nice but if you get it, you've just spent over 1/3 of your budget for the entire build. Add in the pump and you're left with under $100. That list is nice but I think you better rethink your list or save up some more $$. If you want top end parts, you're gonna have opt for the latter suggestion.

Axis

3. SourDiesel

SourDiesel Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800gtx @ 660/1100
    Well all those parts total to like 330ish which isn't the end of the world. Just threw the $200-300 out there so you don't get the idea that i'm looking for completely flagship parts.

4. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    i would go with a ek 8800gtx block.you can usually get them for around $110(check out jab-tech).where as the dd block is closer to $130 usually(way overpriced imho).if you can swing it i would opt for a thermochill pa 120.2/3,they are THE best rads you can get.even a 120.2 will outperform 99% of the triple 120 rads out there.youll need a very good rad to outperform your tuniq and keep up with your gtx.another thing to keep in mind is that most bay reservoirs arent built very well and tend to crack over time.
    good luck!

5. SourDiesel

SourDiesel Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800gtx @ 660/1100
    I rly would love a pa 120.3 as i've heard that they're pretty much the way to go but they are spendy. I'll look into getting one as i do want to see a noticeable difference from my tuniq120 when i'm done. Any suggestions for alternates to a bay reservoir?

6. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    theres always the t line option but a solid reservoir is tough to find.swiftech and alphacool make some solid choices.if your looking for something to save space i would look at swiftechs bay res.

7. SourDiesel

SourDiesel Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800gtx @ 660/1100
    If i ended up not adding my 8800 to the loop and cooled just the cpu, how could i back down on parts but still have a very solid setup?

8. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    actually if you just drop the 8800 block that will knock a significant amount off the total.i would still go with the cpu block and pump and maybe go with a 120x2 rad rather than a 120x3.that would leave you with a easily upgraded loop that should keep your cpu very cool.

9. SourDiesel

SourDiesel Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800gtx @ 660/1100
    So if i went like a MCP655 or equiv pump, pa 120.2 and apogee gtx, that wouldn't be overkill or anything? also, what kind of fans should i get if i went with the pa 120.2/120.3? like would a couple 140 CFMs do the trick? I know there are some 200+CFM beasts out there that could cut your finger off but i would think that wouldn't be necessary. And one more quick question, fans sucking vs blowing through the rad: is the difference comparable and should i mount accordingly?

10. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    personally i look at wcing like this.if you are going to do it,get the best you can afford or inevitably YOU WILL end up regretting it.for example my first custom loop is essentially gone.by gone i mean i have upgraded the entire loop.hindsight being what it is i wish i had gone ahead and just saved up enough to get what i have now rather than waste a couple hundred on the original loop.so no i think going with those components is a very good choice.
    as for fans you could go with high cfm fans but tbh the pa wont need it.it will perform just as well with low cfm yate loons(40-45cfm).high cfm fans will likely only give you a degree or two better cooling at the cost of alot of noise.
    either push or pull will be fine.there isnt any noticable gain with either.tbh theres no real impact from running fans on both sides in a push/pull either.
    good luck,the loop looks fine so far :D

11. SourDiesel

SourDiesel Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800gtx @ 660/1100
    What should i do for coolant additives? PT Nuke or something to prevent algae? i'm also gonna be throwing in a uv dye. Also, should i be concerned w/ getting a shroud for the pa120.2? My rad will be outside of my case while the fans will be on the inside, so would a shroud even make a difference since i'm not directly attaching the fans to the rad?

12. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    pt nuke is a solid choice.a shroud really doesnt do much tbh,inside or outside of the case.it does help in keeping your rad a little more protected but i wouldnt worry about it.
    enjoy the new loop!your going to really like your temps with those components.

13. SourDiesel

SourDiesel Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800gtx @ 660/1100
    K. Well i think i have all the parts i want in line. Just need to go ahead on the order. I'm hoping to do this soon but not sure exactly when. Either way, i'll post pics when i finish. Thanks for all the help =)

14. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
  15. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Also there is a cheaper possibility still for GPU cooling:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2067/ex-blc-285/Swiftech_MCW60_VGA_Water_Block_.html?tl=g30c87s585
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5...ET_Heatsinks_Set_MC14_MC21.html?tl=g30c87s585

The other advantage is there is a very good chance you can reuse both on another uppgrade, the block only requiring a $10 mounting conversion kit. Last time I heard ramsinks were no real impediment to overclocking either. The rather pain-in-the-ass disadvantage is getting the heatsinks on. You may have to remove the thermal tapee and use thermal expoxy, either straight (no reuse with that route of course) or mixed with normal AS to weaken the bond to non-ridiculous levels. You might also have to shorten the ramsinks directly under the tubing.

IMO CPU heatsinks are quite good now and GPU cooling is where you will see the real impressive drops, as GPU cooling has major space limitations.... though you can certainly wait until later.

Maxfly: Shouldn't he go for the DDC+ pump?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007

16. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    the ddc+ is my personal preference tbh but with a 1/2in loop you would have the added cost of a petras/alphacool top.so for the sake of keeping the cost a little better and still maintaining a high level of performance,the d5/655 fits the budget a little better.

17. SourDiesel

SourDiesel Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800gtx @ 660/1100
    What would be good screws to prop the pa120.2 to the back of my case over the back outlets. I'm getting an Aurora 3D 570. I was thinking of just running screws through the fans on the inside through the case to the rad. What size and what thread screw should I get for that and am I at any risk of piercing the radiator doing it that way?

18. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Ah, true. I saw that it was in the 3/8" pump section at frozencpu, too bad they are not G1/4.

19. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    I forget the screw types but yeah that should be possible. I took the screws that came with my radiator to the hardware store and managed to match them with a longer variety. I think they come in 1/4" increments. Long thin bolts could work too.

Actually, this just came up:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=2434214

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  20. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    ^^^thats your best bet.the hardware store should have a plate to find the specific size for you.then just measure how long you need to go with them and try to match it up.