Lexar hits 7 GB/s with new M.2 PCIe 4.0 SDD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The read and write speed of SSDs are exceeding far beyond what we need in real life. Recently you've already seen M.2 SSDs perform at the 4GB/s and 5GB/s marker, well, no you may add to that Lexar, w...

Lexar hits 7 GB/s with new M.2 PCIe 4.0 SDD

2. wavetrex

wavetrex Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
  3. nizzen

nizzen Master Guru

GPU:
    3x2080ti/5700x/1060
    Only 54MB/s @ 4k random read @ QD=1.

Even the old samsung 950pro is faster

4. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX560 8GB

5. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    STRIX GTX 1080
    I am not asking to be a smart alack, but in the article you say the speed is faster than what we need in real life. What speed do we need?

6. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    Was coming here to say the same thing. If they could pull off even 100MB/s on 4KQ1T1 this would be a pretty cool advancement.

7. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    If you have ever used a 905P as an OS drive it is pretty obvious that we need to replace NAND with a new storage tech that has far lower latency.

If you were to have an OS drive with only 3000MB/s sequential read but 300MB/s 4KQ1T1 random read it would feel far faster than the drive in this article.

Mesab67 likes this.
  8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    A drive like this could be great for high-speed cameras. They need all the write speed they can get. Otherwise, not much else has a use for something like this.

9. maddog55

maddog55 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 G PLUS
    Been using a Samsung 960 Evo as a Win10 boot drive and that's fast enuff for moi !.

10. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    Thats a problem with all this PCIe 4.0 SSD hype. Everyone boasting about sequential speeds, but for most users those are already quite ample. They should work on improving random access at low QD.

11. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Let's see the bigger picture, the PCI-E 4.0 and those controllers are paving the way for future storage solutions and breakthroughs.
    Anyone remembers the first commercial SSD?
    Comparing the two, you see how things moved and how fast.
    In the next 5-10 years, who knows what will happen!

12. Mesab67

Mesab67 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    As others have noted, manufacturers badly need focus on getting significantly faster lower QD speeds - and at affordable prices.

13. Srsbsns

Srsbsns Member Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 Liquid
    Indeed that is bad. Maybe it will get better. My Sabrent Rocket Gen4 does 62MB

14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Although I don't disagree, more often than not, I've found the disk isn't much of a bottleneck when it comes to random reads. I'm still happy with SATAIII to store games because going faster hardly improves load times. Sure, you might see around a 10-15% improvement going from a good SATA drive to NVMe, but to me, the price difference isn't worth it.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    Exodite likes this.
  15. Dazz

Dazz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    It's a controller limitation of it's 1ms response time nothing to do with bandwidth which is why Intel Optane is faster even on PCIe 3.0x 2x and only 1GB/sec transfer speeds which has access to the memory in the micro seconds. For Intel platforms, but apparently there is a work around for AMD platforms but you need a 3rd Party application so you can tier storage the Optane with a Normal SSD

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the 3rd party application is FREE on amd platforms btw.

17. pegasus1

pegasus1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    Moving my games from an SSD to Gen 4 NVMe has seen data heavy games launch way way quicker. The DCS flight Sim both loads and gets into game significantly quicker, that game has a ton of data to load and on SSD it wouldnt be uncommon for a mission to take up to 60 seconds from mission launch to being in the cockpit, on my Gen 4 drive its never more that 20 seconds like for like missions.

18. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    STRIX GTX 1080
    So what is the percentage of need vs want? What I mean is sequential read/write speeds have advanced to screaming fast levels, but the 4kq random read/write speeds have lagged behind in speed increase. But what is the difference in need for sequential r/w speeds vs 4kq random 50/50, 75/25, 80/20? Need is always the driving force for advancement in technology. So how badly do we need faster 4kq?

19. pegasus1

pegasus1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    From who's perspective? nobody needs the latest iPhone but clever marketing/peer pressure lead to one becoming a must have. Consumer 'want' turns into industry 'need'.

20. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    I want a 32 GB/s drive, but that won’t be until PCI-Express 6.0.

I don’t actually need it though.