Lets tallk.....BODY SCANNERS

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by cartdog, Nov 17, 2010.

?

Scanners, do we need them

Poll closed Dec 17, 2010.
  1. Yes

41 vote(s)
    36.3%
  2. No

54 vote(s)
    47.8%
  3. Dont care, im a hermet and never travel

22 vote(s)
    19.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

Agreed. It's about as effective as the "War on drugs"....

All about fear and political leverage.

2. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Stop crying bitches it makes the line wait longer.
    I used to bring my airline girlfriend food and stuff walking right pass any entrance to the jet ways.I was upset how easy it was to get on to the runways or in workers station rooms.
    REALLY EASY traveling since it was so easy to get on the plane.
    (^pre 911)
    Lack of security has caused this in the first place,so heres a tissue.
    I'V seen the Argenbright Security girls and guys too busy taking one in every whole,drinking,drugging or stealing to be doing there jobs.
    So save it.
    The only thing that kept them in line was port authority cops.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  3. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I had trouble understanding all that, it must have been the Jersey accent I was imagining while reading it.

4. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG StriX RX480, 8GB
    I am dead against this idea. This is a full body x-ray, that exposes you to full radiation, supposedly without any vest or anything for you to wear. If one travels a lot, and they think this wont cause permanent damage to the internal organs and tissue over time, they're a dumbarse.

Im going to opt for the pat down. I don't care if they do an entire pat down to make sure im not carrying a hand cannon or explosive material, and if something needs to be done, id rather it be that than being radiated! :)

5. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    what you mean? you? not understand that?
    you always comment how elaquintly i post and my writting skillz :)

All you have to do is get my first line of that post.

6. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    I don't think so champ. Not everything is as black and white as Bill-O would have you believe. Also the term liberalism actually means absolute individualism which is actually what conservatives believe in, that they have warped the meaning and now use it to describe a group with more collective social concerns doesn't doesn't make sense.

Patriot act brua, that was a republican move.

But don't bother explaiing yourself. I know how right wing hypocricy works, your 'side' limits your rights to 'protect you' and it's A-O.K but if the democrats try to introduce national health care so the middle and working class care aren't a world away from the rich as the class division created by said conservative indivisualism has caused, it is done to harm the people.

Meanwhile 1 trillion buried in the sands of Iraq is in the name of peace.

Yeah.

That about sums up hypocrisy.

7. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Not sure how it's possible to pin something like the patriot act on those nasty republicans when an almost perfectly split house and senate passed it damn near unanimously. It was a bad call, no doubt, but you're trying to rewrite history.

I do recall there being only one dissenting vote in the senate. And I believe the senate seats were split 50/50, republicans democrats, if I recall.

8. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    If you think there is some health issue regarding x-rays and frequent travelers, fine. I don't know enough about x-rays, but I am willing to give-in on this point.

However, I don't understand this idea that it is an invasion of privacy. People need to remember that they are about to get on an airplane. If something goes wrong, or someone does something crazy, you and everyone else on the plane could very well die. Worst-case scenario, something like 9-11 happens. Are some people really more concerned about someone else seeing an x-ray of their genitals? Honestly, do you really care about it that much?

If you do, I honestly feel very sad for you.

(I haven't read this thread in its entirety, so I have no idea if people here do think it is an invasion of privacy. I have heard people mention this elsewhere)

9. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    I'm about to be a dad (yay). Nurse warned me about possible hearing problems with baby if scanned too many times. Worrying...

10. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    My first thought was about it causing radiation issues... that is one thing that worries me

11. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Well personally I side with Ben Franklin. "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    This incremental loss of privacy and personal freedom is accelerating. IMO, if we continue on this path, the terrorists have won by fundamentally changing our way of life.

12. Seref

Seref Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 GHz Vapor-X
    People seem to be under this notion that everyone gonna get scanned. They don't make everyone walk through it, it's like the random scans and (most likely) profiling scans they do now.

If you do get chosen and you're afrain of the radiation, you can always get the pat down. it's not that damn bad, I had to get it done on a trip to Spain in their airport this last summer. It's over and done with in 2 seconds. It's not like the people slowly and gingerly caress your body as you stand there stiff on the wall.

A bunch of you are talking as though they specifically hire pervs and crazies to fondle you. That's just a sad way of thinking.

13. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    How is someone not seeing your genitals an "essential liberty"?

I agree with his quote too, I just don't see someone seeing me pseudo-nude as being that important. Pseudo in the sense that it is an x-ray image.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  14. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    *Massive anvil to face style facepalm*

Are you telling me that you don't think a right to privacy should be respected?

That is a fundamental principle of western society. If there was no problem with it then being naked in public would not be illegal.

15. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Not the same pat down.What you got last summer is completely meaningless. These pat downs are "enhanced." That's why its a big deal now.

They literally touch whatever sex organ you happen to have. Hands are run under and across breasts. Inner thighs, its kinda ****ed up.

16. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Perhaps you missed my point this is just another incremental step.

17. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    Are you telling me that regardless of the situation, a person's right to privacy should NEVER be violated? Do you think search warrants are wrong?

Just because something is illegal doesn't make it right/wrong. I am not saying people should be running around naked. I am saying that in a situation where other people's lives are at stake (flying in a plane), you should not be concerned about others seeing your genitals on an x-ray, provided that this leads to some greater good. I would argue it does lead to a greater good, and that greater good is being assured that everyone on the plane is safe from other passengers.

18. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Search warrants are issued when there is significant enough precedence for the persons arrest Eg: suspicions + previous offenses = cause for warrant.

A 'terrorist' attack 9 years ago + a few attempted things which were dealt with without the need for the scans does not equal a universal dismission of people's right to privacy.

19. Seref

Seref Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 GHz Vapor-X
    Okay, I'm cool with people saying that the War on Terror is a joke, but putting Terrorists in quotes in regards to 9/11... You're not one of those conspiracy nutjobs, are you?

20. cartdog

cartdog Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti H20
    Its cool everyones having a good "discussion" about all of this, im finding all the reading rather interesting. But please, keep political asperations and ideas of government take over to the low down, this thread isnt really about 9/11 in general or other terrorist attacks. Its cool to post comments on stuff, but not going on about this NWO stuff or government plans to take over the world...maybe create another thread for that aye?