Lets Talk about CAR technologies pls

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Mr.Bigtime, May 2, 2011.

1. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    I have questions my friends. iam confused and need enlightened. U know, Motor, engine, horse power, torque, RPM. i know of these things but some of them; i dont know what they exactly good for. Road grip?(lol) Acceleration? Power? or TOP SPEED?

Lets explain these following step by step as what they r for, what they do.

1- TORQUE = ? Acceleration? if its high car accelerates better? or the way Motor works better?
    2- Horse Power = ? Acceleration? pls tell.
    3- RPM= ?
    4- Turbo= ?
    5- MOTOR= ? yeah a 2.0 motor vs 3.0 = ? TOP SPEED matters?
    6- Those V4 , V6, V8= ? yeah?
    7- A Diesel 2.0 Motor vs Petrol 2.0 Motor(or how u call it u know normal Fuel)

Lets talk about these people...

and Y U US guys love to drive High motor non diesel cars? Petrol is cheap? i think yes but ...still why?

2. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    Diesel in here is cheaper than petron.

1. Torq, more power to keep car moving, less shift downs when you are going uphill.
    2. Horse power, more power to accelerate car.
    3. Rotations per minute. Doesnt really matter because it also depends how fast engine gains revs and at which area you need to shift, or where you have power. Diesel ones rev less than petroil ones.
    4. Good, "free power" :)
    5. Doesnt really matter that much, depends on where the power is (low, mid, high rpm's or "all around"), how fast it gains revs, torq, turbo or not, reliablity depends on other things too... You can take 1000hp from 1.6L Turbo engine (old F1 cars).
    6. You can put V-engine to smaller space, thats why those are used. In-line 8 would take a lot of space, V8 is about half of the length. Sounds are a bit different, power at a bit different area... Dont forget flat engines (Subaru, Porsche).
    7. Up to you. The one which is cheaper to run. Diesel tax, fuel prices and consumption.

EDIT: Hah, not much info in this post. "Up to you", "Dunno, lol, but I think it goes like this" :p

3. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    Torque = Pulling power, so yeah - more acceleration effectively.

An engine with 200Nm at 2000rpm will feel slower than one at 300Nm at 2000rpm, at full throttle for example.

Power = Rate at which work done - you can think of it as torque at a given rpm.

Something like a boat engine would have relatively low hp because it runs very slowly, while a motorbike engine doesn't have much torque but revs really fast, so hp is relatively high. It's also why diesel engines have lower power for their rated 0-60 time. Petrol engines might deliver peak power at 6000rpm - diesel might at 3000rpm, so the power figure is lower due to the lower rpm.

On non-turbo'd engines, torque is usually a factor of RPM. A turbo on a production car is used to deliver more torque for the engine size at a lower rpm (hence a diesel with 150hp feels a lot faster than a petrol engine with 150hp - the torque is delivered much earlier due to the turbo)

V6, V8 etc is the number of cylinders and the layout. V6 = 6 cylinders in a V-shape - two banks of three cylinders at maybe a 60 degree angle.

Inline 4 is four cylinders in a line, etc. A flat 4 like in a Subaru or a flat 6 in a Porsche is kind of like a V6 with a 180 degree angle between the two banks of cylinders.

I think the reason for US manufacturers building cars with big engines is mainly historical - in the US the trend seems to be for big engines with an automatic gearbox.

To pull a lot of metal you need a lot of torque, so a big engine that's happy at low revs is what's needed. I think that's why a lot of American cars get slated in Europe - the two markets are very different with different expectations.

Hence people slate a 2 tonne car with flabby suspension, a 5 litre V8 making 160hp and a slushy 3 speed automatic gearbox...because it sucks on our roads.

4. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    Thanx for the info guys!

So tell me which one!!!

1- BMW 3.20 Diesel with 184 HP and M Sport Pack(not BMW M 3) .

[​IMG]

2- BMW X1 2.0 Diesel with 177 HP and with Sport pack (not M, just wheel and seats r sport i guess)

[​IMG]

5. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    first of all: m sport is just about looks, that's it. if you don't especially want the badges and extra plastic, don't bother.
    if you really like driving, you will probably be more satisfied with the 320d than with the x1. If not especially, afaik, they are both pretty much the same ting I think.

6. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    320d all the way for me. Might be worth looking at the 320ed too?

7. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    I would go with the first option. 1- BMW 3.20 Diesel with 184 HP and M Sport Pack(not BMW M 3).

8. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870X2+4870 1GB on S T260
    if you are concerned with the quality of your country's roads, and bumpy stuff, plus holes, etc go for the x1

for anything else , the series 3 alll teh way ...............

9. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    Hmm..actually my bro is comparing...with 2 children...but He is going for 3.20D. ANyway i compare my honda crv with X1 and want to ask..

My crv has:

150 HP / 6200 RPM
    Torque 192 Nm / 4200 RPM

X1
    177 HP / 4000 RPM
    Torque 350 Nm / 1750 - 3000 RPM

which is better? X1 is diesel. my crv is not..

edit:

Tom: 3.20ED ? whats that? but anyway there r only 3.16 and 3.20 available in Turkey anyway. and D is good enough :)

Tat3, Yeah man.X1, everyone says that :/ poor vehicle.

ibitato, well roads r not bad but not perfect as autobahn either..they keep digging all around the city..mofos.

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  10. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    320d or ed if your boring Alfa 2.4jtd lump for the finer things in life (or V6 if fuel is cheap :D).

11. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    It is the Most expensive :D

12. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    Which is better? depends on a lot of things actually. A lot depends on what you like in a car. the power and torque of the x1 you give as example, is quite typical of a diesel engine.
    What those mean is that you get a lot of pull low down, which a lot of people seem to prefer nowadays. However, if you like pulling revs, I find diesels dissapointing, as in my experience you have to shift gear quite a lot to keep them in their range, while the petrols I have driven may not pull as hard under about 2000, but anything above that goes much better.

13. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    The X1 is probably a bit quicker, but like kwak says, you may have to change gear a bit more. It's not quite as simple as comparing torque and hp number either, as the gearing is a bit different.

The engine speed of the diesel in 2nd may be the same as the petrol in 3rd, if that makes sense, so the engine needs more torque to deliver the same acceleration.

The 320ed is a version designed to be more efficient - it sits a bit lower and is slightly more aerodynamic. The differences are pretty small but allegedly help to save a couple of pennies :)

[​IMG]

14. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    don't all 3 series have the efficient dynamics stuff except for maybe the m3?

15. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Not sure, apparently a few tweaks but it supposedly has some sort of dampening with the engine mounts.

So you can lug about with the judder :D

16. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    A car is not all about the raw statistics, they don't actually tell much about the car.
    It's not like computer parts where something is better because it benchmarks better (usually true).
    A car is more, interior, exterior, looks, feel, suspension, steering, button layout, color there's an endless list of things to consider.
    Comparing cars' statistical charts may be wise if you intend to drive in a straight line for the rest of your life.
    But if you really want to know, you need to test the cars.
    Personally I'd take the sedan.

17. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    Hmm. guys i thank u. many great informative posts here..

and The BMW 3 they selling here is all EFFICIENT DYNAMIC..

and my CRV is automatic transmission as well as X1 too...

i just love how BMW cars handles and grips. i still miss my BMW 1.16i. it was a joy to drive for real.

Last year when i gone to my long trip which is like 1300 km driving whole day. BMW 1.16i was a joy ..i swear it was FUN..yeah small car but was fun.
    Months ago did same trip with my CRV..OMFG..such a pain..dont know why but such a PAIN. a big car, auto transmission, BMW 1.16i was not auto-transmission.

The thing is yeah comparing SUV vs a Sport car like BMW 1 isnt smart i know but sport steering wheel of BMWs is amazing.

CRV really tired me in "S" like roads u know..and there is ALOT on my way .
    I bought CRV for its BIG cabin and somehow off road capabilities..and yes its OFF ROAD function is good to me i use it for my job but not often.

Anyway while my bro is trying to decide on BMW 3.20 vs X1 , i was impressed with both vehicles. test drove 3.20 but didnt x1..damn..wonder how it handles..

18. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    No offence but don't you need to go to driving school in Turkey?
    You should know all this, what all those things mean.

19. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    i took my license from butcher. at 20 euros.

20. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    I didn't learn all that in driving school, they just teach you how to drive safely, not how cars work.