Let the smoke out...

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Jacastto, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Jacastto

Jacastto Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 9600 GT 512mb
    Hi Guys,

Been a long time since I posted here. Hope this is the right place to be posting.

I recently brought an upgrade for my PC, including a Gigabyte H81M-S2H, Intel i5 4460 and an 8Gb G.Skill 1600mhz RAM stick.

I had it all ready to go, CPU, RAM and my Palit GTX 750 plugged in, and as soon as I plugged my PSU (Corsair VX550w, about 4 years old) into the mobo, it started smoking. I hadn't even pressed the power button yet...

Is this a faulty motherboard? Was my PSU incompatible somehow? Or could there have been something else I messed up? This was my first time installing a new motherboard.

Other relevant parts: dvd burner, Kingston 120gb SSD, WD 750gb 7200rpm HDD.

Any thoughts? Thanks

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    What started smoking, the PSU or the motherboard?

If it was the PSU, it's most definitely likely to be faulty. Wouldn't it be older than 4 years?

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Disconnect PSU from motherboard, pull it out of case and plug in - if it starts to smoke then it is damaged definitely.

4. Jacastto

Jacastto Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 9600 GT 512mb
    it was definitely the motherboard smoking. couldnt tell which part of the motherboard though.

Ive done the paperclip test on the psu and it still works. i just find it strange that it smoked before I even tried to turn it on.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Nothing strange here. If PSU is plugged in then motherboard is powered. Probably there is short-circuit in your motherboard.

6. Jacastto

Jacastto Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 9600 GT 512mb
    Hmm ok. In that case was it a faulty motherboard (such that I can claim warranty)? Or did I mess up something in the wiring or compatibility? I am pretty sure I got those things right, but maybe there's a common rookie mistake I missed?

Thanks again, just don't want to try and claim warranty unjustly.

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Let them decide. Either they will find your fault or they won`t. It is impossible to answer such question remotely.