Lenovo IdeaPad FLEX-14API Audio Out of Sync - Streaming

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by K.S., Feb 28, 2020.

1. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC
    Problem: ​

During Streaming Audio falls out of sync with video irregardless of Web-Browser (Amazon Prime, Netflix, Disney+, Apple, HBOGo, YoutubeTV are the ones I've tested so far)
    Notes
    • Clean install of Windows 10 Home
    • No third party Antivirus installed
    • All stock OEM drivers downloaded & installed from here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/...1ss/81ss0000us/mp1phvfp/downloads/driver-list
    • No additional third party software installed
    • Microsoft Windows 10 default setup settings applied
    • No Browser extensions installed
    • Default BIOS settings
    • Latest BIOS installed (AGCN25WW - V1.08) release date 05 Dec 2019
    • Issue persists on stock copy of Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer
    • Issue persists on Mozilla Firefox, Vivaldi, and the newly release Chromium Microsoft Edge browser
    • Issue persists approximately 15 minutes or so into streaming a video on any one of the aforementioned services above despite all of the aforementioned troubleshooting steps

Please advise for next steps; at this point all attempts to resolve have proved fruitless and returning the laptop is looking to be the only option.

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Hmm, the audio driver is from December 2019.
    I would boot a live Linux USB and try open the above mentioned streaming services.
    If the device presents same issue even there, it's more of a hardware problem or firmware/BIOS.
    Back to Windows.
    Second, just for the heck of it, I would try to update the drivers with 3rd party software, like driver booster or Driver Easy. Test again.

More, is the device connected via WiFi?
    If so, uncheck the power saving option of the wireless card and choose the overall power plan of the laptop of 100% performance.
    See if it solves the issue.

3. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC
    Hi & thanks for the help!

To add more info the issue persists on the onboard Synaptics Audio & AMD HDMI audio. I tried disabling all methods of Lenovo builtin power management including the Lenovo Laptop Intelligent Thermal service to no avail. Wifi and or a USB-C ethernet adapter also produce the same result.

I had tried using Driver Booster in tandem with AMD’s latest GPU/chipset drivers to no avail. I didn’t think of isolating Windows using a Linux Live-CD - thank you for that suggestion, that will be my next step...

anticupidon likes this.
  4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    That's the first step I take, isolate the issue OS wise. Saves a LOT of time and it's free.
    Then go through each step of diagnostic, software/hardware related.

K.S. likes this.

5. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC
    Tested the Laptop on the current LTS distro of Lubuntu & the issue doesn’t occur anymore. While this is good; I’m not sure how to resolve it on the unit’s native OS, by default Lenovo power management is disabled in Linux for this unit.

Thinking this may be an issue isolated to the Lenovo platform. Haven’t had this issue in Windows with the Huawei Matebook D Ryzen 5 2500U, Dell Inspiron 13 4000 Ryzen 5 2500U, HP Envy 13” X360 Ryzen 5 2500U nor the HP Envy 13” X360 Ryzen 7 3700U. Thinking of returning this ... sounds like a driver/BIOS/ACPI management issue overlooked by Lenovo with Windows...

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Meanwhile just fill a support ticket with all details, will help eventually the dev team fixing the issue.
    But if you can return the unit, do it while you can.
    Yeah, not baffled anymore of anything driver related when it comes to Windows.

Try this.
    Download Windows LTSC and install it on a spare disk (if you have this possibility).
    Then, update the OS and run again same streaming services.
    DO NOT install anything from Lenovo, just the bare metal necessities. Block Windows update to NOT download or update your devices.
    Try this and maybe something can be different.
    If not, well, you have your options.
    GL,
    Cheers!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    K.S. likes this.
  7. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC
    Still no joy - well I opened an Eticket with Lenovo and cited our thread and notes so .. guess will see if it gets escalated to their Engineering/Software Dev group to iso... honestly kind of strange that this hasn't popped up around Google or the forums on there so I'm guessing it's with the recent BIOS update that it probably started occurring... else I'd imagine it'd have garnered more attention.

8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Sometimes, using Twitter and other social media to contact the manufacturer could give you a proper "foot in the door".
    Not exactly a science, but you're more likely to get an answer quickly.
    Doesn't cost anything, just adds to your efforts to get your device fixed.

K.S. likes this.
  9. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC
    I feel like I’m going to turn into the resident “you need to put that on Twitter man” person here hehe - I always get weird ones... think the other one was discovering ASUS EOL’ing the X370 boards or something ... anywho. Not that it mattered - I ended up with ASRock far as that was concerned and am very happy