lenovo 470p / 7690m drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by metsfan81, May 20, 2012.

1. metsfan81

metsfan81 Guest

GPU:
    7690m
    Hi guys,

Just purchased this pc this week and have been having issues with the video drivers. The laptop has switchable graphics (7690M/Intel integrated) and the drivers provided on the Lenovo site are extremely old (despite their upload date of April 6th - driver number for ATi is really out of date).

As ive been having issues with the drivers crashing with Battlefield 3, ive tried to look for a solution. I've tried 2 versions of Leshcat's drivers (12.2 UP5, and the 12.4's) and followed his steps exactly (wipe factory drivers, and install his kit over top). Problem is, is that trying to install Leshcat's on a clean install leads (I believe) the system to not recoginize the ATi card, and therefore doesnt give me the option to install the driver (only the CCC). I've also tried installing the 12.4 WHQD overtop with no success. I see as well that the 7690M is essentially an overclocked 6750M..

So is there anyway to install this driver manually? Is it possible to install the 6750m drivers and then install that driver manually through Device manager? To be honest, I could care less about the Intel drivers so if I cant get them working its not a big deal as I plan on leaving ATi active all of the time (I also checked, there is no option in the BIOS to force integrated only - and bios is up to date)

Any ideas would be really appreciated

2. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    an idea is to install leschat overtop the existing lenovo ones, but that might be risky

i also wonder... what if you disable intel in device manager & restart

3. popeye

popeye Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 730M
    What kind of BIOS settings do you have for graphics? I posted a response to similar problem on leshcat's site. Don't know if it was you. My BIOS settings:

Advanced -> Video Configuration -> Pci Express Graphic -> Always Enable PEG [Enabled]

Advanced -> Video Configuration -> Pci Express Graphic -> PowerXpress Setting [Muxed Fixed Scheme]

You may need an unlocked BIOS to fix your problem. That's what made my system work right. The manufacturers are hiding critical settings in BIOS.

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  4. metsfan81

metsfan81 Guest

GPU:
    7690m
    Hi Popeye,

Just checked - under Configuration, it gives me the options under 'Graphic Device' either 'Switchable' (which is selected and turned on by default) or 'UMA Graphic' (which I believe is onboard video only...I think)

Hi kn00tcn,

I actually did try (if I remember) install the Leshcats overtop as well, and it didnt pick up that there was any change (didnt work)...

Would disabling the Intel in Control Panel be an option? Would be great if I could do that, wipe the drivers and just use the standard 6750m drivers (as ATi I dont believe release drivers for the 7xxx series)...Just would like to know if its reasonable before I try as I've gone through 3 reformatts after screwing stuff up over the last few days and want to try to avoid another should i mess up

thanks again!

5. popeye

popeye Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 730M
    Yea, that is basically what my OEM bios had. They are hiding options. What BIOS do you have, Insyde?

Your going to have to go here and lobby hard for Camiloml to unlock your BIOS. Only thing that is really going to fix it and make your laptop work the way you want it to. Sorry. :(

http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/

6. metsfan81

metsfan81 Guest

GPU:
    7690m
    Hi Popeye,

I think this solution may be a bit more extreme than im willing to go..dont really want to attempt modding the bios and potentially bricking the machine...

7. popeye

popeye Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 730M
    Up to you but it fixed mine and there are recovery procedures even for bricked BIOS. The guy I mentioned is VERY good. Just letting you know the option is there.
    You are never going to be able to select between GPU's discretely with that locked BIOS. I've been there and know.
    Best wishes.

BTW: I had my new laptop for a couple months the end of last year and was very frustrated with the graphics. Found the modded BIOS, installed it and now very, very happy with it. Not telling you what to do just saying sometimes a person has to take a risk in life to get the payoff.