Legacy driver and vertex shader failing to compile

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by vejn, Sep 7, 2015.

1. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    Legacy driver 13.1 and vertex shader failing to compile

Hi, I'm getting error when using Krita drawing software on AMD mobility 4570 with legacy driver 13.1.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13451287/kritabug1.PNG
    with the message :
    Krita could not initialize the OpenGL canvas:
    Display vertex shader Vertex shader failed to compile with the following errors:
    ERROR: 0:? : error(#183) INTERNAL ERROR finding symbol gl_TexCoord
    ERROR: 2:15: error(#143) Undeclared identifier gl_Position WARNING: 2:15: warning(#402) Implicit truncation of vector from size 4 to size 1.
    ERROR: error(#273) 2 compilation errors.
    No code generated Krita will disable OpenGL and close now.

I have Win 8.1. I've conntacted Krita developers but they said it's an driver issue.
    https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=352378#add_comment
    So, what to do now ?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  2. prazola

prazola Member Guru

GPU:
    R9390XSOC / R9290DCU2OC
    Install a kde based linux distro with open radeon drivers. I have your same card on my notebook and it work flawlessly.

3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Try using the open drivers, they are awesome.

4. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    Where are open drivers ?
    Are there for Win 8.1 too ?

I pretty much don't understand this sentence.

5. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    We were both stupid I guess. You are using Krita under Windows, and I read your initial post fast and I thought you were using it under Linux. Under Linux it will most likely work immediately by using the open source drivers provided. You can check it out by yourself by testing a live CD/USB of Linux Mint or Ubuntu. You don't have to install something and the drivers will be already installed once the system boots from the live CD/USB. Then you can open the "Software" utility on either of them and install Krita and test it. I don't believe I would have any solution for you under Windows.

6. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    I have Win 8.1
    So basically I need to install new OS ?
    I have HDD partition on C,D,E. Can I install OS on C, but that D and E stay with data?
    I saw there are quite a few to choose. https://community.kde.org/Distributions
    Which one?

Mobility 4570
    Core duo 2.1 Ghz

7. prazola

prazola Member Guru

GPU:
    R9390XSOC / R9290DCU2OC
    I think you should go for kubuntu.
    Then you can install plasma 5 for the best "K" experience. Which partition to use is not a problem.

8. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    OK, I'll try. But, I was asking if I would install OS on C, could I looose existing data on D and E?

Which are you using ?

9. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    This is a bit complicated actually. You don't seem to be very knowledgeable, and you might lose data. Kubuntu/Mint probably have the best installer for you. Try to figure out your internal disks/partitions, and then proceed with the installation. Read carefully in every step, and look on the internet for terms you don't get. You should be fine :)

10. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    So, use unetbootbin for putting Kubuntu iso on usb.
    Then restart notebook, and boot from usb.
    Are there similar options like in Win8 to format drive C and install new Kubuntu OS on C without loosing data on D and E?

Btw, if theese open radeon drivers are that good, why are they not released on Windows ?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015

11. prazola

prazola Member Guru

GPU:
    R9390XSOC / R9290DCU2OC
    Unetbootin or rufus are good.
    Booting from usb you will face a live demo of the OS with a shortcut for installation on desktop.
    Click it and the installer will start, then you must set some easy settings (all graphical) and customize your disk partition for the install.
    An 20-30GB ext4 partition should be fine. (remember that you can have only 4 primary partition if your disk is partitioned in MBR mode)
    Mount point must be "/".

They're written for *nix kernels driver stack, maybe developers will port them on windows in the future, right now there's only a few ports for wince/embedded.

If you need more info you should ask in the linux section.