LED or Plasma,thats the question...

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Mozaik, Mar 5, 2012.

1. slickric21

slickric21 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    My general opinion is i prefer Backlit LED screens to Plamas.
    I prefer the sharpness of LCD's over the smoothness of Plasmas, my electicity bill also prefers LCD's (particulary LED lit ones)

Edge lit LED LCD's dont really give the same blacks or contrast as a proper Backlit one, but are thinner & cheaper.

Guess it depends on budget, but generally at the lower price range Plasma would be better as budget LED LCD's are generally the poorer Edgelit variety.

Higher end LED LCD's with backlit LED can give very very good quality now with awesome blacks / contrast.
    This would get my vote.

2. n1k

n1k Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX590
    What is this burn-in time with plasmas could someone give a little more info on that? Also I read somewhere plasmas produce a lot of noise (high-pitched?) is that true?

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Run in is around 100 to 200 hours.
    My plasma is silent, even after 3.5 years.

Check reviews if you want to know how a particular model fairs.
    Same with LCD TVs or anything you buy tbh.

4. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    While Plasma may have great refresh rates, the fact is that it consumes a lot of power and the fact that it has the "screen door effect" whereby the pixels are rather large and what you're viewing may look like a screen door.

deltatux

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    They dont consume a lot of power unless you buy an older TV, see post #8.

I have never seen a screen door effect on my Plasma (42") or any of my friends plasmas, one has a 60" 1080p set, another has a 57" 720p set.
    It seems this effect doesnt occur until you get to larger sized Plasmas and you have to sit really close.
    Yet my friend with the 720p 57" - large pixel plasma has no screen door problems despite sitting within 2.5 metres of it.
    Not a problem for most consumers.

You were a bit convenient with the truth there ;)

6. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I see it on my 43" Samsung plasma TV I got, else I won't be saying that. I would have to be almost half way across my room to no longer see it.

deltatux

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Unfortunate.
    Maybe my friends and I are lucky not to have got Samsung Plasmas?
    Good info in the correct context.

8. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    The room that the TV is in isn't that big and I've noticed that it's only visible in 1080p mode, not really in 720p. Weird.

deltatux

9. Mozaik

Mozaik Banned

GPU:
    Giga gtx 470@800
    I went for the Panny plasma and got it yesterday,man I am blown away with the quality and the overall feeling for movie watching.Before I watched movies on a comp with a 27" screen and I am not planing to go back:)
    For movies thats the best thing right now,recommended all the way.
    Thanks for the discussion.

10. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Many 720p plasma TV are that resolution. In fact I have these plasma TV. Some people just don't give a crap about them for their auxiliary TVs so they tend to buy cheaper lower resolution screens for their auxiliary TVs and then buy the 1080p TVs for the main TVs.

Not everyone has enough money to go all out on all their TVs.

deltatux

11. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    Where I live we have between 3 ppl:
    2x Vivo PTV50HDA 50" Plasma TVs ($789 au each, 300w each, 720p)
    Both the 50" Plasma TV's have vivid colors, black blacks and look great with text, movies or games, but power consumption is rude to say the least.
    Even at 720p the image quality looks nice.

1x AWA MHDV4211-03 42" LCD TV ($398 au, 180w, 1080p) (bang for buck!!!)
    The 42" awa is the best image quality to my eyes, but blacks are not that black when using it in a dark room.
    Power consumption is not quite as rude as the plasma's but it's still to high.
    For me this TV has the best text clarity on screen at any distance and it's a pleasure to use after using any of the other TV's in the house.

1x LG 42LV3730 42" LED LCD TV. ($598 au, 110w, 1080p)
    The 42" LG Led is the worst quality image of them all, movies are fine, but text looks like crap from any distance. The TV has lots of options but none of them seem to improve the pixelated text and images, even playing with windows settings for hours on end didn't improve it much.
    Power consuimption is fair, but the image that's presented is inferior to the other TV's that are in the house.

What I say above is based as using the TV's as a monitor for PC.
    My opinion would be different if I was talking about using them as a TV with their built in tuners and native usb media playback.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    This topic looks to be quite subjective.

I've just got an LG passive 27" LED 3D TV and its lovely.
    In 2D, the image has a very very slight orange to green hugh 'sometimes' and can over saturate colours if the auto contrast etc settings are used, so they are best left off.
    Black isnt quite black, it has a faint blue tinge in a dark room but its pretty good.

After tweaking it, I can get it to look very like my 42" Panny plasma but the plasma exposes more detail on TV (feeding both from the same satellite receiver via HDMI) and has better colour balance throughout the colour range.
    The plasma looks more natural, especially with skin tones.
    (The TV tuner in the TV isnt up to much (quite low detail), it is sensitive to low signal strength which may be useful. fyi)

Have to say though this passive 3D display is simple fantastic for 3D.
    Skyrim is amazing, 3D Blu ray is just as good.
    Even 2D to 3D TV conversion looks great, I'm stunned at how good it is, very watchable.
    Hi def 3D tennis (side by side 3D recording) looks fantastic especially if you make the image come out of the screen.
    Gobsmacked I am, much better than expected.
    Best toy I've had in a while.

Oh yeah, it uses 41 to 42W in full power and 24W in lowest power mode.
    !

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  13. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    .... i'm assuming you mean passive 27" 3D "Monitor"? From what i can see, they don't make a 3D TV smaller than about 32".

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Nope, its the DM2780D 3D TV.
    I can tell its a TV cos it has a TV tuner, minor give away ;)

15. Mozaik

Mozaik Banned

GPU:
    Giga gtx 470@800
    I have played Diablo 3 with my bro on the 50" plasma that I got....fantastic.I also got a wireless mouse and keyboard from Miccrosoft to play from a sofa.
    It is hard to get back to game even on a 27" 2560X1440 :)
    It is like a next gen console came out hehe.

16. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Same here I bought the top of the line 50" 3d panny plasma myself and it's hard to watch or play anything on a different display anymore. My SXRD disgusts me now. Even my fw900 pales to the plasma and that was something I never thought would happen.

17. Cindy.K

Cindy.K New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1GB
    To tell the truth, I can't see the difference between a good plasma and a good LED TV. Maybe my eyes are jsut bad, but other people always seem to see a difference, but they all have different opinions on which one is better.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  18. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti
    I'm loving my new UE-40EH5000 LED tv from samsung. I had battleship running, best picture i've ever seen!
    It's even better then my parents 42inch LG screen wich costed twice as much lol.

This is why i choose samsung over other brands there simply the best if it comes to TV's.

When gaming without gaming mode on, and having HDMI cable not in HDMI/DVI still zero input-lag.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  19. slickric21

slickric21 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Got a Panasonic 50" GT50b Plasma to replace our main Sammy 46" D 6000 series LED.

Blows it away for everything in terms of PQ, but gives off heat and buzzes and uses more power.

Our 40" Samsung es6800 LED in the conservatory is not bad, but has clouding/screen uniformity issues.

Plasma winner for me.

20. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti
    I have not such issue with my TV. Not every led has clouding or motion blur problems.

Without a doubt i would have gotten an plasma if my budget was high enough but it wasnt sadly.