Leaving ATI - atikmdag: enough is enough

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by at0msk, Feb 24, 2009.

1. at0msk

at0msk Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic HD3870 512
    Well, it's because I was looking for suggestions related to NVIDIA cards...Lyla, who continues to post squashed theories for some reason, actually started the whole fanboi rant.

I got what I needed thanks to your suggestions! ;-)

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    ATI users post in the nV section...because nV users constantly post in the ATI section. I've lost count of the number of nV fanbois post in the ATI section claiming how nV is superior in every way. Have seen numerous cases where someone has posted in the ATI section, asking about a specific ATI card...and had some nV fanboi immediately trash their decision (or pending decision) to buy an ATI product. I previously had a 9600GT...when it showed signs of the GPU failing, I posted a thread asking about the HD4850. First several posts were from nV fanbois telling me how much better nV cards are. Simple fact, the actual product quality is not better. Product quality is the same for both manufacturers if you buy from a board partner (Sapphire, Visiontek, Diamond, EVGA, BFG, etc). If you buy from Asus or any of the other companies building for both "camps"....actual product quality should be questioned. My only good experience with nV products, was an FX5700LE....since it, I've had a 6200, 6800, 2x7600GS, 2x8600GT, and 9600GT. Had problems with screen corruption from the 6200, performance issues from the PCIe 7600GS; screen corruption, high temps, and SLI consistantly disabling itself with the 8600GT's. The 9600GT showed signs of a failing GPU.

As far as the problem being related to the driver. It's not. If it was in fact driver related as people keep claiming, the issue would be considerably more widespread than it is. Only way I can generate the same error is to overclock my card to 700/1105. The simple fact that my card has to be overclocked to generate the error, means it's directly related to hardware.

3. PR-0927

PR-0927 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+

You're obviously blind as hell and cannot read if you think I'm a fanboy. Did you actually take the time to read what I wrote? If not, STFU and don't critique what I said - I'm bashing fanboys myself - I hate 'em.

- PR-0927

4. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080ti GamX
    My ..."stopped responding and recovered" was fixed by correcting my chipset and mobo drivers.

5. Martys Web

Martys Web Don Santino Corleone

GPU:
    XFX 7600gt
    Iarwain and Lyla I think its time you 2 stop spaming this thread I seen enough from you 2 in this thread. Stop spaming and trying to dominate this thread or you will get a tempary section ban! That goes for anyone else to.

6. at0msk

at0msk Member Guru

GPU:
    There, fixed it for you.

7. Lyla

Lyla Banned

GPU:
    This. And whilst it is clear that this error is statistically more likely to spawn from the system, you should perhaps be more willing to accept help than keep crying "ATI suck its their drivers", which is clearly not the case, same for Nvidia. After all we were only posting to save YOU money.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Gtx260

9. at0msk

at0msk Member Guru

GPU:
    Spanks. :D

I may have fixed the driver issue. By setting HT frequency to Auto (from 4x) and increasing my CPU voltage to 1.5 then lowering my memory voltage from 2.8 to 2.75.

I have my card OC'd to 875/1227. I've been playing FEAR 2 full screen at 1920x1080 with everything maxed for hours and was able to switch to TF2 (windowed, maxed 4AA, 16AF) without a single crash. Crossing my fingers*.

I'm just not sure why ATI cannot write a good driver. :( It couldn't handle some voltage settings. My next card will still be an NVIDIA card just because that's what I want to do.

Lyla: \(x.x)/ :biggun:

10. Lyla

Lyla Banned

GPU:
    I guess that is your way of admitting I was right all the way along.

It is not driver, the GFX card has put more demands on your power supply/motherboard not allowing the rest of your components to be running as highly tuned as they once were.

This is not software. Software would not care what your hardware settings were with regards of voltage, and as I said all along, we are trying to present the real solution to you so you don't waste money. Because you may have faced the exact same problems with a new Nvidia card as it will put a similar load on your power supply/motherboard.

11. Lyla

Lyla Banned

GPU:
    Graphics drivers do not handle your CPU/RAM/motherboard voltage settings...think about it.

12. at0msk

at0msk Member Guru

GPU:
    It is still a problem with ATI's drivers.

13. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480 SC
    So when Nvidia cards do it, and don't kid yourself.. they do, is that also an ATi problem?

14. Lyla

Lyla Banned

GPU:
    How can it be a driver issue, when adjusting your CPU voltage etc. fixes it. I know of no part of a video card driver that goes like this...

if CPU voltage < 1.5 volts then CRASH.

don't be stubborn please.

15. Lyla

Lyla Banned

GPU:
    It is not even the card doing it, it is just windows reporting it crashed while in 3d mode. The crash most likely comes from motherboard/cpu/mem, and *can* come from GFX, but that is usually a sign of overclocking or poor power supply. But rarely is it a driver issue if it happens in a variety of 3d applications.

16. at0msk

at0msk Member Guru

GPU:
    Still a driver issue. Just happened again randomly.

Lyla, I don't understand why you're still trying. You've been proven wrong time and time again.

17. at0msk

at0msk Member Guru

GPU:
    It is the problem of both parties respectively. No one has to build their computer around what a graphics card likes. I'll be damned if I need to rebuild my system just to get a graphics driver to work without fail.

It's a driver issue through and through and that's that.

18. Terrorizor

Terrorizor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 SC
    as weird as this sounds,..

go into CCC and under preferences,. uncheck system tray menu,(while your at it put your gpu clocks back to default).restart and now try.

19. Lyla

Lyla Banned

GPU:
    The fact that stabilising your motherboard settings make a single difference, proves me right on this.

Drivers are not random, hardware on its limit is.(heat/voltage etc.)

20. at0msk

at0msk Member Guru

GPU:
    I've already done this. It doesn't matter either way.

Driver issue