League of Legends ; Clash of fate

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by CharlieSimon, Feb 27, 2009.

1. CharlieSimon

CharlieSimon Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Geforce GTX 970
    League of Legends is a competitive online game set in an imaginative world. Gamers take the role of a powerful Summoner, calling forth and controlling brave Champions in battle. League of Legends combines the best elements of session-based games with persistent elements of MMORPG's. Enter the Fields of Justice with your most trusted allies as you fight for your right to rule the world of Valoran. There is only one rule of law among those in the league: Winner rules all.

Game is developed by those who brought us the DOTA map to Warcraft 3.

Gameplay-Trailer
    http://www.leagueoflegends.com/pages/gameplay_trailer

2. Novacaine

Novacaine Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 780 3GB
    I was planning on starting a thread for this game, but seeing that somebody already has started one, I'll just go more in-depth.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  3. Novacaine

Novacaine Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 780 3GB
    The Guru3D League of Legends: Clash of Fates Thread

[​IMG]

What is League of Legends?

League of Legends: Clash of Fates is an upcoming DotA based game developed and published by Riot Games for Microsoft Windows. It was first announced on October 7, 2008 and scheduled to be released in October 27, 2009. The game has been in a closed beta since April 10, 2009.

A previous designer for the popular Warcraft III custom map, Defense of the Ancients: Allstars (DotA), Steve "Guinsoo" Feak, and a creator of the fansite which was previously the official support base for the map(www.dota-allstars.com), Steve “Pendragon” Mescon are involved with Riot Games in the making of League Of Legends: Clash of Fates. Guinsoo created DotA: Allstars, and he's responsible for over 70% of the current heroes in DotA. Pendragon, who is the Director of Community Relations for Riot Games, helped create the DotA: Allstars website along with its forums.

The game comes out October 27th 2009, and it will be free to play with premium payments for extras like immediate access to certain champions, custom skins, and premium runes.

My Impressions

As a side-note, I am in the closed beta for both Heroes of Newerth and League of Legends. I don't want to go in-depth comparing the two, but I will say one thing. Heroes of Newerth (HoN) is identical to DotA. That being said, here is what I think of League of Legends (LoL).

After playing a couple of games, a few things stood out to me. One of them were the graphics. I actually enjoyed the bright, colorful, cell-shaded art more than the polished 3D in HoN. The game also plays very different from DotA or HoN for that matter. There are no stats like strength, agility, or intellect. The game focuses on other stats like Ability Power, Attack Power, Critical Damage, etc. I also noticed that you take on a roll of a summoner who then uses a champion. It sounds complicated, but it's not at all.

Basically, with each game you play, you earn experience points OUTSIDE of the game to level up as a summoner and spend points in what is pretty much a talent tree and add more runes to your runepage, which is a small addon that grants a small bonus to stats.

All in all, I found League of Legends a lot easier to pickup than DotA, not because I have played DotA before but because of its simplicity and built-in tutorial mode. After played the tutorial and a couple of games it's easy even for a beginner to get the hang of the game.

Screenshots

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Useful Links

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/ - the official website
    http://www.lol-europe.com/ - the official European website
    http://www.gamespot.com/event/codes/league-of-legends-beta/ - beta key giveaway for US
    http://www.curse.com/keys/legends-eu-premium/default.aspx - beta giveaway for EU
    http://www.riotgames.com/ - developer's website

If the gamespot giveaway has ended by the time you see this, PM me, and I can send you a beta invite. If you're already playing in the closed beta, hit me up in-game. My summoner name is cokey.

4. DannyBoy27

DannyBoy27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX480
    I don't really know about LoL. I do like the way you gain xp to level up your rune table etc but the graphics and animation styles for me are the major put off. It just looks already dated and very child like in art style etc. Just doesnt appeal to me at all. But each to their own.

If people are looking for another DOTA then HoN is the obvious choice as its the DOTA clone. But if they are looking for similar gameplay with a different approach then LoL it is.

Personally i believe that HoN is going to do very well and be around for a while. Most of my mates who have been playing War3 DOTA for years in professional clans and guilds etc have made the switch to HoN ( albeit, reluctantly for some :p ). If you think about the logic... Its basically a newer version of an amazing game that already has a HUGE and ESTABLISHED fanbase. The beta is stable and for the most part balanced with new content, items, heroes and fixes/tweaks/balances being updated frequently.

LoL will really have to work hard to earn its keep in the market, especially since it will probably be taking the leftovers from the HoN/DOTA players...

5. Novacaine

Novacaine Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 780 3GB
    Finally, a person who likes HoN better but does not totally **** all over League of Legends when talking about it. I've recently been playing a few HoN games myself, and I believe there will be some healthy competition.

6. Novacaine

Novacaine Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 780 3GB
    This thread deserves a healthy bump. Season one just came out; the game's hotter than ever. Take that HoN!

7. demm

demm Master Guru

GPU:
    8600GTS
    I was thinking about givin' it a try, a little late I know, but what the hell. How's the game, I mean is it glitchy now or something.

Overall expressions from it, is what I'm looking for:p

8. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Except that DoTA sucks and was stolen by the current "Developer" lol.

Aeon of Strife, mucho better, the people who made DoTA deserve nothing but death for what they did to WarCraft III. They've also stepped up the gaming community to be more competitive, another bad thing.

9. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    I play this game occasionally, it's not as annoying to play as HoN. If you like the game style but don't want to need to have 200apm to play, then League is for you.

10. Novacaine

Novacaine Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 780 3GB
    Since this game's popularity has grown tenfold, I don't doubt that there are quite a few members on the forum who are playing it at this time. Also, a ton of new content came out since the last time I posted in here.

So, I think this thread deserves a hyper-bump.

11. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Holy Necro Batman.. I think this is the original thread?

Just thought I'd put this here because it was pretty cool, I don't actually play this game... but by golly do they make awesome cinematic video's for it.

Last years cinematic was really really awesome too.

cerebus23 likes this.