LCD wide monitor, worth it?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Abrams, Nov 23, 2008.

1. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    uuh.... no? 1080p = 1920x1080, which i believe is a 16:9 resolution. 1920x1200 is the 16:10 equivalent... but still a bit higher resolution than "High Def". both of which are easily capable on a DVI connection too. the only thing i could see making it "full HDMI" is if the monitor as well as the video card had sound output capabilities.

2. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    You don't pay for a S-PVA panel for swivel, pivot or USB ports...

Do some reading: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/specs.htm

3. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0
    Dell SP2208WFP FTW! 22" 1680x1050 2ms response time VGA/DVI/HDMI awesome picture and built-in webcam.

4. scurvy

scurvy Banned

GPU:
    Asus 8800 Ultra OCd
    I have 21" IBM monitor with Sony FD Trinitron tube, and its still perfect.
    CRTs are still better for gaming than LCDs. If ur monitor is big enough spend ur money elsewhere

5. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Hilarious that you would take a 21" CRT over a 1200p HD 24" Display. I've played on a lot of CRTs and none compare to my S-PVA BenQ FP241W, especially not an IBM CRT.

6. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    Aww damn! I msut sell my SyncMaster 244T and get that one.

On topic, IMO it's worth it, this monitor wasnt cheap a bit over year ago when I bough this but was well worth it.

7. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    I don't need to read it and I view my monitor straight on - not from the right or left. My nature background looks almost 3D and I have an HDMI port...meets my needs perfectly.

8. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    It's not only viewing angle either, don't forget color reproduction.

a little info:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  9. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Yeah but that would of course depend on what you see as looking good in a monitor, and personally I find that the colour reproudction from LCDs can't match CRTs in terms of producing natural looking colours (too much overvibrance, looks bad to me)

10. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    It's the difference between orange and neon orange to me. CRT's do natural better but the good mva and ips screens are very nice. Definitely the way to go with LCD's. After using an LCD for two years(samsung 205bw) I've decided to go back to CRT. I will be keeping the LCD for web browsing and text based stuff though, so I'll have the best of both worlds. If IPS weren't so expensive I'd actually pick one up though.

11. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    S-PVA is the perfect middle ground between TN and S-IPS.

12. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    LedHed: i'm not so sure about the whole color reproduction thing between the different panel types. I mean.... i went from a Gateway FPD2185W 21" widescreen LCD to a Gateway FHD2400 24" widescreen LCD.... and if i have the same pictures open on both of them.... or the same backgrounds.... the color quality of my new 24" is MUCH better than that of the 21", and from what i've heard the FHD2400 uses a TN panel.

13. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    That is a sub $300 S-PVA panel, one of the cheapest available. If you are going to to compare TN and S-PVA at least look at a BenQ model. I wasn't even aware they made S-PVA panels that cheap until I searched your model number. It has sub-par brightness and its an old 8ms S-PVA panel, not one of the new 6ms models (BenQ FP241W - http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2006/11/07/Benq_FP241W/1). You can't compare a high end TN to a super low end S-PVA.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  14. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    .... according to Gateway's specs, it's a 5ms response time, or 3ms with UltraResponse enabled. Don't quite get what you mean by sub-par brightness. Right now i have the brightness setting on my monitor at 0, and the contrast at 50, and it's about as bright as i prefer to have a monitor. turning the brightness up to it's default value of 50 is quite bright.

15. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    I mean it's a 300cd/m^2 brightness and mine is a 500. You realize I'm talking about the the S-PVA panel is 8ms right? Not the 24" you are using now.

16. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    oh..... ur talking about my old 21"? guess that'd probably explain it. lol

freakin love my 24"-er.

17. Abrams

Abrams Master Guru

GPU:
    9800 gtx+/8850m gddr5
    Ok, anyone care to point me to an article that explains wth is S-PVA and other stuff you discuss?

tnx :)

18. DmZ

DmZ Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260@285 Speeds
    In general, if you use your PC for graphics applications and you need to be 100% accurate for commercial purposes (print; web pages; photo editing) a CRT is still the way to go because they do have a slight edge in 1:1 color reproduction.

However, if you are just a PC enthusiast who wants to play games with a wider FOV and you sit at the computer for hours on end... I strongly recommend a LCD simply because A) They are much more energy efficient (less heat too), B) They are easier on the eyes (less eye strain), and C) they can double as movie screens for HD content by default.

I bought my 22" (1680x1050) KDS lcd monitor (5ms response time) about a year go on sale for about $200 when Comp USA was going out of business. It was a good deal because most 22" and up LCDs cost $250, or more. I realize everyone might not be that lucky, but if you can find deals like this... Especially in this economy... I would advise getting an LCD even if you still prefer CRT. This way you can compare the two and even have both if you prefer. I also have a solid 19" CRT that is now in storage in case this LCD ever goes out, or I want to hook up a second monitor in a dual monitor configuration.

19. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Exactly what I'm planning on doing when I have the money for a new build.

20. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    I can get any look I want at these specs:

Actual Screen Size:24"
    Horizontal Viewing Angle:160
    Input Signal:Analog
    Digital
    Maximum Response Time:2ms
    Mount Type:Wall-mountable
    Number of Screens:1
    Pixel Pitch:0.27mm
    Screen Technology:Active Matrix TFT
    Vertical Viewing Angle:160
    Viewable Screen Size:24"
    Video Brightness:400 cd/m
    Contrast Ratio:3000:1
    Maximum Resolution:1920 x 1200
    Resolution:1920 x 1200
    Warranty Parts Warranty/Labor:3 Year
    Standard Warranty:3 Year Limited
    If there're good and bad TN panels; then I've got the best. ;)