LCD is no match for my new LED 46" pc monitor hehe

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by damien666, Aug 1, 2010.

1. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    yes i have to agree ive turned it off it doesnt even allow me to run at the negative 100hz only 60hz :( whats the point lol

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  3. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    I don't know why whould you say CRT were soo "awesome" . This is my third LCD display i got .

And i would say picture is much better than on my CRTs.

It's "clear" compared to any CRT i saw. 1920x1080' for 24' is awesome for me.

+ For uber high res like you mentioned you need insane GPU power , even with maximum you can achieve in current PC you may not achieve stable 60FPS.

Recently i bought 32' Sony Bravia TV with LED Backlight, i also have 32' Sony CRT. Image on new Sony Bravia is much better.

+ My eyes don't hurt

Also i can't comprehend how people confuse LED Bakclight technology with LCD ...

4. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    No, that is exactly what TV's do, that's just ordinary frame interpolation. And it's freaking terrible, it completely ruins the way the movie is meant to look, and gives it sort of a "home movie" look. There are other ways of making 24p content smoother without actually increasing the framerate, for example by increasing the refresh rate in even numbers. It won't make it perfectly smooth, but it helps and it doesn't ruin the "movie look" the way frame interpolation does.

Also, I think you're underestimating the video processing horsepower of modern TV's. ;)

5. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Now that you are using your TV for productive use, such as photo, are you still happy that you bought "shiny and saturated colors" instead of "calibrated to sRGB or AdobeRGB(1998)"? ;)

//Svein

6. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I fully agree - using a TV as monitor is kinda silly in the first place, but actually using it for colour accurate RGB work....

7. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Let's just say that there's a reason why I prefer Eizo monitors. I've spent too much time trying to get a decent calibration out of something that doesn't have uniform backlight, etc...

//Svein

8. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Oh, yes, uniform backlight is one of my number one priorities when purchasing displays. That's one of the reasons I forked out for one of the top models in Eizo's consumer line ($1700... I tried a number of cheaper displays first and they all bled backlight in some way or another) and have a plasma screen (Kuro) in my living room.

9. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Uniform backlight, pixel density (more pixels per inch), color accuracy, and that the monitor allows me to upload the calibration into the monitors internal LUT.

Personally I'm using one of the cheaper Eizos (2242), but at 30 cm range 22" is plenty for me. ;)

//Svein

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    It isnt the same, you can program how it functions yourself, it makes heavy use of my 4 cores!
    There are many user made scripts to be found, choose one that you prefer or tweak to your satisfaction.

11. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    The LUT itself is important as well... banding does my head in!

12. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    But it is the same, I'm not sure why you're denying it when the topic you linked to clearly says "frame doubling interpolation". Here, read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_interpolation

The technique used in TV's is the same, although to a varying degree.

FYI I have tried the same thing you're linking to and I absolutely hated it.

13. BoudahXL

BoudahXL Member

GPU:
    GTX295 BFG
    Amen, and what's worst is that half the time the result is a yellowish tint because they use cheap @$$ LED for backlight, where CCFL is almost always white.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for a good white LED, but too many times they just put cheap yellowish ones, just take Apple's first LED backlight display 3 years ago, they were just plain horribly yellow.

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Fair enough if you dislike it but you need to try what I am talking about, not the 'same thing'.
    I have no doubt your answer will be the same though :)