LCD displays used for 3d stereo . . .soon?

Discussion in '3D Stereo and VR Gaming Section' started by pdq72, Jul 27, 2003.

1. pdq72

pdq72 Guest

I have been conteplating the purchase of another monitor for stereo viewing. I cant stand the ghosting. But it seems that all CRT monitors that are out there exhibit enough ghosting to be noticeable and sometimes annoying.

However, I wonder if I wait say another year if LCDs will be fast enough to use for stereo3D. Right now some of them have 75Hz refresh. So if today you play a game with the vsync enabled (limit the FPS to 75) no ghosting, right? Of course it looks terrible because of flicker

So lets say you can buy an LCD display with a max rate of 100Hz. That would meet nvidia's min rec rate for stereo viewing. Enable vsync in the game, and there you have it ghost free stereo viewing.

Besides LCD seems to be the wave of the future. CRTs are on there way out. I cant find anymore good CRT displays at any retail stores like Best Buy, Circuit City, Comp USA. They all have LCDs. I just hope that LCD technology will progress quick enough to allow for 3d viewing.

Any thoughts?

2. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    As far as i know, the goggles don't work with LCD.
    If you want, there are STEREO LCD MONITORS, that you do not need goggles. But guess what.
    Those are expensive as hell ;)

3. SamualT

SamualT Member

LCD's are too slow. Go try to play Doom or Quake on a laptop and you'll see what I mean. The screen just can't keep up. It gets blurry.

Glidefan is correct, the only 3d LCD I know of is the LCD Lenticular screens. If you have a couple thousand dollars you can get one and try it. But I don't think even those are fast enough for games. Just for pictures.

If ghosting is your main problem then just consider a better monitor, or glasses. Some people are going to be more annoyed by such things then others. I hardly notice it. A monitor that can be pushed faster will get rid flicker. But I think ghosting comes from the glasses not turning dark quick enough (I seriously doubt its the phosphor not having time to die off).

I use Edminsional glasses on a 19" Daewoo (middle of the road) Monitor and it looks great. I only notice ghosting when there is a dark scene with one very bright object. Even then it's minimal.

I like the Nvidia drivers so I'm usually page-flipping with the monitor set at 100hz refresh. But you might try under/over format which I hear gives zero flicker. Perhaps it gets rid of ghosting too! Don't know.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2003
  4. biosylum

biosylum Guest

I haven't looked to deeply into why LCD's cannot do 3D. Hopefully the original poster is correct in that the only real limitation is the refresh rate. Someday they will have higher refresh rates (I assume) and that would be just hunky-dorry!

I am mostly address the posters other points. First, I believe that ghosting is just going to be there no matter what. People say they don't really notice it, and that it isn't that bad with good glasses/monitors. The first part is true; if you are engrossed in game play, you really can ignore it. I think the people who easily saw the 3D images in those "magic eye" posters will have no problem will ghosting effects that all shutterglasses have. If you had any difficulty viewing those posters, I do not think you will be comfortable with todays 3D glasses. The ghosting effect is most easily ignored when your eyes easily adjust "on the fly" to the 3D envioronment. In games, your eyes have to constantly refocus, depending on the depth of the image you are staring at. This is what most people actually are complaining about, even though it comes out as panning the "ghosting" effect. You either get 3D gaming, or you struggle with it, and if your eyes can't adjust as fast as the game environment, you will just not like it. At that point, the ghosting is an easy target to pick on. I can notice ghosting all the time, and easily focus on it - but I can also put it right out of my mind, and ignore it, by focussing my eyes correctly. This is a skill. It is something you can get better at with practice, once you get past the learning curve of actually getting the glasses to function properly in your system.

The second part of this concerns the speed of LCD monitors in gaming. All I ever hear about is how bad they are for gaming. ell phooey on that! Get a good video card, get a good LCD with a decent response time (25ms and under) and damnit!!!! YOU WILL BE HAPPY!!! Don't for get to throw in a good DVI cable that connects that good video card with the good LCD monitor! My friend bought a Dell 1800FP, and I was holding my breath concerning what he would think of the gaming aspect. Hell, that thing rocks!!! IF you are such a dedicated gamer that you absolutely will not put up with anything less that perfect, then you would not be looking into 3D glasses in the first place. Gaming with 3D glasses is personal event, and not ready for multiplayer experiences (unless of course both parties are using them). I only wish I could game in 3D with an LCD monitor, and for that matter, I already can. See, don't let them fool ya, you can use LCD monitors already with shutter glasses. The bummer part is that it looks rather bad, both the 3D effect, and the images themselves. Why does 3D, and image quality, suffer you ask.... because to get 3D on a standard LCD, you need to switch to anaglyph mode to run 3D. Anaglyph is the old 3D method of using red/blue lenses to filter the images, and hence trick your eyes into seeing 3D. It works with LCD monitors because there is no page flipping involved - just one image made up of two slightly off color images. It completely fades out the beautiful colors, but the 3D effect does work. Heck, I can even get this 3D effect to work with my DLP (digital light projector). Imagine 3d images that are movie screen size! I can adjust my DLP 4' images, to 30' images, and with anaglyph turned on, I can see 3D! But like I said, it looks just crappy! The cool side of this is that 3D lenses are basically el-cheapo, and everyone in the room can watch at the same time - if you have enough glasses for everyone. The one downside is that only Nvidia cards have the anaglyph mode, and ATI cards will likely never implement it. Just as well though, as you only use it for like 5 minutes, just to show people that it can be done.

gotta run - bios