Large Frame Drop with FlashOSD Enabled...

Discussion in 'ATI Tray Tools Public Beta Section' started by Formula350, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Formula350

Formula350 Member

GPU:
    2x ASUS CUcore 5770
    <----System and OS
    Cat 10.5 drivers

FPS counter doesn't impact but 1.3 fps, where as the Flash being on imposes a 49.2 fps and 1629.1 MTs single texture / 10559.3 MTs multi texture! Took me quite awhile to track down this strange FPS drop when ATT was loaded :\ I do have a decent amount of items loaded in, since it is Crossfire double all these: GPU t, Core MHz, Mem MHz, GPU Usage%.

Tested with 3DM2001 Nature Demo, Fill rate Single Texture and Multi Texture. As I'm sure you're asking "Why?", well because I had it downloaded already, I'm on a poor connection (long story) and capped monthly bandwidth. Plus I wanted something consistent AND what would provide an easy task for my system so I could gauge exactly how much of a performance hit is imposed by the registry changes I make...

Now the data, if you want it:
    Tests ran w/ 16xAA Wide-tent (32x samples), ASTT, ASBT, EATM, AA Mode set to Adaptive MSAA (not that it does anything compared to normal MSAA mode), 16x HQ-AF and a few other less important things also turned on.
    3DM01 settings: 1680x1050, Triple Buffering, DXT1,

OSD OFF
    Nature 151.2 fps
    Single 12794.5 MTs
    Multi 35294.5 MTs

OSD ON
    Nature 111.4 fps
    Single 11165.4 MTs
    Multi 24735.5 MTs

I think that should cover it. Onto the question: Nature of the beast, or should ATT's FlashOSD not be impacting performance that badly?

2. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    I always wrote that FlashOSD must not be enabled "Show all times" unless you need it for specific task. It's not a bug nor a problem of ATT :) FlashOSD will impact on performance and I can do nothing with it. Don't want to go deep inside technical implementation, but this is only safest way to render something inside game engine without breaking a lot of things :)

3. Formula350

Formula350 Member

GPU:
    2x ASUS CUcore 5770
    I understand :) It has to do with some of the games reporting that sort of thing as a false-positive game hack/cheat.

I also appologize for not seeing the FAQ in the main forum as I see that you had answered that :\

As a followup though, are you aware of any large impact of actual GAME performance while using FPS-OSD and/or FlashOSD? Since the game I play has no internal FPS counter that I'm aware of, and I can't get the MSI Afterburner OSD to display, I've no way to see of any FPS difference...

Appreciate responses and the patience with me! lol I'm not AS much of a n00b as I may come across as, but I haven't had a new computer since 2006 and also never bothered with the OSD except a couple times :)

4. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    Only FPS counter has very small impact on performance, 1-2fps, not more. So you should not care about it :)