Laptop temperature concern

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by rylen, Jan 31, 2012.

1. rylen

rylen Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1060 6GB
    I got a new laptop (MSI GE620DX)

Specs: 2nd Gen Core i5 2410M 2.3Ghz turbo boost 2.9Ghz / 8GB DDR3 / Geforce GT555M stock clocks core/shader/mem (650/1300/900 effective 1800) / Full HD screen

NOTE: These temps are recorded with laptop cooling pad (just a cheap brand)

highest CPU temp recorded (Turbo Boost Enabled): 95 degrees C
    highest CPU temp recorded (Turbo Boost Disabled via ThrottleStop): 89 degrees C

highest GPU temp recorded: 93 Degrees C (even if I underclock the GPU it still reach 93C)

I'll try to post later some pics when I have some time,

it's only a week old and I can play games on it without any problems, I played Modern Warfare 3 last night for almost 2 hours (max settings / 1600 x 900 / 4x AA) and there's no throttling down nor shutdowns due to high temps, my fps is constant but the temps are too high and I'm afraid that it would eventually burn my laptop's board :wanker:

What should I do? this laptop seems stable but the temps are crazy high :bang:

Sorry for my english (not my native language) :nerd:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  2. orion24

orion24 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1254/1703
  3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Hmm that's the trouble with many laptops is they run hot.

If it's brand new maybe take it back and swap for one with better cooling....

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    the problem is that in time,the laptop will heat up even more.
    dust,the thermal paste dries,everything counts,so in the end the laptop will shut down ..
    if it is new,while you can-if you can -change it for a model with better cooling.
    onother solution is to modify the VGA bios,lowering the voltage,thus lowering the temperature.
    ask djjonastybe,he can drop a hint in how to do it.

5. GandraZz

GandraZz Master Guru

GPU:
    555m 2GB 665/1330 FHD
    First thing change thermal paste and get Cooler Master NotePal U3 or U2.
    Also you got crappy ddr3 128bit version of 555m or crappy ddr5 version? (I have ddr3 128bit and can really feel that memory bottleneck)

6. rylen

rylen Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1060 6GB
    Thanks for your inputs guys :)

@orion24: my cooling pad doesn't have any sensors to monitor my laptops temp, I used the software you suggested to monitor my temps and for GPU temps I used GPU-Z for monitoring,

@Pill Monster and anticupidon: I talked with someone from the shop where I bought this laptop and he told me that they can replace it but the only laptop that they can give me have a weaker GPU, the laptop they're offering me is this: Asus K53SD SX656 *15.6-in. / i7-2670 / 4Gb / 750Gb 7200 / NVIDIA GT610 2GB

I'm not sure if I want to trade this laptop with the one they're offering because of its weaker GPU :confused:

another thing is under normal usage (browsing, streaming youtube videos, simple office work, etc.,) this laptop's temperature is fine, I can't even feel any heat from the palm rest and keyboard, max temp I recorded is 59 degrees C for CPU and 50 degrees C for GPU. I'm thinking I'll stick with this laptop and stress it to the max while I'm still covered with the 1 year warranty.

What do you think guys?

7. rylen

rylen Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1060 6GB
    I got the crappy ddr3 128bit version but I'm not really very demanding with these things, as long as I can play my games at least at 720p resolution medium to high settings then I'm good :)

I was thinking of changing the thermal paste but it would void my warranty :giggle2:

8. styka

styka Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 480 8GB RD
    i thought those are reasonable temperatures when having gpu and cpu work out 100%, notebooks do tend to get that high afaik, unless it was made especially for gaming.

it has reasonable temps while having normal usage, if it goes as high as 60-70 on normal usage then that is an issue.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Can't they upgrade GPU in the ASUS laptop?

10. GandraZz

GandraZz Master Guru

GPU:
    555m 2GB 665/1330 FHD
    are you 100% sure? I think all laptop manufacturers allows to change termal paste/clean dust.

gpu is integrated in motherboard.

11. mmicrosysm

mmicrosysm Master Guru

GPU:
    Cirrus Logic GD5430 1Meg
    I do believe that will void his warranty due to the fact he would have to disassemble the laptop.

12. GandraZz

GandraZz Master Guru

GPU:
    555m 2GB 665/1330 FHD
    In some loptops you just need to open bottom panel. Like mine clevo w150hrm/xmg a501 and my warranty is very "freely" i can disassemble, break/mod :D ,upgrade and still have warranty.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  13. gunman127

gunman127 Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti 6GB 960 2GB
    In the UK at least, the "Warranty void if removed" stickers are not legally binding.

All computers, laptop and desktop, are User Servicable devices.

Consider if a car manufacturer said you would void your warranty if you changed the oil yourself... that's the sort of thing it compares to.

I've had Dell laptops and desktops where everything except the motherboard an PSU are changed by the owner, and Dell still replaced the motherboards under Warranty when it failed.

14. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    almost all laptops i opened,had a small yellow sticker on top of one screw wich helds the cooling system in place.
    once the sticker breaks off,you just lost your warranty.
    i had several talks with Acer/Packard Bell tech guys,they all said the same,they refuse to cover warranty in this case.and not only from Acer...

15. GandraZz

GandraZz Master Guru

GPU:
    555m 2GB 665/1330 FHD
    Thats is so stupid.:3eyes:

16. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 Super WC
    Don't change your laptop for the one with GT610 GPU - it is really an entry level GPU designed to be maybe a little faster than integrated Intel HD3000. So you will be doing a big downgrade comparing to 555.

Maybe guys at store that you bought your laptop have another piece of the same model. Try to run some temp checks on it - maybe there is something wrong with your cooling solution, because 90C+ on a brand new laptop is very high, especially for CPU. In time, like somebody has already mentioned, those temps will get even worse.

Also, try running your laptop without cooling pad - how are temps then? I had a case, when laptop got higher temps with cooling pad because of weirdly designed cooling solution :)

17. rylen

rylen Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1060 6GB
    guys I asked someone from the shop again about changing the thermal compound and the guy said that removing the sticker blocking one of the screws will void my warranty :bang:

@Pill Monster: they can't change the GPU because it's embedded on the motherboard, they had another Asus model that have a GT540M and Core i7 processor but this model is out of stock and they don't know when they'll get the next batch,

@CoreyPL: yeah I checked the specs of that GT610 I don't want to downgrade to that, I tried using my laptop without the cooling pad and it's 3 to 4 degrees C hotter on the CPU side while the GPU still peaked at 93C,

I think I'll bring it to the nearest MSI service center and ask if I or if they can change the thermal paste though I'm not sure if it'll help. I'm also using this laptop for work I'm a steel detailer/3D modeler and the software I'm using is Tekla Structures, I use this laptop 8am to 9pm and max temp I get is 61C for the CPU and 53C for the GPU,

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  18. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3080 Strix H20
    Reapply thermal paste, ive personally seen 30c drop on cpu on my laptop

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Manufacturers do a ****ty job of applying thermal paste.....and I'm being polite....

20. mmicrosysm

mmicrosysm Master Guru

GPU:
    Cirrus Logic GD5430 1Meg
    Yea I've worked on those in the past but most still require you to tear the whole thing down to get to CPU/Heatsink.