Laptop Problems (Dell inspiron 6000)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Beren-OneHand, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Beren-OneHand

Beren-OneHand Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    ok, my girlfriend has a problem with her laptop, that i havent been able to fix.

ok, after her laptop is idle for a while, and the mouse doesnt move on one side of the screen, its like it hits a wall. Usually, she can restart the computer and this problem goes away. However, this last time she restarted it, the dell symbol came up, and then the screen went blank. Now, i'm pretty sure its not a virus, because she's not going to any virusy sites, and i just updated her virus protection and manually scanned the whole computer (found nothing) on Friday, so this has me stumped

anyone here got any ideas on this problem?

2. Kow

Kow Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 5850
    I wonder if it could be overheating. If it will boot try running prime95 (if it's a p4 run two of them). Torture Test -> the one with maximum heat consumption. If that does nothing, there is a good chance it might be the hard drive. At work I have a really nice notebook to IDE and then IDE to usb adapter so I always take out the HD, plug it into a desktop and listen to the HD to make sure when it is being read or written to that it sounds constant. Other possibilities is the memory. Try running memtest86 on it. If you have a USB floppy that will be nice for that, but if not you'd probably have to put memtest on a cd and boot it. Run that through 3 test, that will take 50-60min. If there is more then one stick try running the comp with only 1 stick in, if that doesnt work try the other stick. If nothing after that it is either the CPU or motherboard more then likely. It sounds hardware related since you said it frooze and the Dell symbol (frooze and BIOS POSTing).

3. Beren-OneHand

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    i can access the Bios, but it won't boot up to the screen

i hope its a heat issue, if its the hard drive, she has all of her papers in there and it'd be the worst thing in the world, she's already under a lot of stress

4. Kow

Kow Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 5850
    Try taking out the hard drive and see if the BIOS will post and get you to the no os found screen.

5. Beren-OneHand

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    any other ideas?

6. Kow

Kow Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 5850
    Dell Inspiron 6000 sound newer, they should still be under warranty. Send it in to Dell.

7. Kon$olE

Kon$olE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070
    Yeah, if its still under warranty the first thing you should do is get dell to hepl you fix it. There acctually not all that bad at doing so.

8. BeMyMonkey

BeMyMonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9300M GS
    Hmmm... sounds a bit like a touchpad problem - my Acer's has problems like that when it gets too cold...

9. Kow

Kow Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 5850
    Build a PE (Preinstallation Environment) with PE Builder and boot it. Not many people make use of these very useful boot cd's. It's like Windows on a CD. And if that has issues, then it is definitely hardware related.

10. SYSCLoK

SYSCLoK Member Guru

GPU:
    Sparkle GeForce 6 6600 128MB, 128 b
    Well since its a Laptop try to take out the HDD, and connect it to another laptop..if it works BACKUP all her documents and then, send it to Dell.

The most important its her Docs right?

:dave: