Laptop P4's?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by MM-K, Jul 12, 2005.

1. MM-K

MM-K Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 1GB
    Just a quick question, do laptop P4's (Northwood) work on desktop motherboards?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2005
  2. SorienOR

SorienOR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    Short answer, no. P4-M is a different cpu. Same number of pins but not compatible with desktop 478 sockets.

3. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino Staff Member

GPU:
    old
    You can however buy an adaptor from asus to put a p-m on certain asus 478 mobos (I want to say the p4p is one of them, but you'd wanna double check that). Overclocks like a friggin banshee. P-Ms are expensive as hell, but overclocked tehy domate everything else on teh market, at stock the 2.13Ghz is simlar to a 4000+ or even an fx-55. They also sell 915PM desktop boards (P-M, DDR2 533, PCI-E). Again, this is prolly not a cost efefctive solution

4. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
    Really, the P4-M is? Or do you mean the P-M?

5. dismal

dismal Member Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6600GT AGP / 81.94
    P4 Mobile Northwood in a desktop board, YES.

Do not confuse the P4M with the Pentium 4 Mobile Northwood, The Mobile Pentium 4 Northwoods do work on SOME desktop motherboards. The Pentium M's are socket 479 and need a Micro ATX motherboard to run on and you can find them at Newegg. Mobile Pentiums are great overclockers and low heat producers but finding a board that supports them is tough. I can tell you that Mobile Celerons do indeed work but the Pin Trick is needed in SOME boards, other boards no mod is needed.

I have a 2.2Ghz Mobile Celeron 256k Cache running in an ABIT SA7. Mobile Celerons have 256k Cache and the desktop Celerons have 128K. Which makes a Mobile Celeron in a desktop quite fast and run very cool.

Here is an old school post i made about how to get a Mobile Celeron Northwood to work on any P4 Desktop board. "VID4 Pin Trick gets Mobile Celerons to work on Desktop Boards!" http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83136&highlight=pin+trick

After reading my post at that link you will notice that a Mobile Pentium 4 Northwood, socket 478 will most likely work on any desktop 478 board. The VID for a celeron and a pentium are not the same, that is why a pin trick is needed for a Celeron so that the Celeron can get voltage to it. The one problem is that a Pentium has 'speed stepping' and will get stuck at a low, default, 12X multi and can not be changed in a desktop boards bios so you have to crank the FSB way up. But with good cooling and ram people have reported good results. With a celeron the multi will be the stock one. So it's either loose 256k and go with a celeron that has a high multi, or go with the Pentium that will always default to 12X and has 512k Cache. But mind you there are even more pin tricks that can get the Pentium to boot at a 200Mhz bus. IE: 200 x 4 = 800 FSB.

Here is the speed difference between a stock 2.6C and a overclocked mobile celeron in the same setup with a 9500Pro and 1GB of dual channel ram.

Intel 2.6C Stock Speed Hyperthreading Off: (Flyby: 164.5)-(BotMatch: 62.3)
    Mobile Intel Celeron C1 Stepping 2.2@3.0Ghz: (Flyby: 158.6)-(BotMatch: 55.9)

Still pretty kick ass for a mobile celeron eh? A $40 chip.

Well check out that link and ask me a question if you have any.

...dismal...

6. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Ah yes, the classics... XP-Ms really caught on, but that's about been the extent of it until some desktop P-M boards came out, and even that hasn't caught on too much due to lack of mobo features and price. Never heard too much about Pentium 4 mobile overclocking or even mobile Athlon 64 overclocking, though there were a few people out there who tried it. But I'm betting on a mobile renissance when the dual-core .065 micron P-M comes out, probably lots of enthusiasts will snap those up.

7. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Speaking of which, why are these things so friggen' expensive? Do they have to pay Intel $100 for every P-M desktop board they make or something? Sarcasm, of course, but I seriously don't understand it...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813137061
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813137057
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136150

Even the older 855GM boards are still expensive, doesn't seem like a supply and demand problem to me...

8. dismal

dismal Member Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6600GT AGP / 81.94
    Wow the AOpen i915GMm is a sweet board with a serious price tag. of $320. It supports standard DDR and DDR2. Check out a post one guy made, a %160 overclock with a 1.5Ghz 715 Model running at 2.49ghz. That would be some serious speed. It also looks like the new M's now have Hyperthreading or at least it says that board supports it. But still no Dual Channel ram ability. However Dual Channel still only provides %5 more speed in most cases.

Very impressive price tags. And I think because for two reasons, one being no dual channel and two they are only making MICRO ATX and not full sized ATX desktop boards. This may be the reason that they have hardly any demand unless you are rich and want a small and quiet beast of a system. Producing a very small quantity of electronics boosts a companies costs way up. But anyways a board like that and a Pentium M really would make for a serious beast.

On the other hand you can still build a very fast system on a desktop board with a mobile pentium or celeron, Northwood versions. They are my know-how so I can't give advice on the LGA mobiles.

9. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    With DDR-2 it should be dual-channel, and no hyperthreading with P-Ms... Ya know, Asus could make an adapter so a P-M could work on a S478 board, I wonder how much of a redesign this could have required even in theory. But in any event, I think the adapter is much better option at present, $200-$300 for a cruddy little board is a total deal breaker in my book.