Laptop overheating need help

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by distant, Sep 17, 2015.

1. distant

distant Guest

GPU:
    7970m
    Hello on the forums

All temps mentioned are in celcius.
    I just bought a used Clevo P170em, i7 3610 qm, with 7950m.
    I noticed temps were pretty high and have reapplied thermal paste to cpu and gpu. Cleaned fans and so on.
    Used Artic silver mx-2, which have no curing time as far as i know.

When gaming hearthstone a simple not so graphic intesive game, cpu is at 55 - 58 on most cores, gpu around 60.
    If i play diablo 3 gpu will hit 85 to 90 degrees, cpu 60+.
    Farcry 4 will make the gpu hit 100 and ofc i instantly closed the game.
    I ran a basic 3dmark 11, and cpu was average 65 but dit hit 75 at one point, gpu was average 87 and did hit 97 at one point.

The thermal paste before reapplying was uneven applied and spilled to the sides etc. I have done this to hundreds of desktops and laptops but still i might be doing something wrong.
    I used spread method for the i7 3610qm as advised by arctic silver.
    Used bean method on the 7950m.

The 7950m can have its paste reapplied without disassembling heat spread on the ram, so i have not changed the pads on the ram since it has not been disassembled, but considering also replacing them as soon as i figure out the right ones to get without ruining old ones, need to use my laptop daily so cant just shut it off for a week while i wait for the delivery of the right ones.

Using amd 13.12, newest gives me alot less performance like loose 20% or more.

Considering testing thermal pads just too see if i tim it wrong or if i need to mod fans or something instead.

Any suggestions are greatly welcomed.

2. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
  3. distant

distant Guest

GPU:
    7970m
    Thanks, looking at the list mx-2 does quite well still.
    Will try some thin pads and better paste see what works out best.
    Hope to find the vram pads somewhere, just cant find info on their thickness yet.

Anyone have good experience replacing stock fans at gpu + cpu ?

I dont mind going the extra mile with this laptop since i can upgrade the gpu and cpu quite alot when needed.

Ordered a good laptop cooler to be underneath, should hopefully also help a few degrees or more.

4. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    The only fans you will get to fit that laptop are the ones that come with it, or replacements that are the exact same, so unless your fans are broken that won't do much.

You could look into doing this, but make sure to do it last as you're obviously taping the fan to the heatsink making it difficult to remove it again without tearing the tape

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-7970m-gpu-cooling-performance-foiled.674825/

Although that person seems to have a really bad fit on the heatsink in the first place, mines is nowhere near that

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    in some rare cases ,the heatpipes can have some fissures and leak.Thus unable to transfer heat as they should be.But as i said,in very rare cases,had 2 in 4 years of laptop repairs,same model from HP.

scatman839's advice is the cheapest and safest thing you can do right away without any risk.i say go for it.

6. distant

distant Guest

GPU:
    7970m
    good idea, thanks a ton m8, my exact model and gfx glad you found that thread!
    will inspect the heatpipes aswell.

I feel quite certain the foil tape and a cooler will do the trick.
    Heat dissipation is very good, it falls extremely fast in temps, a more reliable steady airflow is what is needed i am sure of it :)

7. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    haha I knew about it already cause I have the 15" version, the p150em.

Was tempted to do it myself but I need to quite regularly take mine apart to pick out dust

8. distant

distant Guest

GPU:
    7970m
    Bought the aluminium tape, applied it took about 2 mins, easy to take off again.
    So far temps has dropped alot, perhaps 10-20 average on both cpu and gpu.
    Applied alu tape to both fans, and helped both alot.

3dmark was earlier: cpu average 65 max 75 , gpu average 87 and 97 max.
    After appliying tape: cpu average 55 max 67, gpu average 70 max 76.
    Huge difference!

9. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Wow that's uh, really tempting.

I should have some alu tape somewhere, was using it earlier in the week, will need to test removal first though since it seemed to stick really well

10. distant

distant Guest

GPU:
    7970m
    It does stick well but it seems to be the same type as used other places like behind the lcd screen and so on, and never had issues removing residue from the glue. But then again those places never were as hot :)

Will probably try repasting it within a month to readjust the 2 heatpipes from gpu propperly too maximize airflow. They are off little bit and i do think that would give a degree or 2, upgrade to best paste aswell.
    But will recieve my new laptop cooler tomorrow so hope i can just game at safe emps and put off the total upgrade a little bit :)

11. distant

distant Guest

GPU:
    7970m
    I am certain it would be advisable to do it underneath aswell, but havent tested it yet, will test it at some point and return with results.

Could either totally encase the spacing and copper "fins" to make sure no airflow is lost and all air flows the same way.

Or just use it minimally for the gaps from fan to copper.

Will test both but at the moment i have encased it entirely on top, actually closing the top of the copper "fins". Thinking the air that would go out their would be a certain degree and just letting it out in the casing will not be advisable to keep a cool environment.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    This gives me an idea for my ex-wife's old Acer laptop. It's been overheating for the last 9 months.... Thanks for posting it.

13. Artas1984

Artas1984 Guest

Overheating problem in laptops - make sure you do not remove the rubbery substance from memory chips, make sure your laptop bottom has many ventilation holes, and make sure the clearance from the ground is high enough. Thermal paste quality is the least of your problems.

If you do not use DVD, remove it, absence of it will lower the system temps.

Most important make sure you are using a correct power supply provided by the vendor with minimum power requirements for you sys, because unlike in desktop computers, more powerful power supplies will damage your laptop. Example: if your laptop is rated at 90 W, do not use 130 W supply unless upgrading CPU or VGA.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2015