Laptop not recognizing the correct gpu?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by mcknme, Feb 7, 2012.

1. mcknme

mcknme New Member

GPU:
    xfgdxfg4
    Hello guys,

I recently bought a new HP Pavilion G6 laptop with a decent cpu, 4gb of RAM and a ATI Radeon HD 6470M graphics card, and soon noticed that the graphic performance was horrible. At first I thought it was simply because the graphics card was bad, but as I tried a few platforming games and even those were unplayable I became sceptic. I noticed that both CCleaner and CPU-Z listed "Intel HD Graphics Family" as my gpu, and I'm wondering if it's possible the system isn't even recognizing/using my ATI video card. I ran a FurMark test and it didn't go past 1fps, almost burning the thing. All drivers are up to date.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    I bought a HP g6 with AMD A4-3300M CPU, AMD HD 6480, 4 GB ram. HP also makes a g6 with an intel i3 I believe. I use it as a home theater PC and it works great for streaming 720 HD movies from my home server but I don't game on it. The only game I've loaded was Call of Duty MW just to see how it would do but I only got about 15 to 20 FPS, lol. You shouldn't be having any problems running platform games but don't expect to run any modern games on a HD 6470G.

I'm not sure what your problem is but CPU-Z does register my GPU as an AMD Radeon HD 6480G.

[​IMG]

3. bobkn

bobkn Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7970 3GB
  4. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    On some computers with switchable graphics the control software is an external program that needs profiles set up for each program you want to use the main GPU with.

I was just helping someone with this on the forum a week or two ago, I just can't quite remember what the program was specifically called. It might have just been in the control panel.

5. mcknme

mcknme New Member

GPU:
    xfgdxfg4
    Hey!

The laptop does indeed have switchable graphics (Catalyst), but there is no option to choose which vga you want to use, you can only switch between high performance and balanced. I keep mine on high performance all the time, and I'm still getting no "performance" at all.

6. mcknme

mcknme New Member

GPU:
    xfgdxfg4
    [​IMG]

See the Intel vga is always active... And no matter what I do, I can't switch it to Radeon. Since I've bought the laptop the Radeon vga hasn't even been used for a second.

7. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    There will be a way to set profiles for individual applications to tell the pc which GPU to use. Look in your manual, that's what I did last time I helped someone with this.

8. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    link to a similar thread:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=357712

and the what his manual said to do:

From your manual: