Laptop fan issue

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by Ewilusz, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Ewilusz

Ewilusz Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga 560gtx 1gb
    Hello, I recently purchased an MSI G60 laptop for gaming and um law school I guess, and it has an issue with the fan. The fan tends to rev up and down at random interevals for no reason, even when first booting up the pc for the day.

I downloaded msi afterburner but it will not let me adjust the fan speed. Anyone have an ideas?

2. Ice Cube

Ice Cube Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    Laptop fans usually spin faster when there's more load on the CPU, and slow down when the load's less, or it's running on batteries. But if its totally random, you could report it to the service center and get it fixed.

3. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    Yes, it's CPU and/or GPU temperature reaching the treshold and then stepping back when cooled. You can monitor it with a suitable software. pretty irritating but about every laptop I have had does the same. Clocking down if high performance isn't needed naturally helps - Asus laptops use Power4Gear to control CPU and Afterburner or something similar is suitable to clock the GPU down. As I'm using external screen via HDMI it prevents the GPU to step down. Just one step from three is available so even web browsing does eventually launch the fan if I don't clock the GPU down.

4. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    It will likely be turbo boost no?

If you want to turn it off, then limit your max cpu to 99% in one of your power plans.

5. laptopaid

laptopaid New Member

GPU:
    Alienware 766SN0 ATI
    You'll need to replace a new fan for your laptop.

6. BarryB

BarryB Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Is it a new laptop or second hand?

Sometimes on older laptops the fan exhaust fins get clogged with dust and block the flow of heat to the outside causing the heat to build up in the laptop and make the fan work harder due to the extra heat. Stripping the laptop down to the fan assembly is needed to clear the dust, which resembles grey cotton wool when packed into a small space like the fan housing!!

More likely it's a new laptop and the problem is as described in the previous posts!!